Do I have to retake IELTS?

Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

tEmPoTapE is on a distinguished road
Default Do I have to retake IELTS?

I recieved my AOR on 28 july 06, then delivered my IELTS to CIC London in October 06, and my IELTS is expired in Oct. 07. (1 year validity for immigration proposals)

Do I have to retake another IELTS exam before CIC officer start assesment?

Thanks.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 5:56 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I have to retake IELTS?

Hi

Originally Posted by tEmPoTapE
I recieved my AOR on 28 july 06, then delivered my IELTS to CIC London in October 06, and my IELTS is expired in Oct. 07. (1 year validity for immigration proposals)

Thanks.
No.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:39 am
Just Joined

izharbabar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tEmPoTapE

Thanks.
IELTS validity is for two years, British Council would not say why it is so, they do make tens of millions of pounds by this rule alone,I suspect they are making up for loss in EUROPE, who are exempt from taking IELTS.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:47 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by izharbabar
IELTS validity is for two years, British Council would not say why it is so, they do make tens of millions of pounds by this rule alone,I suspect they are making up for loss in EUROPE, who are exempt from taking IELTS.
It is irrelevant what is the validity of IELTS. For the purpose of Canadian immigration IELTS result must be not older than 12 months at the time it is received by visa post.

Once younger than 12 months test result is submitted then there is no need for new one later, unless applicant improved English skills and wants to get more points.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It is irrelevant what is the validity of IELTS. For the purpose of Canadian immigration IELTS result must be not older than 12 months at the time it is received by visa post.

Once younger than 12 months test result is submitted then there is no need for new one later, unless applicant improved English skills and wants to get more points.
So just to double-check, my OH sent his IELTS in with his application back in Jan 06 - he won't need to do another one when his case is assessed sometime, maybe next year?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

izharbabar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beebop
So just to double-check, my OH sent his IELTS in with his application back in Jan 06 - he won't need to do another one when his case is assessed sometime, maybe next year?
IELTS and TOEFL are acting as cartel, they are advising every institution all over the world that they must ask every applicant to retake IELTS every two years,there is no scientific evidence for 1 or 2 years validity of the English exam, it is for profit only, devised by accountant not linguist.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:43 pm

Correct.

Providing of course that he submitted original results that were not older than 12 months at that time.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

Correct.

Providing of course that he submitted original results that were not older than 12 months at that time.
Thank you very much!

They were - he had a lovely chat with the IELTS tester about teaching methods as it was more complicated than he expected, even given he is well-qualified and a native speaker of English!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:21 pm

Thank you very much!

They were - he had a lovely chat with the IELTS tester about teaching methods as it was more complicated than he expected, even given he is well-qualified and a native speaker of English!
If he is native English speaker - raised, educated, living and working in English speaking country and English is also his mother's tongue - then there was absolutely no need for IELTS.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

If he is native English speaker - raised, educated, living and working in English speaking country and English is also his mother's tongue - then there was absolutely no need for IELTS.
I thought you might say that but we looked at the benchmark guidelines and the alternative of knowing exactly the number of points in advance and took the decision to have him take the test.

He was miffed he dropped a half-point!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:35 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I thought you might say that but we looked at the benchmark guidelines and the alternative of knowing exactly the number of points in advance and took the decision to have him take the test.

He was miffed he dropped a half-point!
Now wouldn't you have felt silly, if submit the IELTS and only got 14 points, whereas by having English as your mother tongue, you would have got 16 without taking it.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Now wouldn't you have felt silly, if submit the IELTS and only got 14 points, whereas by having English as your mother tongue, you would have got 16 without taking it.
I would argue if that you look at the guidelines that the benchmarks for High are such that a lot of native speakers wouldn't meet them. I mean that a lot of people aren't happy at discussing abstract ideas and presenting to large groups as an example....

I'd rather know for sure what will be assessed. Anyway, given that his job is teaching people for professional exams, we like certainty!

Nowhere on the CIC site (at the time we were deciding this) did it say that you will get 16 points just for being a native speaker/reader of English. If it did, we wouldn't have done the test.

Perhaps this is where a consultant would have advised otherwise but as DIY, we have to look for the best result for us.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Not a particularly helpful comment, unlike your usual posts.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:00 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps this is where a consultant would have advised otherwise but as DIY, we have to look for the best result for us.
Or maybe a search of these forums. It's been discussed quite a few times I think. Never mind.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bazzz
Or maybe a search of these forums. It's been discussed quite a few times I think. Never mind.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../bench-h-s.asp

Eg - what we read....

Don't worry, I've been hanging around here for years so I read and re-read the arguments - in the end, you pays your money and makes your choices!