Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Depart canada for a few weeks/months after initial landing

Depart canada for a few weeks/months after initial landing

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Enforcer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Depart canada for a few weeks/months after initial landing

Hi,

I would like to understand if someone was landing in canada for the first time after getting a spousal visa, can they or are they allowed to leave after a week or two? i was thinking of applying for a job in canada in my field from london after getting the PR rather then quitting the one in london completely ...

Thanks
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Depart canada for a few weeks/months after initial landing

Anyone ???
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Once you have landed there is nothing to stop you catching the next flight out again. As long as you spend 2 out of 5 years in canada (or with your Canadian spouse) then you retain your PR status.

Discussion rages about the importance of having the PR card in hand to travel back to Canada later on. The PR card is more important to the airline as clearance to allow you on the plane without worrying they will have to foot the bill if you are refused entry. If you have a British Passport and are on a return flight rather than one way thats unlikely, but some people fuss about it. There are many threads, plus a wiki article on that topic. Air Canada now say they accept british (or other visa waiver country) passport holders on one way flights, other carriers are less specific.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
Once you have landed there is nothing to stop you catching the next flight out again. As long as you spend 2 out of 5 years in canada (or with your Canadian spouse) then you retain your PR status.

Discussion rages about the importance of having the PR card in hand to travel back to Canada later on. The PR card is more important to the airline as clearance to allow you on the plane without worrying they will have to foot the bill if you are refused entry. If you have a British Passport and are on a return flight rather than one way thats unlikely, but some people fuss about it. There are many threads, plus a wiki article on that topic. Air Canada now say they accept british (or other visa waiver country) passport holders on one way flights, other carriers are less specific.
Thx iaink..

I suppose i can get my spouse to mail over the PR card so when i decide to make the one way trip that i don't get too much hassle even though i have a brit passport.......
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Enforcer
Thx iaink..

I suppose i can get my spouse to mail over the PR card so when i decide to make the one way trip that i don't get too much hassle even though i have a brit passport.......
Fed Ex it. Canada Post is OK, but I only trust it so far!