Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Did I lose my PR status? Help pls......

Did I lose my PR status? Help pls......

Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

rookieq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did I lose my PR status? Help pls......

Hi there,

Hope the experts can HELP me…

Our family had Canadian Permanent Residence status when I was 2 years old back in 1973 but due to family business responsibilities my father decided to move us to the US for 6 years then back to our home country in Asia where we had several businesses. I lived in Vancouver for only 24 months as a minor

Now that I have my own family, I would like to move back to Canada but don’t want to wait 4 years to process. I can reach 79 points on the test with my MBA and Senior Manager work experience with a multination firm.

Now this is what happened to a 33 year old friend of mine and his wife. He was granted PR status in 1995 but returned to his home country in 1996 (due to family reasons). So he pretty much indirectly gave up his PR status. In 2004, he applied for a Tourist visa for Canada since he wanted to visit….the Consul at the Embassy then saw his previous but expired PR status and told him that if he still wanted to be a permanent resident of Canada, he would be allowed to, he just had to re-apply and it would be approved “right away” (no need to wait the 3-4 years).

Here is my question….can I do the same thing? Given I was a permanent resident back in 1973? Can I just set an appointment with the Canadian Embassy or is it better to seek professional help?

Appreciate any help!
Old Feb 6th 2006, 7:50 pm
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all
Default Re: Did I lose my PR status? Help pls......

Sounds as though you have probably lost PR status (I think you have to spend 2 out of 5 years there?).

As for the rest of it, only the embassy can probably answer that one. I'd be surprised if it was allowed myself, but if it worked for your friend then why not ring them and ask?

Last edited by Hipster Contrarian; Feb 6th 2006 at 8:05 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 4:52 am
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rookieq
Hi there,

Our family had Canadian Permanent Residence status when I was 2 years old back in 1973 but due to family business responsibilities my father decided to move us to the US for 6 years then back to our home country in Asia where we had several businesses. I lived in Vancouver for only 24 months as a minor

Now that I have my own family, I would like to move back to Canada but don’t want to wait 4 years to process. I can reach 79 points on the test with my MBA and Senior Manager work experience with a multination firm.

Now this is what happened to a 33 year old friend of mine and his wife. He was granted PR status in 1995 but returned to his home country in 1996 (due to family reasons). So he pretty much indirectly gave up his PR status. In 2004, he applied for a Tourist visa for Canada since he wanted to visit….the Consul at the Embassy then saw his previous but expired PR status and told him that if he still wanted to be a permanent resident of Canada, he would be allowed to, he just had to re-apply and it would be approved “right away” (no need to wait the 3-4 years).

Here is my question….can I do the same thing? Given I was a permanent resident back in 1973? Can I just set an appointment with the Canadian Embassy or is it better to seek professional help?

Appreciate any help!
I dont know what your friends circumstances were, but I highly doubt that your are still a canadian PR.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

You'll find that too much time has elapsed for you still to be a PR. My husband was a Canadian PR in the 80s. Eventually his family returned to the UK and settled. We submitted evidence that he was a PR as a child with our application - they ask if you have applied before on one of the forms you fill in. It made absolutely no difference to us and we had to do the long wait with everyone else.

Hi there,

Appreciate any help!
Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hipster Contrarian

As for the rest of it, only the embassy can probably answer that one. I'd be surprised if it was allowed myself, but if it worked for your friend then why not ring them and ask?
Hi Hipster,

thank you and to the others who also replied to this

yes i tried calling the embassy but i was only able to speak with a receptionist who sounded like she only knew the "standard" answers to FAQs... and she said we had to apply again, she could not comment on the experience my friend had with one of the embassys consuls.....

worse case scenario maybe i should try applying for a tourist visa and see what happens....

any agents out there who had heard of other experiences similar to what happened to my friend?

Thanks!
Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by obiwan
Hi Hipster,

thank you and to the others who also replied to this

yes i tried calling the embassy but i was only able to speak with a receptionist who sounded like she only knew the "standard" answers to FAQs... and she said we had to apply again, she could not comment on the experience my friend had with one of the embassys consuls.....

worse case scenario maybe i should try applying for a tourist visa and see what happens....

any agents out there who had heard of other experiences similar to what happened to my friend?

Thanks!
Sorry about that. I was surfing using my brothers PC (who chose to apply for Oz) and the browser was logged on to his profile...

regards,

Mars
(ROOKIEQ) Original Poster....
Old Feb 8th 2006, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

app0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Appreciate any help!
Why not you send a mail to consulate and find out.
/a