Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Dependent son still valid if on an IEC visa?

Dependent son still valid if on an IEC visa?

Old Jan 24th 2017, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

the blairs will become famous soon enough
Default Dependent son still valid if on an IEC visa?

Hi,

So I am filling in our application for permanent residency. I will submit this by the end of this week and before my 18 year old son turns 19 in February.

He is currently here in Ontario on a study permit which has been stated etc... in the application however, this morning he received an invitation to apply for IEC (UK).

My question is: If i stick with him being a student on the application (which will be submitted by the end of this week) and then he applies for his IEC within the 20 day deadline will he still be classed as a dependent even though he is working?

Obviously once his IEC is approved I will update our PR application.

So layman terms: if on IEC is he still ok to be on the PR application as my dependent?

Thanks
Old Jan 24th 2017, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dependent son still valid if on an IEC visa?

Originally Posted by the blairs
Hi,

So I am filling in our application for permanent residency. I will submit this by the end of this week and before my 18 year old son turns 19 in February.

He is currently here in Ontario on a study permit which has been stated etc... in the application however, this morning he received an invitation to apply for IEC (UK).

My question is: If i stick with him being a student on the application (which will be submitted by the end of this week) and then he applies for his IEC within the 20 day deadline will he still be classed as a dependent even though he is working?

Obviously once his IEC is approved I will update our PR application.

So layman terms: if on IEC is he still ok to be on the PR application as my dependent?

Thanks
Which stream under PR are you applying under?
If he is accepted under the IEC will he still be attending full time studies as a student?

This bulletin explains the changes after applications submitted after 1 August 2014.
Operational Bulletin 588 (modified) – December 13, 2016
Old Jan 25th 2017, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Express entry FSW with an Ontario nomination.

No he will no longer be studying.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Can anyone confirm that it is 100% ok for my son to be on an IEC working while our PR application is in?

we will have applied by tomorrow while he is still 18 and studying in canada (so his age will be locked in) and then once he turns 19 next month and the IEC is confirmed he will be 19 and working. Just want to be sure that this will not affect our application and that he will still be classed as a dependent

thanks
linz xx
Old Jan 26th 2017, 5:06 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

His age is locked in at the time of receipt of the application.

My son was 21 and 11 months and 3 weeks (at a time when it was under 22) when our application was received. He lived in the UK on his own, worked etc. He finally landed at the age of 27 - still classed as my dependant.

From FL's link:

2.1 New definition of “dependent child”
Effective August 1, 2014, the relevant section of paragraph 2 of the IRPR reads as follows:

“dependent child”, in respect of a parent, means a child who

has one of the following relationships with the parent, namely,
is the biological child of the parent, if the child has not been adopted by a person other than the spouse or common-law partner of the parent, or
is the adopted child of the parent; and
is in one of the following situations of dependency, namely,
is less than 19 years of age and is not a spouse or common-law partner, or
is 19 years of age or older and has depended substantially on the financial support of the parent since before the age of 19 and is unable to be financially self-supporting due to a physical or mental condition.
and
Under the new lock-in regulations, the age of a dependent child will be locked in at the first formal stage of the application process under which the principal applicant is applying. Permanent residence application processes can generally be divided into single-step or multiple-step processes depending on the specific program or category.

3.1.1 Applicants selected by a province or territory under the Provincial Nominee Program

Provincial nominees must first apply to the province or territory for nomination. If they are approved, they can apply to IRCC for permanent residence, but must do so before the expiry of the nomination.

New lock-in date: The lock-in date for the age of a child of an applicant under the PNP is the date on which the applicable province or territory authority receives a complete application for provincial nomination from the principal applicant [R25.1 (4)].
It's their age at the time of application, when it's locked in, not what they may do after (with the exception of if they got married or lived in a common-law relationship).

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 26th 2017 at 5:11 am.