Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do I add my twins to my forms? Or are they Canucks by birth?

Do I add my twins to my forms? Or are they Canucks by birth?

Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:24 am
Just Joined

Headingforhalifax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I add my twins to my forms? Or are they Canucks by birth?

Dear all.

I had a search through previous threads but couldn't find an answer to my query.

Can someone please advise on the below?

My wife (a Canadian citizen by birth) gave birth to our twins in late Feb.

They were born here in London, UK - and already have EU passports.

We are planning to move to her home city of Halifax, Nova Scotia asap - and, as such, are applying to have her sponsor me as a spouse seeking permanent residence.

We've filled in all the forms, etc - but can't figure out one thing.

What do we do about our kids?

Do I include them on my forms - as my children?

Alternatively, I've heard they are Canadian citizens by birth (due to their mother), and so we don't need to include them on the paper work - although we DO need to register them as Canadian citizens.

All the CIC forms are ambigious - as are their websites, often.

It is of course impossible to get through to anyone at the High Commission here in London. I email, a woman rang me back - and was incredibly rude.

Many, many thanks!

Scott

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 14th 2009 at 12:30 am. Reason: email address and tel no. removed - trust me, you don't want them on a public forum!
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I add my twins to my forms? Or are they Canucks by birth?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You say you've looked at the CIC website and been unable to find the answer, but did you do their citizen test? That should tell you the answer. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ules/index.asp

I would assume they are citizens, and if so, all you need to do is apply for their passports.

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that.

The link is broken. I will find the correct page via the CIC search engine.

In the mean time, can you please confirm that we have to apply for Proof of Citizen for them? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

I assume this can be done independently of my wife's sponsorship of my permanent residency?

Thanks and regards, Scott
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:27 am
Just Joined

Okay, have searched CIC website and can't find citizenship test - only formal test, which obviously my nine-month-old twins won't sit.

I think it's safe to assume they are citizens by birth, as their mother is.

One final question: Do we need to apply for the Citizen Certificate now - or can it be done independently (after) my permanent residency application?

Many thanks, Scott
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Headingforhalifax
Okay, have searched CIC website and can't find citizenship test - only formal test, which obviously my nine-month-old twins won't sit.
Here you go..............http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ules/index.asp

Sorry the first link I gave didn't work for some reason.

No idea about your other question, but I'm sure one of our regular experts will be able to help you out with that later.

Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I would assume that it is the same as for UK. If so then and mother is Canadian, then you would need to supply either mums canadian passport, or birth certificate and Marriage certificate and your childrens long birth certificate which will also show you as father.

You will probably get the application forms from a canadian embassy or passport office
I did a quick google search and found this....may be useful

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng

Good luck
Stef

Originally Posted by Headingforhalifax

I think it's safe to assume they are citizens by birth, as their mother is.

One final question: Do we need to apply for the Citizen Certificate now - or can it be done independently (after) my permanent residency application?

Many thanks, Scott
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:54 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
I would assume that it is the same as for UK. If so then and mother is Canadian, then you would need to supply either mums canadian passport, or birth certificate and Marriage certificate and your childrens long birth certificate which will also show you as father.

You will probably get the application forms from a canadian embassy or passport office
I did a quick google search and found this....may be useful

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng

Good luck
Stef
1. I will jump in here.
2. Your spouse has to apply for proof of citizenship for the children: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp The processing time is going to take 10-14 months.
3. So once you have applied for proof of citizenship then you can apply for limited validity passports for the children. The information is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2009/ob154.asp
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PMM
2. Your spouse has to apply for proof of citizenship for the children: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp The processing time is going to take 10-14 months.
3. So once you have applied for proof of citizenship then you can apply for limited validity passports for the children. The information is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2009/ob154.asp
Actually you should apply simultaneously for BOTH the Certificate of Candian Citizenship AND for their travel passport.

You will get the passport in a few weeks.

The Certificate of Canadian Citizenship will take roughly 12-18 months to process (god only knows why). We applied in April and just received the "we confirm that you have applied and will likely let you know the results 6 months from now" letter. Try to use a reliable mailing address which you know will be valid in late 2010 or early 2011, maybe of relatives in Canada...

If your wife was BORN in Canada, then they are almost definitely Canadian citizens. And since the twins were born before April 17, they are likely Canadian even if you wife was not born in Canada.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by bewillow
Actually you should apply simultaneously for BOTH the Certificate of Candian Citizenship AND for their travel passport.

You will get the passport in a few weeks.
I'm intrigued, how can you get a Canadian passport without a Canadian birth certificate or Cert of Canadian Citizenship?

I'm curious as to how somebody would get a passport without proof of Canadian citizenship, is that not essential??
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Presently it takes 12-18 months to get the Certificate of Canadian citizenship.

If you have a small baby in a weird and wonderful land like the UK, you may want to be able to travel with it and take it back to Canada to show the grandparents etc.... Grounding applicants for a year and a half to wait for their new baby passport would not be a practical solution.

So they allow you to apply for a two year temporary (emergency?) passport while the CCC is being processed. When you renew, you will have the normal CCC and so can get a normal longer validity passport.

Same principle applies to people who have lost their passport while visiting the UK. They do not usually have to produce their CCC to get a emergency passport to get back to Canada.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
When filling out the forms there will be sections for both parents details and passport details for them. The babies will get their citizenship through their mother by descent and they should only need to send babies full birth Certs and their parents proof of citizenship....passport or Birth certificate.

That is how it works here in UK. Canada will have similar provisions.
Hope this helps
Stef

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm intrigued, how can you get a Canadian passport without a Canadian birth certificate or Cert of Canadian Citizenship?

I'm curious as to how somebody would get a passport without proof of Canadian citizenship, is that not essential??
Old Dec 15th 2009, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

For canadian citizen children, the PR application ask for a photocopy of their CCC or their Candian passport. I suspect you would get pushback from CIC if you just sent their UK birthcertificate.

The children will need one or both of these when they get to Canada in any case. They will need it to register for provincial health insurance at the very least!
Old Dec 15th 2009, 5:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by bewillow
Presently it takes 12-18 months to get the Certificate of Canadian citizenship.

If you have a small baby in a weird and wonderful land like the UK, you may want to be able to travel with it and take it back to Canada to show the grandparents etc.... Grounding applicants for a year and a half to wait for their new baby passport would not be a practical solution.

So they allow you to apply for a two year temporary (emergency?) passport while the CCC is being processed. When you renew, you will have the normal CCC and so can get a normal longer validity passport.

Same principle applies to people who have lost their passport while visiting the UK. They do not usually have to produce their CCC to get a emergency passport to get back to Canada.
Very interesting, thanks for that.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Surely it must be more simple than that.
My boys are half French so we just registered them at the French embassy and automatically got French birth certificates which would enable them to apply for French passports as and when they wanted them.
They travel on UK passports but could have both if they wanted...
Old Dec 15th 2009, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Surely it must be more simple than that.
No. And it is getting progressively worse over time. My first child's CCC card was issued in 2007 in 4 months. My second child's looks on track for ??? 14 months?