Deported from US.....

Old Oct 25th 2012, 1:19 am
Just Joined

Deportee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Deported from US.....

Hi, I was recently deported to the UK from Miami while on my way from Bogota to Toronto in order to take up my visa under the International experience program. It was due to being arrested back in 2000 in Chicago and subsequently not mentioning this on my ESTA application to the States......I didn't mention it on my Canadian application either. Does anyone know if they check US records at Canadian immigration for people entering from the UK? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.....all plans are up in smoke due to a stupid, minor indiscretion 12 years ago
Old Oct 25th 2012, 1:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deported from US.....

Originally Posted by Deportee
Hi, I was recently deported to the UK from Miami while on my way from Bogota to Toronto in order to take up my visa under the International experience program. It was due to being arrested back in 2000 in Chicago and subsequently not mentioning this on my ESTA application to the States......I didn't mention it on my Canadian application either. Does anyone know if they check US records at Canadian immigration for people entering from the UK? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.....all plans are up in smoke due to a stupid, minor indiscretion 12 years ago
Were you just arrested, or convicted? What for?

You are probably 'deemed rehabilitated', so would have been fine to enter Canada, but if you've lied on the forms that's not good. What did your police check say?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Was the stupid minor indiscretion 12 years ago or when you made your applications for ESTA and the IEC programmes.
Proof that lying on any application will come back and bite you. Yes the offence may seem trivial when it occurred but lying on forms is not a smart thing to do.
Seeing what you have written I would have a case for Misrepresentation if you were entering Canada today with an IEC LOI.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 1:38 am
Just Joined

A series of stupid minor indiscretions might be more accurate. I was arrested and released the next day. I was supposed to return for a court appearance a few weeks later, but had since returned home and wasn't going to book a flight just for the court appearance and a slap on the wrist.

I had returned to the States numerous times with no problems. However in April of this year immigration took me aside and quizzed me. I told them the complete story and after much consultation they let me pass. I then traveled to Colombia for a few months before trying to continue onto Toronto via Miami...where I ran into my problems.

I realize I should have been honest on both forms and perhaps now there would be no problem, but seeing as the mistake has been made, I'm wondering will it come to light at Canadian immigration
Old Oct 25th 2012, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

A series of stupid minor indiscretions might be more accurate. I was arrested and released the next day. I was supposed to return for a court appearance a few weeks later, but had since returned home and wasn't going to book a flight just for the court appearance and a slap on the wrist.

I had returned to the States numerous times with no problems. However in April of this year immigration took me aside and quizzed me. I told them the complete story and after much consultation they let me pass. I then traveled to Colombia for a few months before trying to continue onto Toronto via Miami...where I ran into my problems.

I realize I should have been honest on both forms and perhaps now there would be no problem, but seeing as the mistake has been made, I'm wondering will it come to light at Canadian immigration
It will all depend on how much the CBSA officer knows about Immigration.
Knowing what I know from this thread and about the IEC I would have a case of Misrepresentation as you did not disclose the arrest when you applied. Even if not CONVICTED you gained the LOI by misrepresentation and that is sufficient for a 12 month exclusion order or a withdrawal of application.
Chances are you would have been deemed rehabilitated or not even inadmissible if not convicted of the offence had you disclosed it. Also the failing to appear would cause me concern as well. Luckily they didnt issue a warrant for your arrest or they may have but only executable in Illinois state.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 1:57 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Former Lancastrian;10349360]It will all depend on how much the CBSA officer knows about Immigration.
Knowing what I know from this thread and about the IEC I would have a case of Misrepresentation as you did not disclose the arrest when you applied.

I agree and thats what I imagine would happen if they become aware of the arrest and deportation.....but is this certain to happen? Do Canada search US immigration or police records for people entering from the UK?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Deportee;10349367]
Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
It will all depend on how much the CBSA officer knows about Immigration.
Knowing what I know from this thread and about the IEC I would have a case of Misrepresentation as you did not disclose the arrest when you applied.

I agree and thats what I imagine would happen if they become aware of the arrest and deportation.....but is this certain to happen? Do Canada search US immigration or police records for people entering from the UK?
What do you think????

NCIC is a computerized index of criminal justice information (i.e.- criminal record history information, fugitives, stolen properties, missing persons). It is available to Federal, state, and local law enforcement and other criminal justice agencies and is operational 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:17 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Former Lancastrian;10349373]

What do you think????

NCIC is a computerized index of criminal justice information (i.e.- criminal record history information, fugitives, stolen properties, missing persons). It is available to Federal, state, and local law enforcement and other criminal justice agencies and is operational 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
I wouldn't have imagined that every country in the world that has the capability, searches US criminal databases for every entrant to their own country. I would of thought this takes too much time and would only be used where suspicion is aroused or on random cases
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One only has to look at which country Canada shares its border with to figure out if we use NCIC for any foreign national entering Canada.
Whatever happened in Vegas doesnt stay there or any other US city.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:24 am
Just Joined

I entered the States a number of times since including in January of this year, was scanned, and sent on my way without any questions. So it would appear to me that even the US don't search their own systems on every single entrant
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I entered the States a number of times since including in January of this year, was scanned, and sent on my way without any questions. So it would appear to me that even the US don't search their own systems on every single entrant
No they dont but pretty much everyone who is referred into Immigration Secondary are.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
No they dont but pretty much everyone who is referred into Immigration Secondary are.
Whats Immigration Secondary? Is this being asked in for further questioning? Íf so, do they just do it if suspicions are aroused......thanks for all your responses by the way
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have imagined that every country in the world that has the capability, searches US criminal databases for every entrant to their own country. I would of thought this takes too much time and would only be used where suspicion is aroused or on random cases
Worth noting that FL is a CBSA officer, so his info on what checks will be done is coming from first hand knowledge. Who knows, he may even be the immigration officer that decides whether to let you in or not!

Why not just contact CIC and tell the truth? You wouldn't have been inadmissible anyway, so it was a pointless lie. And if you've got any thoughts of staying in Canada longer term, it's a lie that could come back and bite you on the ass for any future visa applications!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 25th 2012 at 2:55 am.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:56 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Who knows, he may even be the immigration officer that decides whether to let you in or not!
Now that would be an interesting thread
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Worth noting that FL is a CBSA officer, so his info on what checks will be done is coming from first hand knowledge. Who knows, he may even be the immigration officer that decides whether to let you in or not!

Why not just contact CIC and tell the truth? You wouldn't have been inadmissible anyway, so it was a pointless lie. And if you've got any thoughts of staying in Canada longer term, it's a lie that could come back and bite you on the ass for any future visa applications!

Yeah, its looking like the best and most sensible route. I should really have sorted it years ago and given that sleeping dog a good kicking....thanks for your help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.