Divorce

Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:58 pm
Calgary Sept 2008

Silverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really nice
Default Divorce

Hi again,

Feel a bit blue today so bare with me

Me and my boyfriend are planning(hopefully) to apply for Bunac visa to be able to go to Canada next year for a year. We hope this will give us an better insight for our plans to emigrate one day. My bfs brother already lives in Calgary where we are heading but thats another story.... My ex husband is in the process of divorcing me, and now this might sound a silly question so please forgive my ignorance, will this cause a problem for a working Visa? I was hoping that the divorce would be nearly done now and i could go about reverting to my maiden name etc, but found out today my ex has not even bothered to send off revelant papers etc to the courts :curse: so its not even nearly done....I'm not fussed about it too much because me and bf are happy the way we are, I was just wondering if being "married" to someone else or even going through a divorce process affects anything in the way of immigration or working Visas??

Also if I changed my surname by deedpoll would this have an effect on paperwork for my application?

Hope I make sense, and thx for reading if you got this far
Old Oct 24th 2007, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Divorce

Originally Posted by Silverbug
Hi again,

Feel a bit blue today so bare with me

Me and my boyfriend are planning(hopefully) to apply for Bunac visa to be able to go to Canada next year for a year. We hope this will give us an better insight for our plans to emigrate one day. My bfs brother already lives in Calgary where we are heading but thats another story.... My ex husband is in the process of divorcing me, and now this might sound a silly question so please forgive my ignorance, will this cause a problem for a working Visa? I was hoping that the divorce would be nearly done now and i could go about reverting to my maiden name etc, but found out today my ex has not even bothered to send off revelant papers etc to the courts :curse: so its not even nearly done....I'm not fussed about it too much because me and bf are happy the way we are, I was just wondering if being "married" to someone else or even going through a divorce process affects anything in the way of immigration or working Visas??

Also if I changed my surname by deedpoll would this have an effect on paperwork for my application?

Hope I make sense, and thx for reading if you got this far

Would think that it depended if you could prove you were legally separated. Try doing a forum search for divorce or separation and you could very well find the answer there.

Good luck

Gaynor
Old Oct 24th 2007, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it would be a problem for BUNAC (good route to go BTW!) because you and your BF will have independant visas, although you can list that you are travelling together.

But make sure you keep all paperwork etc. showing changes in name, for if you apply for PR or if you are wanting an open WP off the back of you bf's if he gets a LMO etc.

Also you might want to start making sure that you have lots of paper proof of your relationship with your bf.

Hopefully your divorce will be through before you start the WP or PR route
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:24 pm
whm
Forum Regular

whm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Would think that it depended if you could prove you were legally separated. Try doing a forum search for divorce or separation and you could very well find the answer there.

Good luck

Gaynor
Just a note on this although I'm not sure it applies in this situation, but by Canadian law (or Ontario at least), the minute you SAY you're separated, you are considered legally separated. You don't have to actually have any paperwork to say anything at all. In fact, my ex and I were considered legally separated even while we were living in the same house just by virtue of the fact that we said so!

whm