DIY quick questions (please help)

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

blondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really nice
Default DIY quick questions (please help)

Hiya all

My husband and I are hoping to move to Penticton BC. He has a job offer there so we are just in the initial phases of researching what documentation we will need.

Initially we were thinking of using a Migration agency but after reading the different posts on here and looking at the actual forms, we came to the conclusion that we could HOPEFULLY do it ourselves.

Right my first questions is.. If you don't use a migration agency who can you talk to if you have a question? I know you can probably find most things out on here but is there an official number you can call?

and also, all the migration agencies try to get you to do these 'initial assessment' which is code for give me £160 so that i can tell you what you can probably find out yourself i expect. They say they send your info away to Canada and get more or less an initial decision on how likely it would be that you can be granted PR. So can you do this yourself? Or wouldnt you bother? Does anyone have any details of this?

Thanks Becky xx
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: DIY quick questions (please help)

Originally Posted by blondebecky
Hiya all

My husband and I are hoping to move to Penticton BC. He has a job offer there so we are just in the initial phases of researching what documentation we will need.

Initially we were thinking of using a Migration agency but after reading the different posts on here and looking at the actual forms, we came to the conclusion that we could HOPEFULLY do it ourselves.

Right my first questions is.. If you don't use a migration agency who can you talk to if you have a question? I know you can probably find most things out on here but is there an official number you can call?

and also, all the migration agencies try to get you to do these 'initial assessment' which is code for give me £160 so that i can tell you what you can probably find out yourself i expect. They say they send your info away to Canada and get more or less an initial decision on how likely it would be that you can be granted PR. So can you do this yourself? Or wouldnt you bother? Does anyone have any details of this?

Thanks Becky xx
Putting the agency asside for a moment;

If he has a job offer, presumably he had a positive LMO, in which case he can apply for a TWP at POE

Once you have the TWP, you can apply for PR from within Canada in the usual manner assuming you qualify - points & occupation etc.

There is an online eligibility tool you can use for free

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tool/index.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...sess/index.asp

What is your current situation with the job offer?

PS; ask away on here, you usually get a great response :-)
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Hiya all

Thanks Becky xx
Prior to our application we had 2 confirmations from immigration lawyers that we were eligible, basically my wife as PA sent them her CV and other details, and it did not cost us a penny. So you may wish to find ones that will do a free initial assessment.

Really they will probably only tell you what you can find out yourself. Immigration lawyers will not speed any process up, in fact the delays between them receiving correspondence from CIC/VO and communicating that to you will only add further delay.

If your case has particular complications then perhaps it may be worth employing an immigration lawyer, but for straight forward cases pretty much all necessary information can be found out from forums such as these, and ofc from www.cic.gc.ca.

Wayne.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

Willis Brazalot passed us at an immigration fair, and we went on to fail, costing us $1400
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya all

Thanks Becky xx
You can do a self assesment on the CIC website, its much the same, just dont be overoptimistic on the points if you are not sure. I very much doubt anyone sends anything over to canada for assesment, even if they say they do!

I dont think the 800 number is much use for asking questions about paperwork requirements etc, but thats basically what this forum is for...

Good luck
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Aye, immigration lawyers still charge fees even IF they don't get you the residents' visa. Which is my main reason for refusing to deal with them.

Why should you pay them money for their failure? If they are good at what they do, they should be thorough and able to accurately tell you that you are eligible. If they can't do it accurately enough and you fail, I do not see why they should get paid for not being good enough at their jobs.

Sorry to sound harsh, just telling it how it is!

If they had a no-visa, no-fee policy then it may be worth signing up, otherwise I wouldn't touch them.

Wayne.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hiya all

Thanks Becky xx
Another point that is working FOR you is that since he has a job offer he will be applying under FSW Category 2, not Category 1. This means the NOC caps of 1000 per NOC and 20000 total will not apply to him.

So from that point of view, there is no race. No rush.

Research things thoroughly and only invest your money in the IELTS tests and the notarization and payment fee etc once you have convinced yourselves that you are fully eligible and can get all the required documents.

Those of us applying under Category 1 have had to get things together a bit quicker so we don't find ourselves without a chair when the music stops!

Wayne.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waggle
Aye, immigration lawyers still charge fees even IF they don't get you the residents' visa. Which is my main reason for refusing to deal with them.

Why should you pay them money for their failure? If they are good at what they do, they should be thorough and able to accurately tell you that you are eligible. If they can't do it accurately enough and you fail, I do not see why they should get paid for not being good enough at their jobs.

Sorry to sound harsh, just telling it how it is!

If they had a no-visa, no-fee policy then it may be worth signing up, otherwise I wouldn't touch them.

Wayne.
On the other hand its hardly their fault if you fail the medical, and they have still put their time and expertise into your case.

Its never as black and white as all that.

If they are running a no visa no fee policy its possible that they only take the stonewall certainties, and those are the folks who could be doing it themselves anyway.

If you value the service someone provides, you should be prepared to pay for it, regardless of the outcome, but they shouldnt be stringing you along either. If you are paying somone then I imagine its worth taking the time to iron out these details and build a trusting relationship with them.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 2nd 2010 at 7:00 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

blondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really niceblondebecky is just really nice

Thanks for the advice guys

Waggle...my husband and I are both teachers so we score quite highly on the education and experiece points however we quickly realised that finding a teaching job at the moment would be very tricky. My husband is also an Ice hockey coach and has been offered a job in Penticton coaching Ice hockey at the academy. When i have looked this would come under cat B???? So does that mean we would be ok?

Do all jobs need a LMO even if you are applying for PR?
My husband has worked for the emplyer before but only on a temp basis, he has now been offered a perm job.

As for the migration officer, thats how i feel too. I find it hard to part with nearly £3000 with no garentees.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

stacey.cook1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice guys

Waggle...my husband and I are both teachers so we score quite highly on the education and experiece points however we quickly realised that finding a teaching job at the moment would be very tricky. My husband is also an Ice hockey coach and has been offered a job in Penticton coaching Ice hockey at the academy. When i have looked this would come under cat B???? So does that mean we would be ok?

Do all jobs need a LMO even if you are applying for PR?
My husband has worked for the emplyer before but only on a temp basis, he has now been offered a perm job.

As for the migration officer, thats how i feel too. I find it hard to part with nearly £3000 with no garentees.
We decided to see an immigration lawyer to find out what we needed to do and the associated costs, 20 mins later and $250 poorer we walked out without learning anything we didn't already know, and they wanted $7k just for their fees!!.

My advice, do it yourself just make sure you put the research in and you'll be fine.

Also yes you will need an LMO and cat B is fine, i agree with spaces would be easier to get your Temporary work permit at POE and then apply for PR once you're here.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 7:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

and also, all the migration agencies try to get you to do these 'initial assessment' which is code for give me £160 so that i can tell you what you can probably find out yourself i expect.
Any decent immigration consultant will do a free visa assessment - don't pay anything!

Originally Posted by Waggle
Not all do - I know of at least one who, if for any reason your PR application is unsuccessful, will reapply for you for free until you get PR (unless it's due to something out of their control i.e. medical being failed or not enough proof of funds) and then refund if it's a failing on his part. I can't imagine he's the only consultant that will do that either.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:59 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Any decent immigration consultant will do a free visa assessment - don't pay anything!

Not all do - I know of at least one who, if for any reason your PR application is unsuccessful, will reapply for you for free until you get PR (unless it's due to something out of their control i.e. medical being failed or not enough proof of funds) and then refund if it's a failing on his part. I can't imagine he's the only consultant that will do that either.
And I imagine he is on pretty safe ground there as he probably knows his business very well and doesn't big up the hopes of people who don't stand a chance! Unscrupulous practitioners (and there seem to be a few) won't back their work because they are just out to fleece people with unrealistic hopes.
Most good practitioners of any sort will back their own work, but if you read much about this you will soon see that most rejections are for things that could have been avoided easily, such as incomplete paperwork or people just not checking they have enough points.
Also, not all rejections mean you lose your money - we took a punt on Cat 1 last year after advice from an advisor from the Canadian High Commission in London at an Emigrate fair who said we might be able to swing it even though we were just outside the ten year experience window. As it happened, they turned us down flat, but it didn't cost us anything to try because we were rejected at the first hurdle i.e. CIO Sydney.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
On the other hand its hardly their fault if you fail the medical, and they have still put their time and expertise into your case.

Its never as black and white as all that.

If they are running a no visa no fee policy its possible that they only take the stonewall certainties, and those are the folks who could be doing it themselves anyway.

If you value the service someone provides, you should be prepared to pay for it, regardless of the outcome, but they shouldnt be stringing you along either. If you are paying somone then I imagine its worth taking the time to iron out these details and build a trusting relationship with them.
Well they could perhaps put certain conditions on it.

Regarding the medical they should at least let you know the types of medical problems that are likely to fail you, if you fail to disclose this to the lawyer or hide things then ofc if is not their fault if you fail. Another thing that would not be their fault is if you hit the 1000 cap for your noc, or 20000 total, before the application went into processing.

But for things like lack of work experience etc, or even proof of funds, I can see no defence, especially now all documents must be provided at initial application stage - the application should not be sent by the lawyers until they are completely satifisfied that you are eligible.

I just think with the ridiculously large fees immigration lawyers charge, it is unthinkable to fail for anything other than 100% outside of their control.

Wayne.

Last edited by Waggle; Sep 3rd 2010 at 7:02 am.