Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

difference between federal skilled worker and BC PNP

difference between federal skilled worker and BC PNP

Old Mar 5th 2017, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of
Default difference between federal skilled worker and BC PNP

Hi all,

I'm looking to move with my partner to BC. I have lived there before on an IEC visa for two years, he's never been.

We both work as restaurant managers and so would be looking to apply through a skilled worker stream.

My question is; what's the difference between the BC PNP and the federal skilled worker categories? What's the advantage of going through the PNP as opposed to just applying as a skilled worker? The come to Canada wizard says that I'm eligible under the express entry scheme.

Thanks in advance

Sam
Old Mar 5th 2017, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: difference between federal skilled worker and BC PNP

The obvious difference is that under the BC PNP you can only live/work in BC.
Under the IRCC skilled worker you can go anywhere except Quebec.

Info on the IRCC Federal Skilled Worker and criteria to be met is found in this link
Determine your eligibility – Federal skilled workers

Info on the BC PNP can be found here
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-to-B-C

The EE portion of the BC PNP requires you must have accepted a job
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...Skilled-Worker

IRCC requires no job offer.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of

Thanks FL. Just to clarify, when it says your skilled work experience must be 'in the same job' does that mean for the same employer or in the same position regardless of employer?
Old Mar 5th 2017, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammilc
Thanks FL. Just to clarify, when it says your skilled work experience must be 'in the same job' does that mean for the same employer or in the same position regardless of employer?
As far as Im aware its the same position and not employer.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

aja424 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Do you have any relevant qualifications in management?
Reason I ask is that my stepdaughter is assistant manager at a Harvesters restaurant. She has worked her way up and been on a number of courses but hasn't been to University or college.
Just wondering if she got to become manager with a couple of years behind her, would emigrating to Canada be an option?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aja424
Hi,
Do you have any relevant qualifications in management?
Reason I ask is that my stepdaughter is assistant manager at a Harvesters restaurant. She has worked her way up and been on a number of courses but hasn't been to University or college.
Just wondering if she got to become manager with a couple of years behind her, would emigrating to Canada be an option?
Being a manager or assistant manager makes no difference in terms of immigration eligibility - both are classed as 'skilled' jobs so the job itself makes no difference.

If she's young enough, then her best bet is to go over on an IEC, and impress the he'll out of her employer so they'll want to keep her and help her apply for PR.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 6th 2017 at 7:37 am.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

aja424 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for he info. Don't feel like I'm abandoning people if they have the option to join us.