Dependants visa

Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

chiefychief is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dependants visa

My girlfriend and I are planning to start the application process to live and work in Canada. We're getting married later this year and wondered what happens if only one of us is granted eligibility to work in Canada, do the same rules apply for spouses being able to work on a dependants visa in Canada as in the UK?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:44 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dependants visa

Originally Posted by chiefychief
My girlfriend and I are planning to start the application process to live and work in Canada. We're getting married later this year and wondered what happens if only one of us is granted eligibility to work in Canada, do the same rules apply for spouses being able to work on a dependants visa in Canada as in the UK?

it totally depends on the NOC rating of your chosen profession. We have live in Calagary for 30 months now and my OH has not been given a visa to work!
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

chiefychief is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thanks. We work in IT and Human Resources and are not expecting to get jobs in our professions immediately and will be happy to accept almost any work so guess it's fingers crossed we are both accepted!
Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:40 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You didn't state if you are asking about (1) going to Canada only temporary with work permits or (2) moving to Canada permanently as Permanent Residents.

(1) Dependent spouse of work permit holder will be eligible for open work permit if the principal work permit holder has it issued for job in skilled occupation (NOC skills level 0, A and B).

(2) Principal applicant and all dependents don't need any work permits once landing in Canada as PR.

Originally Posted by chiefychief

Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:43 am
Living the Life at Last

iambof is on a distinguished road

It depends upon your route.
If you go for full PR (Permanent Residency) through the SW (Skilled Worker) route then both of you will be free to live and work wherever you wish. Takes at least 45 months tho.
If you do the TWP (Temp Work Permit) route then you will both have to apply for a permit, yes. This isn't a visa (as you stated) tho so I'm guessing you're going for PR.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:45 am
Living the Life at Last

iambof is on a distinguished road

Thanks Andrew. You obviously type faster than me.