Wikiposts

Department of Homeland Security

Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

ibhatti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Department of Homeland Security

In addition to the Residence Questionnaire that I have received, I was asked to provide a letter stating my
current immigration status in the USA. I need that letter from Department of Homeland Security.
Does anyone know Department of Homeland Security contact info i.e. address where to write the request.
Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

fatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Department of Homeland Security

they need a copy of your i94
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Actually, I left the USA 4 years ago and the I-94 was then given to the Customs agent/guard at the Airport. The Canadian government is now asking me for this letter from Homeland Security regarding my current immigration status in USA now that I am applying for a Canadian citizenship.
Originally Posted by fatdoc
they need a copy of your i94
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 4:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ibhatti
In addition to the Residence Questionnaire that I have received, I was asked to provide a letter stating my
current immigration status in the USA. I need that letter from Department of Homeland Security.
Does anyone know Department of Homeland Security contact info i.e. address where to write the request.
Thanks in advance.
Are you saying they are asking for a document from the U.S. authorities without saying precisely what they need and precisely who you should contact to obtain it?
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:03 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

CIC suspects you of living in US and making false claims in your citizenship application. This is why they now want info from USHS to see your status (if any) in US and possibly find out if you lied or not. It may also have something to do with verifying your Canadian PR status or possible loss of it in the past. Do what you are asked to do.

Originally Posted by ibhatti
Actually, I left the USA 4 years ago and the I-94 was then given to the Customs agent/guard at the Airport. The Canadian government is now asking me for this letter from Homeland Security regarding my current immigration status in USA now that I am applying for a Canadian citizenship.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

SinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb Re: Department of Homeland Security

- What exactly did they ask you to do ? Get kinda of status info they need, did they specify ?
- doesn't your passport tell them what US visas you have had ?
- I thought US and Canadians shared immig information, I can never get my self to understand their utter incompetence.
- Do you have other proof to show you were in Canada, like doctor visits, employment, credit card/bank statements, PP stamps, utility bills etc ? Send them with the questionnaire.

Its just another headache that will pass,
cheers
Old Jun 4th 2007, 11:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
CIC suspects you of living in US and making false claims in your citizenship application. This is why they now want info from USHS to see your status (if any) in US and possibly find out if you lied or not. It may also have something to do with verifying your Canadian PR status or possible loss of it in the past. Do what you are asked to do.
But Andrew it's all very vague what he is "asked to do". They haven't told him anything about what specific information they need from the Americans or how specifically to obtain it. Do the Americans even issue such information?

And anyway - you have pointed out many times on this forum that they can look up American database themselves anyway? Why on earth can't they make their own enquiries?
Old Jun 4th 2007, 12:02 pm

Yes, I've stated many times that immigration info is shared, but I also said that such info likely may not be used in court as obtained through let's say "unorthodox ways".

Letter obtained by PR from US DHS and submitted to CIC can be used in court if needed.

As for what exactly CIC asked - we don't know as OP didn't provide exact quote from the letter, only a very vague and short interpretation of the request. Thus let's not speculate about what they asked and didn't ask for.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jun 4th 2007 at 12:05 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

CIC did ask me for all the Canadian proofs like medical visits, letters from employers, children school history, income tax preturns, T4s, T5 etc. etc. bla bla bla, which I can somewhat easily provide. I just got a response from DHS to send a letter to Citizenship and Immigration US giving my date of birth, name, address etc under penalty of perjury and sign it and send it to them for a response.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

SinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb Re: Department of Homeland Security

It will help some folks here to know what form does DHS want you to use to get this information. What is the request called and how long does it take to get a response ?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

I was told to ask for a copy of my alien file by filling Form G-639 from www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms. When I called them at 816-350-5570, they told me it takes 15-18 months to get it, FOIA request. I think it won't ever work as I was asked to provide my current immigration status in the US within 60 days. I think this is just an excuse to deny. But I am in touch with lawyers and if a miracle happens, then only then this request from CIC can be meet.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs down Re: Department of Homeland Security

Thank you. Keep us posted please. This is just lame on CIC's part.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

I am abonding my application for Citizenship. Does anyone know the consequences of doing so and its effect on any future attempt by me to apply for Citizenship?
Old Jun 6th 2007, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Department of Homeland Security

Why are you abandoning ? If you have been honest with CIC and lived in Canada, dont care what they have asked for. Do what is asked of you, get a good lawyer to explain to CIC that you have applied to DHS and it takes 15-18 months to get it and they should wait for it to come rather than insist for it in 60 days.

Between you me and the great wall, what is your status in US ? B1-B2 or you had H1 or what is it ? If you have a regular visit visa like the B-1/B-2 you should explain that in the letter to CIC. Is your spouse American or your employer ? Something trigerred them to think you were in US all along or most part of it ? As long as you DID NOT lie and can come up with valid proof that you were not, it doesnot even matter if you have ties to US as long as you were in Canada and did not lie on application.

Lastly, you abandon now and what if they ask for this again next time you apply ? Of course listen to your lawyer and yourself and not me !!!
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:16 am

Abandoning citizenship application now will not stop already outgoing investigation into your PR status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.