do i need a canadian passport??

Old Dec 28th 2011, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

kmcmull1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: do i need a canadian passport??

Originally Posted by bewillow
I think people landing are always referred to secondary screening.

It always feels difficult because it is at the end of a long flight, but actually they are pretty quick and friendly.
Brill...thank-you all again, I can rest well tonight knowing I've a couple less things to think/worry about.lol.

...until the next pondering immigration session....
Old Dec 28th 2011, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewillow
I think people landing are always referred to secondary screening.

It always feels difficult because it is at the end of a long flight, but actually they are pretty quick and friendly.
The operative word is MUST be referred to Immigration secondary however thats not always the case thank you LBPIA
Old Dec 28th 2011, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kmcmull1985
Thanks everyone for your discussions, it has been really helpful. Yes, you are correct about me having a canadian citizenship certificate. This was needed so my husband could apply for permanent residency. The problem is, in order for me to obtain a Canadian passport, I must have the form and passport photo signed by a guarantor who lives in Canada etc etc and who MUST know me personally, and we don't know anyone who could possibly sign this. Do you think it would be possible to use my Irish passport accompanied with my canadian citizenship certificate with the intention of getting a canadian passport when we arrive and actually get to know someone who could sign it?

Thanks again for this. Helping us a lot!!!
There's a separate passport application form for Canadians applying for passports from outside Canada. Your guarantor does NOT need to be a Canadian citizen and does NOT need to reside in Canada. You can use your dentist or GP if you want - as long as he/she has known you for 2 years. If you don't have an eligible guarantor, you can sign a separate form indicating that although this may delay the processing of your passport.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc040.pdf

"The guarantor is not required to be Canadian. If you have not known an eligible guarantor for at least two (2) years, complete form PPTC 132, Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor, available at any Government of Canada office that provides passport services. This form must be completed at your expense before a person authorized by law to administer an oath or solemn affirmation. This may delay the processing time of the passport."
Old Dec 31st 2011, 1:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks once again for your valid thoughts...

I've been pondering some more...my CCC has not been updated from I was a baby, as my mother got this in 1986 when I was a baby, therefore my last name will have changed as I have since married. This did no pose a problem when acting as sponsor for my husband and son. Will this affect anything if asked for my CCC?
Make sure you have your marriage certificate as evidence of change of name.

By any chance, was your son born before April 17, 2009? If so, he might already be a Canadian citizen depending on the exact nature of your citizenship documents. Do you have a Canadian citizenship certificate and if so, what does it say?

Another question...on entering Canada with my husband and baby boy (who are awaiting the final documentation for their visas), what way will this process work? Will we all enter as a family? Will we be called into a room or what generally happens?
The first line of immigration/customs control is managed by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). You will speak to a CBSA officer who, all going well, will admit you to Canada and refer your husband and son to "secondary" for their landing process. Secondary screening is managed by a Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) officer who will admit your husband and son as immigrants to Canada. They will get a Confirmation of Permanent Residence form - make sure the details are correct and don't lose it.

One further tip - as soon as your son has been admitted to Canada, you can immediately apply for him to be granted Canadian citizenship, if he's not already Canadian. Your husband will have to wait 3 years, but your son will not.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

By any chance, was your son born before April 17, 2009? If so, he might already be a Canadian citizen depending on the exact nature of your citizenship documents. Do you have a Canadian citizenship certificate and if so, what does it say?

The first line of immigration/customs control is managed by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). You will speak to a CBSA officer who, all going well, will admit you to Canada and refer your husband and son to "secondary" for their landing process. Secondary screening is managed by a Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) officer who will admit your husband and son as immigrants to Canada. They will get a Confirmation of Permanent Residence form - make sure the details are correct and don't lose it.

One further tip - as soon as your son has been admitted to Canada, you can immediately apply for him to be granted Canadian citizenship, if he's not already Canadian. Your husband will have to wait 3 years, but your son will not.
Actually to be pedantic since 2003 CBSA has taken over the Immigration Secondary functions at POE"s. Most legacy CIC officers and CBSA officers still perform their daily functions but we are all one Agency as our bosses like to tell us. TBH a lot of CIC legacy officers have remained with CIC and thus has led to less than ideal procedures at POE's.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

kmcmull1985 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ

JAJ,

Thanks for your response and useful information, I wasn't aware this was the case regarding my son/citizenship-great news that he will not have to wait 3 years to apply for citizenship Thanks for the tip

My son was born March 2011, and not before April 17, 2009.

I'm glancing at my CCC now. It is stored in a yellow plastic wallet and on the top left of the large piece of paper it states 'Commemoration of Canadian Citizenship' underneath is my name/maiden name, address etc. To the right is my citizenship number in red. Beside the date it says N/A.

There are 2 separate statements below this information on the paper part taht read:

"Under the provisions of the Citizenship Act, a Canadian Citizen is entitled to all the rights and privaleges and is subject to all the duties and responsibilities of being a Canadian Citizen"
and
"The person named herein, having taken the oath of citizenship of allegiance where applicable became a Canadian citizen on the date indicated below. See reverse side for use of this document"

The front of my citizenship certificate/card itself has my baby pic on left and details on right hand side.

Does this sound familiar in any way?
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

I assume your parents were not working for the Canadian government at the time of your birth.

If that was not true, then your new (congratulations!) child is not presently a citizen. But as JAJ points out it is straight forward to apply as soon as you get to Canada.

And in any case, as a baby PR holder, your child has all access to everything needed in Canada except the ability to vote.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 1:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

JAJ,

Thanks for your response and useful information, I wasn't aware this was the case regarding my son/citizenship-great news that he will not have to wait 3 years to apply for citizenship Thanks for the tip
A lot of Canadian by descent parents don't know about that one (for their children). And your son will become a Canadian citizen otherwise than by descent, upon grant of Canadian citizenship.

My son was born March 2011, and not before April 17, 2009.

I'm glancing at my CCC now. It is stored in a yellow plastic wallet and on the top left of the large piece of paper it states 'Commemoration of Canadian Citizenship' underneath is my name/maiden name, address etc. To the right is my citizenship number in red. Beside the date it says N/A.

There are 2 separate statements below this information on the paper part taht read:

"Under the provisions of the Citizenship Act, a Canadian Citizen is entitled to all the rights and privaleges and is subject to all the duties and responsibilities of being a Canadian Citizen"
and
"The person named herein, having taken the oath of citizenship of allegiance where applicable became a Canadian citizen on the date indicated below. See reverse side for use of this document"
You might have been a naturalised Canadian citizen (ie, otherwise than by descent) under the pre-2009 law. Some people were naturalised on the basis of having a Canadian mother. And then on April 17, 2009, you may have been changed into a citizen by descent under the law.

As your son was born in 2011 you don't have to look into it any further - he's likely not Canadian (I'm assuming neither you nor your parents were in Canadian public service) and you get him PR and then Canadian citizenship after that. If he had been born before April 17, 2009, then it would have been worth a closer look to see if he was Canadian already. He might have been.