Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

desperate advice needed on TWP.....please

desperate advice needed on TWP.....please

Old Nov 5th 2008, 9:28 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute
Default desperate advice needed on TWP.....please

hi all

okay....so this is our current situation and i really need some advice, as i can't seem to find 'anywhere', the deffinative answere in our situation!!! checked out cic, chc and be wiki.....

OH got job offer end of aug and signed contracts, going into BC on PNP, got PNP cert, sent off for TWP two weeks ago (not arrived as yet but we wern't expecting it to be 'that' quick to be honest, so all normal and good 'til now) and on that application for TWP is my TWP and the kids study permits.....as soon as that arrives, we are ready to put in our PR application.....BUT, as of last night and a couple of phone calls, OH is going to be sent another PNP cert and letter for entry at the POE and he will be issued a TWP at POE.......all sounds great right?

my question is......if OH goes to POE and is issued his TWP, what happens to mine and the kids application? will i have to apply for my own TWP (mine was coming off the back of his)....and how does this work, as i don't have an LMO and am unlikly to get one in a sensible time frame.....and , i can't fly over and be standing on one side of the immigration line, saying but hubby has got his TWP and is already in canada, on the other side of the line, can i? i won't have any official paperwork, he will....!!!

as i understand it, the principal applicant can apply for TWP and his/her spouse can be granted a TWP and the kids can have study permits! but in our situation, if he goes over now and gets his TWP at POE, then we can not join him later, on the back of his TWP? or can we?

very confussed and desperate to know some answeres/advice/experience....
Old Nov 5th 2008, 10:43 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: desperate advice needed on TWP.....please

is there any way you and family can go over with him just now? me and hubby came over on newfoundland PNP, and arrived with our certificate and both got TWP's at point of entry. sorry, but don't know what happens if he goes over on his own first.

also, wouldn't worry too much about submitting PR application at the moment. we hurried and applied before leaving the uk, and it seems from other people, it can be easier applying from inside Canada, but I am sure other people will be able to give advice on that as well.

sorry i can't be more help, and good luck.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Lee-on-the-Solent, Hampshire, UK...soon a new life in Canada ;o)
amberdayz is on a distinguished road

I've looked into this...if your OH goes first and you follow at a later date, make sure that you have a photo copy of his contract, LMO amd TWP. All should be well then.

Found in the Wiki section:

Spouses and children
Please note that, if you travel to a Canadian POE on your own and apply for a TWP, you cannot apply for an SOWP for your spouse or study permits for your children who will follow you to Canada later.
Your family members will have to request their own work / study permits when they arrive at a POE.
Each family member must bring the following documents to the POE:
passport
two photos
means of paying the fees
copy of your valid work permit
copy of your LMO (not required but nice to have)
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:32 pm

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar
is there any way you and family can go over with him just now? me and hubby came over on newfoundland PNP, and arrived with our certificate and both got TWP's at point of entry. sorry, but don't know what happens if he goes over on his own first.

also, wouldn't worry too much about submitting PR application at the moment. we hurried and applied before leaving the uk, and it seems from other people, it can be easier applying from inside Canada, but I am sure other people will be able to give advice on that as well.

sorry i can't be more help, and good luck.
hi
many thanks for this.....as to us submitting our pr application, we're not going to do this until we've got our TWP anyways and we've already got that paper work ready to submit to buffalo, when we're in canada.....we were told not to submit the PR until we'd got the TWP, as if submitted together, the 'they' will ignore the TWP and just concentrate on the PR.....which will take longer to arrive back at you....
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by amberdayz
I've looked into this...if your OH goes first and you follow at a later date, make sure that you have a photo copy of his contract, LMO amd TWP. All should be well then.

Found in the Wiki section:

Spouses and children
Please note that, if you travel to a Canadian POE on your own and apply for a TWP, you cannot apply for an SOWP for your spouse or study permits for your children who will follow you to Canada later.
Your family members will have to request their own work / study permits when they arrive at a POE.
Each family member must bring the following documents to the POE:
passport
two photos
means of paying the fees
copy of your valid work permit
copy of your LMO (not required but nice to have)
many thanks for this....i couldn't find anything in the wiki that was inline with us, in our current situation,.....looking in the wrong place.....so thanks.

trouble is....we've already got a TWP application in, submitted to london but the 'they' in canada, want hubby quicker so have emailed a letter to him of last night, for him to gain access at the POE on a TWP......

so what this does to me and the kids, i'm still not sure.......i do understand that i'd have to submit my own TWP, as i won't get a SOWP, as i won't be with hubby when he flys over and also i'd have to re-apply for the kids study permits but i've already done those things, paid money etc.....i won't get a TWP as i don't have an LMO, will i?

if we all just sat here and waited for the already submitted TWP, SOWP and study permits, they'd be here in a couple of weeks and none of this would be an issue.....he'd fly over on his TWP, i'd follow in a month or so with the kids.....but this has really thrown a spanner in the works, right?

we can't be the only ones that this has been an issue for, or likely to be the only ones in the future.......i'm frazzeled and fryed and really need help on this one.......no one at the end of the phone in the uk and no one in canada.....arrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!
Old Nov 5th 2008, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

RANDW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
If your OH's TWP is in the right skill levels, you are able to get a SOWP, you don't have to be with him when he arrives, you fill in your own application for a TWP, ensuring it states SOWP on it but you get yours on the strength of your husbands, you don't need another LMO, hence the list of stuff you need to have with you when you arrive in Canada from a post above. But because yours has already been sent to London with fees paid, I think you have 2 options, as soon as your OH has his TWP get it copied and submit to London with your own application for SOWP and study permits to update the application, so you don't loose your fees paid (this might confuse CIC somewhat).
Or if you are willing to loose the fees you have already paid to London apply at POE and withdraw initial application from London.

My OH has been in BC since May this year, and my son and I are following early next year, me on a SQWP and our boy on a student permit. I intend to apply at POE.

R
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by RANDW
Hi,
If your OH's TWP is in the right skill levels, you are able to get a SOWP, you don't have to be with him when he arrives, you fill in your own application for a TWP, ensuring it states SOWP on it but you get yours on the strength of your husbands, you don't need another LMO, hence the list of stuff you need to have with you when you arrive in Canada from a post above. But because yours has already been sent to London with fees paid, I think you have 2 options, as soon as your OH has his TWP get it copied and submit to London with your own application for SOWP and study permits to update the application, so you don't loose your fees paid (this might confuse CIC somewhat).
Or if you are willing to loose the fees you have already paid to London apply at POE and withdraw initial application from London.

My OH has been in BC since May this year, and my son and I are following early next year, me on a SQWP and our boy on a student permit. I intend to apply at POE.

R

thank you sooooop much; it's begining to make sense now....i've been in a tizzi all day, as it's been so straight forward until last night.....x