Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

DO BRITISH CITIZEN REALLY NEED PR TO STAY IN CANADA

DO BRITISH CITIZEN REALLY NEED PR TO STAY IN CANADA

Old Oct 7th 2011, 5:53 am
Heading to toronto or cal

joycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to all
Default DO BRITISH CITIZEN REALLY NEED PR TO STAY IN CANADA

I am just wondering if British Citizen really needs PR, Work-permit(WP) or study permit (SP) to live, study and work in Canada? The reason I am asking is because, recently a British family moved from the UK to Canada without a PR, WP or SP, rented a house and are in the process of securing school admissions for their children. The couple in question have four kids (14, 11, 7 & 5). While they were in UK, I tried to explain to them that they might need study permits for their kids and even themselves to study in Canada but they told me it is not true and before I knew it they were already in Canada just with their British Passport, no other visas. I know for sure that they could come to visit Canada without a visa but not sure if they can study or work without one. They claimed that as British Citizen, it is possible to school in Canada without visas and even if they are required to get a visa, they will get it from within Canada. Is this acceptable. The whole thing baffles me, because if the process has changed, then I don't see why so many Brits are applying for PR. Your view will be welcome.

thanks
Joycejimi.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all
Default Re: DO BRITISH CITIZEN REALLY NEED PR TO STAY IN CANADA

Without the correct visa, I'm sure they will be deported pretty quick, I think you can stay 6 months, but you can't work or put the kids in school...
Old Oct 7th 2011, 6:11 am

joycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by clay
Without the correct visa, I'm sure they will be deported pretty quick, I think you can stay 6 months, but you can't work or put the kids in school...
That is what I thought and I tried as much as possible to advice them against their action but they all wouldn't listen. They have rented a place now and I think by the coming week they will start looking for schools for the kids. Just thought maybe the schools in BC don't check for visas as they are pretty confident that they can get the kids in school. Actually, I am even surprised that the immigration officer allowed them in because given the ages of the kids, one would thought that an immigration officer would have questioned them at the port of entry about their length of stay as the kids were supposed to be in school back in the UK. I am just watching to see how this plays out.

Last edited by joycejimi; Oct 7th 2011 at 6:15 am.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 9:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably you're sure they're not dual citizens? If they're just UKC's, then they'll have been admitted on a visitor visa. Kids can attend school but neither of them can work and they'll have only been given entry for a max of 6 months. Plus of course they're not eligible for healthcare, so I hope they've got good travel insurance.

Send them in the direction of this forum and we'll set them straight!
Old Oct 7th 2011, 11:42 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joycejimi
....I am just watching to see how this plays out.
Me too.. but I predict it will all end in tears

If it were that easy, everyone from the UK would simply jump on a plane and head on over. But, like many others, we are having to go down the tortuous (but legal) immigration route that many others have before us. If for nothing else other than to prevent deportation at the 6 month point!

christmasoompa makes a good point. There may be hidden information/facts that you are not aware of such as 'dual nationality' (for example).
Old Oct 7th 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

If the parents are intending to study, then could they not enter on visitor permits, secure college / university places and then apply from within to change status from visitors to students - or must study permits be processed outland? On the back of the study permit, the spouse would get an open work permit and the kids would be entitled to study permits (all at a cost of course).

Kids couldn't attend school though until study permits are authorised.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Presumably you're sure they're not dual citizens? If they're just UKC's, then they'll have been admitted on a visitor visa. Kids can attend school but neither of them can work and they'll have only been given entry for a max of 6 months. Plus of course they're not eligible for healthcare, so I hope they've got good travel insurance.

Send them in the direction of this forum and we'll set them straight!
I am 100% sure that they are not dual citizen. Their mom intend staying at home while the kids go to school but their father is hoping to go back to the uk. Based on what you are saying, it means the kids can go to school during the six months and beyond. The reason I am asking this is that, if the kids are accepted, then their plan might as well work. They are thinking that they can keep extending their stay. If the whole thing works, then I might possibly go and bring my cousins to come and school in Canada.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by wolstie
If the parents are intending to study, then could they not enter on visitor permits, secure college / university places and then apply from within to change status from visitors to students - or must study permits be processed outland? On the back of the study permit, the spouse would get an open work permit and the kids would be entitled to study permits (all at a cost of course).

Can the kids get a study permit within Canada?
Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:59 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

QUOTE=wolstie;9662868]If the parents are intending to study, then could they not enter on visitor permits, secure college / university places and then apply from within to change status from visitors to students - or must study permits be processed outland? On the back of the study permit, the spouse would get an open work permit and the kids would be entitled to study permits (all at a cost of course).

Kids couldn't attend school though until study permits are authorised.[/QUOTE]

Study permits must be issued abroad, except for residents of the US and St. Pierre et Miquelon, who can apply at a Port of Entry.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

QUOTE=wolstie;9662868]If the parents are intending to study, then could they not enter on visitor permits, secure college / university places and then apply from within to change status from visitors to students - or must study permits be processed outland? On the back of the study permit, the spouse would get an open work permit and the kids would be entitled to study permits (all at a cost of course).

Study permits must be issued abroad, except for residents of the US and St. Pierre et Miquelon, who can apply at a Port of Entry.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I told them but they are bent on bending the rules. maybe they have a magical way of doing this.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 5:10 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious JJ. Why are they so determined to do this?
Old Oct 7th 2011, 5:13 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what I found from my local school district in BC:

Contact the school that serves the attendance area in which you reside and make an appointment to register. Students must reside with their parents, legal guardian or custodial guardian.

Parents or guardians must accompany their child to the registration appointment and bring the following documentation:

1. Proof of residence (address). Bring two of the following forms:
a. A completed Agreement of Purchase; or Residential Tenancy Agreement or
b. A property tax notice to the family at the address cited; or
c. A hydro/utility bill to the family at the address cited; or
d. A valid B.C. Driver's License indicating the address cited; or
e. Documentation from government agencies
2. Proof of guardianship, if applicable
3. Proof of age
4. Proof of citizenship:
a. Canadian Birth Certificate; or
b. Citizenship card accompanied by picture identification; or
c. Legal immigration documentation

5. Immunization records
6. A completed Burnaby School District Student Information Form
7. A completed Burnaby School District Medical Information Form
8. Copy of the student's most recent school marks (including summer school), such as:
a. An official copy of marks from the student's Permanent Record Card; or
b. The student's most recent report card; or
c. A transcript of academic record; or
d. A transfer form with marks
9. An emergency telephone contact number of a local person who is available during school hours
10. The name and telephone number of the family doctor or medical clinic
Home | Contact Us | Site Map

Maybe it depends on the school district?
Old Oct 7th 2011, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I'm curious JJ. Why are they so determined to do this?
Since they came, they have complained how bad things have become in the uk, but i don't think that is enough to bend the rules for them. is it?
Old Oct 7th 2011, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Here's what I found from my local school district in BC:

Contact the school that serves the attendance area in which you reside and make an appointment to register. Students must reside with their parents, legal guardian or custodial guardian.

Parents or guardians must accompany their child to the registration appointment and bring the following documentation:

1. Proof of residence (address). Bring two of the following forms:
a. A completed Agreement of Purchase; or Residential Tenancy Agreement or
b. A property tax notice to the family at the address cited; or
c. A hydro/utility bill to the family at the address cited; or
d. A valid B.C. Driver's License indicating the address cited; or
e. Documentation from government agencies
2. Proof of guardianship, if applicable
3. Proof of age
4. Proof of citizenship:
a. Canadian Birth Certificate; or
b. Citizenship card accompanied by picture identification; or
c. Legal immigration documentation

5. Immunization records
6. A completed Burnaby School District Student Information Form
7. A completed Burnaby School District Medical Information Form
8. Copy of the student's most recent school marks (including summer school), such as:
a. An official copy of marks from the student's Permanent Record Card; or
b. The student's most recent report card; or
c. A transcript of academic record; or
d. A transfer form with marks
9. An emergency telephone contact number of a local person who is available during school hours
10. The name and telephone number of the family doctor or medical clinic
Home | Contact Us | Site Map

Maybe it depends on the school district?
They are now renting in Surrey, may be Surrey school district will change the rules. I am just lost for words how people like to disregard authority. I will keep you all posted.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 6:23 pm

Upon registration at the school, the following documents must be provided :

Proof of Birth Date for the student (Birth certificate or passport);
Proof of guardianship (parents’ or guardians’ as shown on birth certificate or other appropriate legal documentation such as landed immigrant paper or guardianship order);
Proof of citizenship for both the parent and the student (Canadian birth certificate, citizenship card, passport, landed immigrant document, permanent resident card);
Proof of Residency (a purchase or rental agreement, cable, hydro or gas bill etc.).

from surrey school board.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.