do i need a canadian passport??

Old Dec 19th 2011, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

kmcmull1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do i need a canadian passport??

Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen who was born and has always lived in northern ireland (as my mother was born in Canada and got canadian citizenship for me as a baby).

My husband and baby are hoping to leave northern ireland and head to Canada in 2012 to live, so I have sponsored both of them and we got an email this week that the embassy are looking to issue my husband and son with permanent resident visas.

On reading this recent email it stated: "These instructions do not apply to accompanying family members who are entitled to Canadian citizenship, because they will have to travel on their Canadian passports."

my question is: DO I NEED A CANADIAN PASSPORT TO ENTER CANADA? or will I be able to travel on my Irish passport? I'm a little confused and would appreciate any advice.

Thank you
Old Dec 19th 2011, 10:33 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do i need a canadian passport??

Get a Canadian passport.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help.
Do you know if it's still possible to apply for a Canadian passport with only a citizenship document I was issued at birth? ...I ask this as I read recently that if this citizenship card and document were issued after 1977 this is not valid. What options are available for me to apply for a Canadian passport if this is no longer valid??
Old Dec 21st 2011, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Try this link
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/section4.aspx?lang=eng
Old Dec 21st 2011, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Thank-you for link...very useful-I've now got the answers I needed
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Technically speaking, Canadian citizens do NOT need to enter Canada on a Canadian passport. If travelling by land over the US border, they don't even need any passport at all as long as they can satisfy the immigration officer that they are Canadians.

You will need a passport of some kind to travel by air but again, as far as Canada is concerned, Canadian citizens don't have to use Canadian passports to gain entry to Canada. I am a Canadian citizen who lives in the US and I travel to Canada regularly using my US passport - in fact I was just there this past weekend. Some countries require that their citizens use that country's passport when entering - the US is one which is why I must have a valid US passport if I want to travel outside the US and be able to return.

The one possible fly in the ointment is the airline. Although you would have no problem entering Canada with your Irish passport and proof of Canadian citizenship, the only proof of citizenship the airline is going to recognize is a valid Canadian passport. So if the airline has any doubt about your ability to enter Canada, you might not be allowed to board the plane. On an Irish passport, you shouldn't have a problem - but why risk it? So my advice would be to obtain a Canadian passport.

Unfortunately Canadian passports are only valid for 5 years. Canada is due to introduce ePassports sometime in 2012. The last I heard, a 10 year passport will be an option early in 2013.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Technically speaking, Canadian citizens do NOT need to enter Canada on a Canadian passport. If travelling by land over the US border, they don't even need any passport at all as long as they can satisfy the immigration officer that they are Canadians.

You will need a passport of some kind to travel by air but again, as far as Canada is concerned, Canadian citizens don't have to use Canadian passports to gain entry to Canada. I am a Canadian citizen who lives in the US and I travel to Canada regularly using my US passport - in fact I was just there this past weekend. Some countries require that their citizens use that country's passport when entering - the US is one which is why I must have a valid US passport if I want to travel outside the US and be able to return.

The one possible fly in the ointment is the airline. Although you would have no problem entering Canada with your Irish passport and proof of Canadian citizenship, the only proof of citizenship the airline is going to recognize is a valid Canadian passport. So if the airline has any doubt about your ability to enter Canada, you might not be allowed to board the plane. On an Irish passport, you shouldn't have a problem - but why risk it? So my advice would be to obtain a Canadian passport.

Unfortunately Canadian passports are only valid for 5 years. Canada is due to introduce ePassports sometime in 2012. The last I heard, a 10 year passport will be an option early in 2013.
Legally speaking you are quite correct however emphasis should be placed on the satisfying an officer which brings with it a myriad of scenarios.
What if at that moment in time you cannot satisfy the officer what do you do then. The legislation states that I can only arrest/detain foreign nationals or PRs if I cannot establish identity. So with no proof of Canadian citizenship can I treat that person as a foreign national without evidence of citizenship?
I could go on but in short carry a valid travel document.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Legally speaking you are quite correct however emphasis should be placed on the satisfying an officer which brings with it a myriad of scenarios.
What if at that moment in time you cannot satisfy the officer what do you do then. The legislation states that I can only arrest/detain foreign nationals or PRs if I cannot establish identity. So with no proof of Canadian citizenship can I treat that person as a foreign national without evidence of citizenship?
I could go on but in short carry a valid travel document.
Right but I didn't say not to carry a valid travel document (she has an Irish passport) or proof of Canadian citizenship. Presumably she has proof of Canadian citizenship (e.g. a Canadian citizenship certificate) to have been able to sponsor her husband and child.

I agree that a Canadian passport is the best document to use but she asked if she NEEDS to use it to enter Canada - and the answer to that is 'no'. Again, I would advise her to use a Canadian passport to avoid any possible hassle with the airline (however remote that possibility might be).
Old Dec 27th 2011, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for your discussions, it has been really helpful. Yes, you are correct about me having a canadian citizenship certificate. This was needed so my husband could apply for permanent residency. The problem is, in order for me to obtain a Canadian passport, I must have the form and passport photo signed by a guarantor who lives in Canada etc etc and who MUST know me personally, and we don't know anyone who could possibly sign this. Do you think it would be possible to use my Irish passport accompanied with my canadian citizenship certificate with the intention of getting a canadian passport when we arrive and actually get to know someone who could sign it?

Thanks again for this. Helping us a lot!!!
Old Dec 27th 2011, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

The entering Canada part is easy with a Certificate of Canadian citizenship. I have done it repeatedly by land and arriving by air from Europe. You are guaranteed entry once you prove (through the CCC) that you are a Canadian citizen.

Last time I entered the Immigration Officer wanted to see my passport after I had shown him my CCC. I was curious, so I asked why. He said that I could get in with just the CCC, but it is easier for him to be able to scan a passport so he didn't have to type the details in. Fair enough, and thanks for him explaining!

If you have a non-visa-requiring passport (such as Irish or British or American), and your CCC, then I can not imagine you will have a problem.

Sometimes the outsourced firms that check your documentation before you board your flight will ask how long you will be staying in Canada when you use a non-Canadian passport. You can simply tell them "I am also a Canadian". Sometimes they will ask to see your proof (again the CCC).

Last edited by bewillow; Dec 27th 2011 at 3:30 am.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kmcmull1985
Thanks everyone for your discussions, it has been really helpful. Yes, you are correct about me having a canadian citizenship certificate. This was needed so my husband could apply for permanent residency. The problem is, in order for me to obtain a Canadian passport, I must have the form and passport photo signed by a guarantor who lives in Canada etc etc and who MUST know me personally, and we don't know anyone who could possibly sign this. Do you think it would be possible to use my Irish passport accompanied with my canadian citizenship certificate with the intention of getting a canadian passport when we arrive and actually get to know someone who could sign it?

Thanks again for this. Helping us a lot!!!
This link might answer further questions
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/support/faq.aspx?lang=eng
If applying in Canada most major centres have a Passport office you can visit to get help. The locations are also in the link.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bewillow
The entering Canada part is easy with a Certificate of Canadian citizenship. I have done it repeatedly by land and arriving by air from Europe. You are guaranteed entry once you prove (through the CCC) that you are a Canadian citizen.

Last time I entered the Immigration Officer wanted to see my passport after I had shown him my CCC. I was curious, so I asked why. He said that I could get in with just the CCC, but it is easier for him to be able to scan a passport so he didn't have to type the details in. Fair enough, and thanks for him explaining!

If you have a non-visa-requiring passport (such as Irish or British or American), and your CCC, then I can not imagine you will have a problem.

Sometimes the outsourced firms that check your documentation before you board your flight will ask how long you will be staying in Canada when you use a non-Canadian passport. You can simply tell them "I am also a Canadian". Sometimes they will ask to see your proof (again the CCC).
Thanks once again for your valid thoughts...

I've been pondering some more...my CCC has not been updated from I was a baby, as my mother got this in 1986 when I was a baby, therefore my last name will have changed as I have since married. This did no pose a problem when acting as sponsor for my husband and son. Will this affect anything if asked for my CCC?

Another question...on entering Canada with my husband and baby boy (who are awaiting the final documentation for their visas), what way will this process work? Will we all enter as a family? Will we be called into a room or what generally happens?
Old Dec 27th 2011, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

You should be sure to carry your marriage certificate and maybe your birth with you when you enter Canada. You should long term either get a new CCC or get a passport.

When you arrive in Canada your non-Can family will need to do a quick process called (for some historic reason) "landing". You will be sent to the office where they normally do the immigration secondary screenings. There they will ask such questions as "Has anything changed about your application?" and "where should the PR card be sent?", will stamp things, and then welcome you to Canada. Should be quick and painless.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You will be dealt with as a family and more than likely be referred into the Immigration office for processing. Just ignore the stretch racks, intense bright lights etc etc you will be fine. Its a painless process
Old Dec 27th 2011, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think people landing are always referred to secondary screening.

It always feels difficult because it is at the end of a long flight, but actually they are pretty quick and friendly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.