Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Dependant children, are they or not?

Dependant children, are they or not?

Old Oct 7th 2013, 12:24 am
Just Joined

IainH444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dependant children, are they or not?

I am completing PR card forms for immigration at the moment and its just starting to get a little complicated. I have checked the CIC web site and looked around on this forum but cannot find the answer I am looking for even though many have been in same situation.

My 3 children (ages 14, 17 and 19) are living with their mother (my ex wife) in the uk, they live with her and have no intention to come to Canada at the moment. Should I class these as dependant children or not? I don't want to ask them to have a medical, it only lasts for one year and therefore will not be used. Should I put them on my forms? I don't mind 'declaring' them but its going to be hard to get passport details etc

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Old Oct 7th 2013, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dependant children, are they or not?

Originally Posted by IainH444
I am completing PR card forms for immigration at the moment and its just starting to get a little complicated. I have checked the CIC web site and looked around on this forum but cannot find the answer I am looking for even though many have been in same situation.

My 3 children (ages 14, 17 and 19) are living with their mother (my ex wife) in the uk, they live with her and have no intention to come to Canada at the moment. Should I class these as dependant children or not? I don't want to ask them to have a medical, it only lasts for one year and therefore will not be used. Should I put them on my forms? I don't mind 'declaring' them but its going to be hard to get passport details etc

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
You will have to declare them as dependant children, but you mark them as not accompanying on the form.

My two children were 13 and 15 years old when we moved to Canada. They didn't accompany us, but still had medicals. I felt this was important, as without them having medicals you are unable to sponsor them under family class, should they decide they want to move to Canada in the future.

My children have both subsequently decided to move here.... My son (now 18) got his PR in June this year, and my 20 year old daughter's sponsorship is in process at the moment, and she will be moving over when she graduates from university next year.

The children having medicals now will keep their options open for possible sponsorship as dependent children in the future.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 6:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Little D
The children having medicals now will keep their options open for possible sponsorship as dependent children in the future.
+1. OP, I don't like being morbid but you do need to think about what you'd do if your ex-wife died. Presumably as the children's only remaining parent they'd come and live with you, and they'd only be able to do that if they've had medicals and been declared as non-accompanying.

HTH.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
+1. OP, I don't like being morbid but you do need to think about what you'd do if your ex-wife died. Presumably as the children's only remaining parent they'd come and live with you, and they'd only be able to do that if they've had medicals and been declared as non-accompanying.
There is always the option of Humanitarian & Compassionate sponsorship in these situations, although it's discretionary and only intended for exceptional cases.

Family Class sponsorship - only possible if children have done medicals - is much easier, as long as children are under the age limit at the time.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:16 pm
Best place on earth. BC.

MegRobEarlee is an unknown quantity at this point

same situation - I have looked into this in GREAT DETAIL.
There is no need for the passports - as a parent you can contact the Passport office and request passport numbers, with proof of parental rights (your passport or birth cert)
as for the medicals, well... you dont NEED their mums permission, but as yours are older than my OH it might be tricky to convince them to come. You could always explain it to them - let them know that it will open up the door for them in future??? Now all of this is only relevant if you have contact, if you dont you can always try the signed declaration that your ex wont allow it etc etc.
I do know people that have simply left dependent children off their applications but if something happens in future or they want to come to live in canada this could open up a massive can of worms.

Oh and just because the medicals are only valid for year you have to think of it as the opposite - they get medicals now they can be sponsored in family class as your children at ANY point in the future, provided they were all 22 or younger AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION.
meaning they can be in their 30s and you can still sponsor them.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 9th 2013 at 3:34 pm. Reason: Merged your 2 posts for you :)
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MegRobEarlee
same situation - I have looked into this in GREAT DETAIL.
There is no need for the passports - as a parent you can contact the Passport office and request passport numbers, with proof of parental rights (your passport or birth cert)
as for the medicals, well... you dont NEED their mums permission, but as yours are older than my OH it might be tricky to convince them to come. You could always explain it to them - let them know that it will open up the door for them in future??? Now all of this is only relevant if you have contact, if you dont you can always try the signed declaration that your ex wont allow it etc etc.
I do know people that have simply left dependent children off their applications but if something happens in future or they want to come to live in canada this could open up a massive can of worms.

Oh and just because the medicals are only valid for year you have to think of it as the opposite - they get medicals now they can be sponsored in family class as your children at ANY point in the future, provided they were all 22 or younger AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION.
meaning they can be in their 30s and you can still sponsor them.
With the caveat that they are not living in a common-law relationship nor married - and are not inadmissible for criminal or health reasons.

Is under 22 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner when the application is received by the CPC-V; and
• without taking into account age, the person continues to be unmarried or not involved in a common-law relationship at visa issuance or application.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op02-eng.pdf

It should also be noted that the age for being classed as a dependants is changing in 2014 to 18.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

chrissyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siouxie
With the caveat that they are not living in a common-law relationship nor married - and are not inadmissible for criminal or health reasons.

Is under 22 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner when the application is received by the CPC-V; and
• without taking into account age, the person continues to be unmarried or not involved in a common-law relationship at visa issuance or application.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op02-eng.pdf

It should also be noted that the age for being classed as a dependants is changing in 2014 to 18.
Siouxie, does this mean you can only sponsor your child up until they are 18 as of 2014. I.e If they decided they wanted to move at the age of 25 are they not eligible to be sponsored and would have to make their own way through immigration into Canada? Or is your post just referring to the maximum age they be classed as dependants on the application
Old Nov 26th 2013, 5:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissyb
Siouxie, does this mean you can only sponsor your child up until they are 18 as of 2014. I.e If they decided they wanted to move at the age of 25 are they not eligible to be sponsored and would have to make their own way through immigration into Canada? Or is your post just referring to the maximum age they be classed as dependants on the application
That's exactly what it means, only dependent children can be sponsored, so at the mo up to 22 yrs, but that age will come down in 2014. But a 25 yr old isn't eligible now anyway, unless dependent (disabled etc).

Although age is locked in at time of application, dependency isn't.

I did mention the age change to you in your July thread, might be worth a re-read - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801831

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 26th 2013 at 5:04 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

That's exactly what it means, only dependent children can be sponsored, so at the mo up to 22 yrs, but that age will come down in 2014. But a 25 yr old isn't eligible now anyway, unless dependent (disabled etc).

Although age is locked in at time of application, dependency isn't.

I did mention the age change to you in your July thread, might be worth a re-read - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801831

HTH.
Ok so just to Totally Clarify (incase I have been a little confusing!) If a dependant was to have a medical at the time of application at the age 15 for instance and be accepted but not want to move to Canada until say 25 they cannot be sponsored as they are now over the "dependant' age.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

for some reason I was given the impression they could be sponsored at any age as long as they were listed on the original application and had undertaken a medical.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 5:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by chrissyb
for some reason I was given the impression they could be sponsored at any age as long as they were listed on the original application and had undertaken a medical.
Afraid not. Once they're no longer a dependent child they cannot be sponsored, even if they've done the medical.

HTH.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Afraid not. Once they're no longer a dependent child they cannot be sponsored, even if they've done the medical.

HTH.
Thanks very much for the clarification! Very interesting