Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Different degree and Work experience

Different degree and Work experience

Old Jun 17th 2010, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

ea2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Different degree and Work experience

Hi All,

I am reall happy joining you in this informative and great community.

We (I, my wife and my little baby) want to emigrate to Canada through Skilled Worker Class but I am a little confused here.

I am 27 years old and a Medical Doctor but unfortunately due to some problems (leaving my home country, transferring my school,....) I don't have any experience in that feild to be eligible for SW. But from when I was in high school I was interested in Computer and IT. I have about 7 years experience in IT ( worked for some companies, even in IT section of my university and got paid for works I did for them,.....).

I just wanted to ask if I can apply with this situation (different degree and experience).

I am sorry if this is already posted but I couldn't find anything.

We will appreciate any advice and help.

Thank you for your time for reading my post and helping us.

E A
Old Jun 17th 2010, 7:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Different degree and Work experience

It depends, there is one IT related occupations on the list of 38 occupations that are eligible as Skilled Workers, but it is 'IT Manager'. From what you've said, you probably didn't have any management duties in your roles?

Check out the list of 'main duties' in the NOC code for IT Manager (0213) and see if you did at least half of them in your previous job. If so, and if you get at least 67 points plus would pass the medical, have proof of funds, etc, then you could still apply as SW.

If not, then check out other visa options as there are over 50 routes to a Canadian visa, and SW is only one of those.

And welcome to the forum.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Thank you christmasoompa,

The other thing is, When I am calculating my points, should I select my Medical Degree or No degree(for IT work experience)?!

Also, I should say, I have done half of those duties when I was working in one company, so that's fine.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Any degree counts (as long as it's from an accredited university obviously), it doesn't have to be related to the job you're applying under, so you'd get points for a degree.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 4:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Any degree counts (as long as it's from an accredited university obviously), it doesn't have to be related to the job you're applying under, so you'd get points for a degree.
Many thanks. I appreciate your kind replies.