Wikiposts

Dilemma

Old Jun 18th 2002, 1:20 pm
Ian

Default Dilemma

Hi. Just wondering if anyone has come across this before? The other day I was within
hours of paying for my confirmed booked ticket from Darwin to Montreal. Lynn and I
were browsing Canadian sites (she's in Canada I'm in Australia.) before she went to
sleep and I went off to get the ticket. We had read on all the immigration sites etc
that Australians didnt need a visa to vist Canada for up to 6 mths. So figured all I
had to do was just jump on the plane.

However we came across a site by pure accident that mentioned that a person with a
prior drink driving record may be inelgible to enter Canada at all.

Well I have one from over 15 years ago. I phoned the Canadian embassy in Sydney but
the department I needed was only open between 9- 12 however the chap there said yes
the drink driving charge could create a problem. While waiting for the next day to
phone again, Lynn rang her embassy in Montreal and was told much the same thing. And
that I would need to speak to the Canadian embassy here myself.

I rang the Sydney embassy next morning and was told that I would have to fax my side
of the charges to them and they would do a police check to verify BAC (.08) and I may
have to wait up to 6 weeks for a visa and approval to be issued. However she also
said (after 30 mins on hold) that on the 28 this month the Canadian immigration laws
were changing and one of the changes was that any record over 10 years would have no
effect on entry requirements.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard about this?

The dilemma is just how heavy are they when you reach your destination? Do they
actually check for records of offences back in Australia?

And finally the big one is: Is it worth just getting on the plane and going, hoping
that I sail through customs? or would I be questioned and possibly turned back?

Old Jun 19th 2002, 12:20 am
The Wizzard

Default Re: Dilemma

Why don't you just wait 8 more days and then you can fly there and if they come
across the record you can show it's 15 years old and then they won't mind.

"Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi. Just wondering if anyone has come across this before? The other day I was
    > within hours of paying for my confirmed booked ticket from Darwin to Montreal. Lynn
    > and I were browsing Canadian sites (she's in Canada I'm in Australia.) before she
    > went to sleep and I went off to get the ticket. We had read on all the immigration
    > sites etc that Australians didnt need a visa to vist Canada for up to 6 mths. So
    > figured all I had to do was just jump on the plane.
    >
    > However we came across a site by pure accident that mentioned that a person with a
    > prior drink driving record may be inelgible to enter Canada at all.
    >
    > Well I have one from over 15 years ago. I phoned the Canadian embassy in Sydney but
    > the department I needed was only open between 9- 12 however the chap there said yes
    > the drink driving charge could create a problem. While waiting for the next day to
    > phone again, Lynn rang her embassy in Montreal and was told much the same thing.
    > And that I would need to speak to the Canadian embassy here myself.
    >
    > I rang the Sydney embassy next morning and was told that I would have to fax my
    > side of the charges to them and they would do a police check to verify BAC (.08)
    > and I may have to wait up to 6 weeks for a visa and approval to be issued. However
    > she also said (after 30 mins on hold) that on the 28 this month the Canadian
    > immigration laws were changing and one of the changes was that any record over 10
    > years would have no effect on entry requirements.
    >
    > Just wondering if anyone else has heard about this?
    >
    > The dilemma is just how heavy are they when you reach your destination? Do they
    > actually check for records of offences back in Australia?
    >
    > And finally the big one is: Is it worth just getting on the plane and going, hoping
    > that I sail through customs? or would I be questioned and possibly turned back?