Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Difference between applying; skilled worker or PNP as a skilled worker...

Wikiposts

Difference between applying; skilled worker or PNP as a skilled worker...

Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:36 am
dk1
Javla Volvo Forare

dk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Difference between applying; skilled worker or PNP as a skilled worker...

My girlfriend and I are new to the forum having only recently found it. For the last month we’ve been reading and reading and reading; the amount of information is seriously overwhelming and there are a few things I’d like laid out nice and flat. I must admit though, the information on this website is a lot more understanding than others.

The plan is/was for me to apply for permanent residence as a skilled worker with arranged employment. I have over five years experience in a skilled trade of which there is a popular market for. I feel I’ve got two options in which I’m seeking some assistance;

1. I can clearly see that applications in the skilled worker category are taking 5+ years to be processed – does this apply to applicants who have arranged employment? It does say that having arranged employment will speed up your application, but how far off the mark is it from 5 years, really?

Am I correct in saying that, if I do have arranged employment and apply for permanent residence, I do not need to show proof of funds nor does the job have to be approved by HRSDC?

2. If I opted to apply through the Provincial Nominee Program as a skilled worker with arranged employment, whether or not I take up a temporary work permit whilst waiting for a permanent residence visa to be issued, what is the most likely time-scale for the whole process?

Just to confirm, if I apply through the Provincial Nominee Program as a skilled worker with arranged employment, do I need to show proof of funds and does the job have to be approved by HRSDC?

I can understand it is hard to confirm time scales, especially with the growing popularity of immigrating now-a-days, however I am looking some reassuring advice as to what might be the swiftest route to take.

Thanks for the guidance.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 6:59 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Difference between applying; skilled worker or PNP as a skilled worker...

Originally Posted by dk1
1. I can clearly see that applications in the skilled worker category are taking 5+ years to be processed – does this apply to applicants who have arranged employment? It does say that having arranged employment will speed up your application, but how far off the mark is it from 5 years, really?
All depends from visa post. But if you are asking about London then SW PR applications without arranged employment or PNP will take 5+ years before that are looked at.

On the other hand currently SW PR visa applications with PNP or with arranged employment are processed in 3 to 10 months, mainly depending from how well and conclusive application package is. Poorly prepared cases may take longer.

Originally Posted by dk1
Am I correct in saying that, if I do have arranged employment and apply for permanent residence, I do not need to show proof of funds nor does the job have to be approved by HRSDC?
Not exactly. Funds requirements is waived only if points for arranged employment are awarded. One may think that job offer is enough - it is not. Arranged employment means one of the following:

1. For applicants who don't want to work in Canada before becoming PR - a permanent job offer on indeterminate basis with positive Arranged Employment Opinion from HRSDC; or

2. For applicants working in Canada on valid work permit in skilled occupation - copy of valid work permit, proof of working in Canada and offer from employer to convert current temporary employment to a permanent one on indeterminate basis after becoming a PR.

AEO from #1 above are quite often rejected by visa posts after they do their own verification into the job offer.

Originally Posted by dk1
2. If I opted to apply through the Provincial Nominee Program as a skilled worker with arranged employment, whether or not I take up a temporary work permit whilst waiting for a permanent residence visa to be issued, what is the most likely time-scale for the whole process?
PR visa application stage for cases with PNP certificate takes same time as for SW with arranged employment - both are processed with the same priority. But with PNP you must add time needed to obtain PNP certificate and it may take anywhere from couple of months to a year or longer (if particular Province already used up their annual quota).

Originally Posted by dk1
Just to confirm, if I apply through the Provincial Nominee Program as a skilled worker with arranged employment, do I need to show proof of funds and does the job have to be approved by HRSDC?
No proof of funds. But in some Provinces job offer must be approved and/or process entirely initiated by employer (who may also be required to be pre-approved).

Nothing is as simple as it may seem at first or even second glimpse...

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jan 20th 2008 at 7:04 pm.