Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Designer with questions. Need some help.

Designer with questions. Need some help.

Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Savsav is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Designer with questions. Need some help.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice?

I am a 24 yr old Graphic/Web Designer with a number of developer skills. I have a Ba in Design and 4 1/2 years experience in the industry. After scouring this forum, google and every website I can find I'm still a little unclear about the best route to take. I qualify for the skilled worker visa but I wanted to know if there are any other routes better suited to me (the 5-10 year wait suggested is a long time). I read somewhere that designers are on the Occupations under threat list for BC. Could anyone give me a clearer idea of what that means and how it would benefit me?

I understand that a temporary work permit would speed up the PR application and allow me to work in Canada while I wait? Does anyone know if speculative job applications for designers are likely to result in the TWP being issued?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:53 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Designer with questions. Need some help.

You need an acceptable job offer (not just a job application) with positive LMO (or individual LMO exempt) to apply for work permit.

And under current circumstances there is no way to speed up PR process without job offer.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:44 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

As Andrew said, you need a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) in order to apply for a temporary work permit (TWP).

Usually an employer has to advertise a job across Canada for 3 months before HRSDC will issue an LMO.

If an occupation is listed as one that is under pressure in a given province, the length of time for which the employer has to advertise it before applying for an LMO is much shorter.

If you come to Canada on a TWP and your employer then offers you a permanent job (subject to your getting permanent resident status), it gives you extra points for your PR application and usually results in your PR application being fast tracked.

These topics are covered in the Canadian Immigration section of the BE Wiki.

Many members of this forum have obtained TWPs (and later PR visas) by submitting unsolicited job applications. Whether or not you would be able to get a TWP by that method, I don't know. Many employers dislike the paperwork they have to do in order to hire a foreigner. They'll do it only if they're desperate. If the labour shortage in a given field is severe enough, employers do tend to get desperate, cave in, and do the paperwork.

But, be that as it may, your getting into Canada within any kind of reasonable time frame depends on your getting a job offer that comes with an LMO. If you haven't already come across it, you may find it helpful to read the Wiki article called Quick Job Hunting Instructions.

Oh yes, if you're a British citizen, you could get a 12-month working holiday visa through BUNAC. That is an open work permit that allows you to accept any job with any employer in any part of Canada.

It's a tricky thing to pull off, but there are a couple of forum members who have turned working holiday visas into permanent residence visas through BC's Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).

Again, BUNAC and PNP are explained in the Wiki section.
x
x
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Savsav
I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice?

I am a 24 yr old Graphic/Web Designer with a number of developer skills. I have a Ba in Design and 4 1/2 years experience in the industry.
There were a number of jobs along these lines on a 'jobs board' at the Emigrate Show. All were in Prince Edward Island.

Of course Vancouver is the home of EA Games and Rockstar (I think?). My son was recently visiting their websites looking at jobs (he's 12, so thinking ahead a bit). Quite a few on there at varying levels, inc design, programming, developing - right through to finance. Is this your sort of thing?

Rockstar jobs - http://jobs.rockstargames.com/

EA Games jobs - http://jobs.ea.com/pljb/ElectronicAr...cant/index.jsp