Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

desperatly needed help,lawyer advice!!!!!!!!!!

desperatly needed help,lawyer advice!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

deb1321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default desperatly needed help,lawyer advice!!!!!!!!!!

im so confused i dont know where to start, so il start with the basics!! any help whatsoever would mean so much to me.
basically my brother, sister in law and niece live in victoria bc. my brother has just recieved his pr. niece obvioulsy citizen and sister in law pr awaiting her citizenship.
im desperate to move there with OH and 2 children but we seem to be stuck as to what to do.
I cant go on family sponsership.
PR seems to take forever? even if we could qualify?
basically is there any way we could get a open working visa as not sure we,d qualify for working skilled working visa?
or would a job offer def get either of us a working visa even if its not skilled? (hope this makes sense!)
we were thinking if we could get out there and get jobs we,d stand a better chance of later applying and getting pr?
last thing for now i promise! does anyone know of a uk based immergration lawyer as we think it would be easier to see someone face to face or are canada based ok? please help sorry for the essay!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:30 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: desperatly needed help,lawyer advice!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by deb1321
im so confused i dont know where to start, so il start with the basics!! any help whatsoever would mean so much to me.
basically my brother, sister in law and niece live in victoria bc. my brother has just recieved his pr. niece obvioulsy citizen and sister in law pr awaiting her citizenship.
im desperate to move there with OH and 2 children but we seem to be stuck as to what to do.
basically is there any way we could get a open working visa as not sure we,d qualify for working skilled working visa?
or would a job offer def get either of us a working visa even if its not skilled? (hope this makes sense!)
we were thinking if we could get out there and get jobs we,d stand a better chance of later applying and getting pr?
last thing for now i promise! does anyone know of a uk based immergration lawyer as we think it would be easier to see someone face to face or are canada based ok? please help sorry for the essay!!!!!!!!!
Hi Deb

Not sure about the working visa's but PR can come in less than 12 months - think 6-12 months is the 'target' period.
That is for those who apply now, or since end Feb 08. Those unfortunate to have applied before that take a lot longer, but may have more flexible criteria (depending which route, skilled worker PR cat 1 is limited to 38 listed occupations).
On this thread you will see some more recent timelines, and that Martin has found that timelines will be published shortly for the recent applicants.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...621358&page=44

All the best
Bali

Last edited by Bali2010; Jan 7th 2010 at 8:31 pm. Reason: added link
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Hi Deb

Not sure about the working visa's but PR can come in less than 12 months - think 6-12 months is the 'target' period.
That is for those who apply now, or since end Feb 08. Those unfortunate to have applied before that take a lot longer, but may have more flexible criteria (depending which route, skilled worker PR cat 1 is limited to 38 listed occupations).
On this thread you will see some more recent timelines, and that Martin has found that timelines will be published shortly for the recent applicants.
[url]http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621358&page=44[/url
th
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get a job offer from overseas (next to no chance in the current economic climate unless your skills are in high demand and a shortage situation), you would have to then get the employer to apply for an LMO and if that comes back positive (fewer are at present) you could get a temporary work permit. The employer has to demonstrate they have been unable to find a Canadian or PR to fill the position and that they have made every effort to do so. You would not get an open work permit, it would be tied to a specific employer, so if you lose your job, you have to go through it all again or leave the country. You could apply for PR whilst here on a TWP.

An immigration lawyer or consultant is not going to be able to give you a better chance, other than take your money for something you could do yourself. They also have to be Canadian based for Canadian immigration.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Hi Deb

[url]http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621358&page=44[/url
thank you so much for your help. we didnt realise as been reading so many horror storys of years and years of waiting!! guess they have changed things?! sorry to keep on but do you think its easier to get year work permit than pr? or about the same? many thanks again debbie
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:49 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone know of a uk based immergration lawyer as we think it would be easier to see someone face to face or are canada based ok? please help sorry for the essay!!!!!!!!!
http://www.visa2canada.com/public_html/welcome.php

London and Vancouver offices - I had good dealings with Balvinder Pahl
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Aviator
If you can get a job offer from overseas (next to no chance in the current economic climate unless your skills are in high demand and a shortage situation), you would have to then get the employer to apply for an LMO and if that comes back positive (fewer are at present) you could get a temporary work permit. The employer has to demonstrate they have been unable to find a Canadian or PR to fill the position and that they have made every effort to do so. You would not get an open work permit, it would be tied to a specific employer, so if you lose your job, you have to go through it all again or leave the country. You could apply for PR whilst here on a TWP.

An immigration lawyer or consultant is not going to be able to give you a better chance, other than take your money for something you could do yourself. They also have to be Canadian based for Canadian immigration.
thanks very much for advice about the lawyer that is very helpful. i can get a job offer from a family friend as a hairstylist but not sure where they would stand with lmo, will have to research this some more i guess?
still not sure if we'd qualify for pr under skilled worker on our occupations? my boyfriend is a qualified presion engineer which is on the list but hasnt practiced for the last 4 years? would this still count? last 4 years he has been a tiler? im so sorry for all the questions! im at my wits end!!!!!!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 9:26 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

thanks very much for advice about the lawyer that is very helpful. i can get a job offer from a family friend as a hairstylist but not sure where they would stand with lmo, will have to research this some more i guess?
still not sure if we'd qualify for pr under skilled worker on our occupations? my boyfriend is a qualified presion engineer which is on the list but hasnt practiced for the last 4 years? would this still count? last 4 years he has been a tiler? im so sorry for all the questions! im at my wits end!!!!!!
If he has 1 years experience in the last 10 working in a job on the list that counts.

To be honest your best place to start is the WIKI, on the blue bar at the top of the page. It will answer questions you didn't know you had.

Good luck.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kaye.
If he has 1 years experience in the last 10 working in a job on the list that counts.

To be honest your best place to start is the WIKI, on the blue bar at the top of the page. It will answer questions you didn't know you had.

Good luck.
thank you very much for your help
Old Jan 8th 2010, 1:11 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

With regard to your job offer your employer may well be able to get an LMO; in which case you could apply for both a work permit AND apply for Permanent Residence as a Skilled Worker (you will still need to meet the point score but with an extra 15 points for "arranged employment" you almost certainly will do). There is no guarantee an LMO will be approved because they seem to be getting tighter on them all the time but you have nothing to lose by trying - its just a single form and there isnt even a processing fee.

On piece of advise I will offer is try to avoid going to Canada with ONLY a work permit. You should definitely be making a PR application as well. Once you have PR you can work for any employer but while you are on a work permit you cannot work for anyone other than the employer named on it - which puts you in a much more vulnerable position.

As someone else mentioned if your boyfriend has worked in an occupation on the list of 38 for 1 year in the last 10 he could apply as the principal applicant and, providing you have lived together for at least 12 months and meet the definition of common-law partners, you can be included on his application. But I'm not convinced that he qualifies as a "precision engineer" - there are three types of engineers listed: mining engineers; geological engineers; and petroleum engineers. You need to look at the duties for these occupations on the HRSDC website and see if these match his occupation to be sure.