Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Denied entry to USA. Will the Canadian border patrol know this?

Wikiposts

Denied entry to USA. Will the Canadian border patrol know this?

Old Jun 14th 2017, 7:38 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denied entry to USA. Will the Canadian border patrol know this?

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I don't quite think that the police in Canada can just arrest anybody at will,
Of course they can. You don't require a warrant to arrest a person in Canada.
My issue was rather than an arresting officer would explain the 'consequences' are from your arrest.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 7:40 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jake_okeeffe
Hey, i was refused entry to the USA in November last year due to an issue with my ESTA. I didn't declare that I had been arrested before when I was 15 (I'm 24 now) and when the border control agent asked me had I been arrested before, I freaked out and said I had been. Long story short, they refused me entry for lying on the ESTA. I don't have a criminal record from getting arrested all them years ago and i have been told that I'm not banned from the US although I may still be refused entry even if I get a visa.

So my question is this, if I travel to canada, will they know that I was refused entry to the USA? Look forward to hearing from you, jake.
I am not advocating anybody to commit anything here. That's your interpretation.

English is also not my 1st language. To me the question mentioned a couple of different events together with a crime in any country or territory. To answer with yes, any or at least one, of the stated option in that question, together with any criminal offense must have happened. ( Arrest and warning would be a clear "no", arrest and criminal conviction a "yes" ) The usage of the word "for" would be like an "and".

To me, for a crime to happen, one must at least have been in a trial, in front of a judge. Then there will be a charge, a conviction by a judge and sentence.

As far as I know, if one gets arrested, the officer must say for what one is under arrest for and what the consequences are.

The background of what happened, - I don't have exactly. I have also never applied for an aTA. I think that's for non citizens traveling to Canada?
I don't quite think that the police in Canada can just arrest anybody at will, and neither that's the case in the UK.

They must read the arrested person the reason for the arrest, etc....

It's not that Canada is a police state. Not yet, I know Harper tried a lot..... :-)

OP was arrested plain and simple, I totally disagree with your first bolded statement and the whys and wherefores as to the arrest are irrelevent (Your second bolded statement), he was arrested and so has to declare it. The OP has been given sensible and informed advice from some quarters, not so much from others
Old Jun 14th 2017, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Of course they can. You don't require a warrant to arrest a person in Canada.
My issue was rather than an arresting officer would explain the 'consequences' are from your arrest.
That I didn't mean. Of course no warrant is necessary for an arrest, but I guess they must explain you why they are arresting you, don't they? The likes of "You're under arrest for this and that.... "

How long can they hold you without a formal charge? Just wondering?
Old Jun 14th 2017, 7:46 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

That I didn't mean. Of course no warrant is necessary for an arrest, but I guess they must explain you why they are arresting you, don't they? The likes of "You're under arrest for this and that....
Sure.

How long can they hold you without a formal charge? Just wondering?
It depends for what you are arrested. Usual time is 24 hours before you are either charged or DCB'ed.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

I am not advocating anybody to commit anything here. That's your interpretation.
Not at all. You said
The question is "or... or.... or.... for any criminal offense in any country or territory". Thus, I'd say, the answer is no.
The answer is yes. They have been arrested in any country. So they must answer yes. Answering no, ("thus, I'd say, the answer is no") is misrepresenting the fact that they have been arrested.

English is also not my 1st language. To me the question mentioned a couple of different events together with a crime in any country or territory. To answer with yes, any or at least one, of the stated option in that question, together with any criminal offense must have happened. ( Arrest and warning would be a clear "no", arrest and criminal conviction a "yes" ) The usage of the word "for" would be like an "and".
OK, English lesson The question is "Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with or convicted of any criminal offence in any country/territory."

That is several component questions massed together into a single one overall. If the answer is yes to any single part, then the overall answer must be yes. It doesn't matter if the answer is 'no' to every other part, a single 'yes' is enough.
Have you ever committed any criminal offence in any country/territory?
Have you ever been arrested for any criminal offence in any country/territory?
Have you ever been charged with any criminal offence in any country/territory?
Have you ever been convicted of any criminal offence in any country/territory?

Because OP has been arrested for any criminal offence in any country, they must answer yes to "Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with or convicted of any criminal offence in any country/territory?"

To me, for a crime to happen, one must at least have been in a trial, in front of a judge. Then there will be a charge, a conviction by a judge and sentence.
None of that is necessary. For a crime to happen, someone must break the law. This may or may not lead to an arrest, charge, conviction, etc. Similarly, being arrested does not mean a crime has happened. The trial determines that, if one happens.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 1:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I get that. I'm simply making the point that it would have been useful to cite the relevant question either prior or during the answer, especially if one reads a thread half way through (hence the usefulness of quoting).
What would help more is if people read the whole thread rather than jumping the gun and offering advice after scanning through halfway,

The OP's question has been answered, that they must declare that they have been arrested but just because they were denied entry to the US, it doesn't mean they will be denied entry to Canada... and yes, CBSA will likely be able to see that they have been refused entry to the US, and why.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 14th 2017 at 1:38 pm.