DHL experience

Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of
Default DHL experience

Hi all,

Just a bit of paranoia working overtime! Did anyone send their application to Sydney via DHL?

Owing to the ridiculously small amount of space available to print the DHL label on their packet, we had to omit "Sydney" from the address in order to get CIC, CIO and the NOC code on the envelope. We of course used the full B1P postcode for Sydney on there.

All the tracking info says it was delivered HALIFAX, CA - but they do say that this isn't necessarily the town it was finally delivered in, just the service centre responsible for the delivery.

i.e.
Monday, August 30, 2010
15 Delivered - Signed for by : PAUL HALIFAX, NS - CANADA 13:47
14 With delivery courier HALIFAX, NS - CANADA 07:41

Friday, August 27, 2010 Location Time Pieces
13 Departed Facility in HALIFAX - CANADA HALIFAX, NS - CANADA 16:49
12 Forwarded for delivery HALIFAX, NS - CANADA 10:18
11 Arrived at Delivery Facility in HALIFAX - CANADA 05:45

Hoping that the 30+ business hours it took to arrive at Halifax and be delivered was the journey to Sydney, but all the "HALIFAX, NS" is making me nervous! There also seems to be a George Street in Halifax just to spice things up a bit.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Since we're likely to be a couple of months getting an AOR it's just a question of sitting and waiting I guess.

Wayne.

Last edited by Waggle; Aug 31st 2010 at 7:24 am.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Bruin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DHL experience

Hi Wayne.
If Halifax isn't the route for DHL docs to Oz then its been missrouted. The cool thing is that you have tracking to Canada. The parcel will be given a new consignment number by the Canadians and sent on to OZ. you should be able to contact DHL UK and have this new con number given to you. I worked in the international courier industry for nearly 20 years... this does happen but they're good at putting it right.

try not to worry!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bruin
If Halifax isn't the route for DHL docs to Oz then its been missrouted. The cool thing is that you have tracking to Canada. The parcel will be given a new consignment number by the Canadians and sent on to OZ.
Wrong Sydney!

That was risky not putting Sydney on there, since that is a pretty important part of the address. I sent mine by Purolator and it took about 3 days and that showed the final destination on the tracking (which was actually a different address a couple blocks down the street, apparently thats where couriers are sent), so I'm quite surprised that DHL doesn't do that. It probably got there fine but it sounds like it might be worth giving them a call to see if you can get more information on where it ended up.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:30 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Couriers do not deliver to post offices and do not seem to even notice the post codes. The full street address is required and may be the source of your problem.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Couriers do not deliver to post offices and do not seem to even notice the post codes. The full street address is required and may be the source of your problem.
Eek!! Maybe I should give them a ring then! Really annoying that they give so little room at the service point to enter all the information. The lady taking the order seemed to think that the city wasn't important if you put the postcode down.

Wayne.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

I spoke to a DHL service lady last night, she said they have their own area codes which they derive from the post code, and it seems Halifax and Sydney share the same DHL code. Anyway she is going to email Canada and then call me back later on today with any further info of where it was actually delivered.

However having a nosey on trackitt I found the following thread:
http://www.trackitt.com/canada-discu...-cio-sydney-ns

It seems it is very normal via DHL for the final delivery point to show Halifax even though it is delivered in Sydney.

I would hope that DHL deliver many letters and packages to CIO and should know exactly where the courier address in Sydney is and not just deliver it to a random place on George Street in Halifax!

But lesson learnt, if we ever have to submit another application we will be certain to ensure the town is on the DHL envelope! Hopefully will get confirmation from DHL later on today.

Wayne.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:54 am
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

Ours went with DHL and all arrived OK. (Unlike the Royal Mail, which never got delivered). I'm sure our tracking was the same as yours. You can breathe easier when you see the signature details! I'm sure it'll be OK.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Funky Florist
Ours went with DHL and all arrived OK. (Unlike the Royal Mail, which never got delivered). I'm sure our tracking was the same as yours. You can breathe easier when you see the signature details! I'm sure it'll be OK.
Yeah now 95% certain it is ok, ours was signed for by "PAUL" shame there's no surname else it would be easier to correlate with others who have applied via DHL. Anyway they are going to try to get confirmation from DHL in Canada to double-check, but seems Halifax is the service hub and that's why it shows as the final destination on there.

Of course it's even more important now that it gets there first time, since now you have to include all documents the package represents nearly 2 months worth of document gathering, £150 worth of notarizing documents etc, so would be costly and time consuming to have to get another application together if it went astray, and ofc any delays decrease your chances because of the NOC caps!

Wayne.

Last edited by Waggle; Sep 2nd 2010 at 11:40 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:23 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

The 30 hours taken for delivery is a hopeful sign too.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi - had a message from guy from DHL (he phoned me during the 2 mins I was away from my desk with my mobile charging!).

Anyway he said that he had confirmation from Canada that they delivered it to the correct address on the waybill (CIC), and they told him that although the town was missing the derived this from the postal code.

Owing to a large number of people saying that when they sent to CIC Sydney using DHL the tracking stated Halifax as delivery point, it seems I was panicking over nothing. As you say the 30+ hours it took to get from Halifax to its destination would measure up with the 300 mile journey from Halifax to Sydney.

Still this wasn't the first time I've panicked over nothing during this process and I somehow doubt it will be the last, I'd rather be overly cautious than too complacent!

So just a message for anyone couriering their Sydney app via DHL - if it says "Halifax, NS" as the delivery point then no need to worry Won't know for 100% sure until I get an AOR, email or confirmation from my bank that the draft has been cashed (will check with them in 3 or 4 weeks if I haven't heard anything).

Wayne.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:54 pm
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Waggle
Still this wasn't the first time I've panicked over nothing during this process and I somehow doubt it will be the last, I'd rather be overly cautious than too complacent!
Best you have a nice cup of tea and do some breathing exercises ... you'll have no hair/finger nails left by the time you get your visas!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Funky Florist
Best you have a nice cup of tea and do some breathing exercises ... you'll have no hair/finger nails left by the time you get your visas!
Hehe Well once we've got confirmation they've got the damn application I'll be less stressed!

Wayne.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work as a courier for DHL a long time ago. A friend of mine recently worked as a dispatcher at DHL. We both agree on one thing - never use DHL.