Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Delay Oath ceremony as need passport to travel?

Delay Oath ceremony as need passport to travel?

Old Sep 19th 2022, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

bcwisher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Delay Oath ceremony as need passport to travel?

Hi All,

Question - we have our online oath ceremony next month, I have to delay one of my child's ceremony (well he is over 18) as he is now in the UK taking a gap year playing sports etc... then going to uni back in the UK.
He is coming back later next month for a week and then during xmas then easter etc..

Has anyone had experience of travelling back from the UK without a Canadian passport (still being processed) with your PR card being cut up? Not even sure if you'd even get on a flight.. if he lives in the UK should he apply for a eTA or something.
I'm concerned about the time lags between PR card being cut up and getting a Canadian passport!

Thanks!
Old Sep 19th 2022, 8:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delay Oath ceremony as need passport to travel?

He’s not eligible to apply for an ETA if he’s a PR.

If he doesn’t yet have citizenship or a valid PR card, then he’ll need a PRTD to travel - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-document.html

HTH.
Old Sep 19th 2022, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much! Its been a while since I've been keeping up to date. Really appreciate it!
Old Sep 20th 2022, 1:23 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Why is his PR card cut up?
Old Sep 20th 2022, 1:32 am
Just Joined

when you take your citizenship oath ceremony - apparently they will ask you to cut up your PR card!
Old Sep 20th 2022, 6:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcwisher
when you take your citizenship oath ceremony - apparently they will ask you to cut up your PR card!
Your mention of him delaying the oath ceremony has confused things I think! Once he’s done the oath ceremony he’s no longer a PR though - so the PRTD mentioned above isn’t relevant as he won’t be eligible for one of those either.

If he’s a citizen and doesn’t yet have his passport then ideally he just shouldn’t plan to travel (he can get back to the UK on his UK passport, just can’t return to Canada). If he really had to travel between the ceremony and his passport arriving then he’ll need special authorisation - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...a.html#findOut

HTH.
Old Sep 20th 2022, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband had a similar issue a few years ago - he was in Europe for a while and it was very inconvenient and expensive to fly back for a short visit. But it was impossible for us to select a date for a future ceremony so in the end he returned to Canada for a long weekend, attended the ceremony and then applied for his passport as soon as possible after - I took it to Europe so he could then return at a future date. Passport processing times were faster then, but they are improving now.
Sometimes it’s just easier to bite the bullet now and get it over with - there was not going to be a good time in our case for a long while.
Old Sep 20th 2022, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all - Invaluable advice while I navigate the complexities. I did think we'd all be in country but with my son returning to London UK earlier then expected, a few curve balls. Thank you again. Its been a while since I've interacted on this forum but it is such a wealth of information and I always recommend this to folks interested in coming over.
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

IMO its worth the hassle/headache to have him fly to Canada (as even though the ceremony is virtual, IIRC, you have to be physically present in Canada to do the oath), do his ceremony, then go to a passport office and apply urgently for his Canadian passport, fly back to UK and continue his studies (he can use his UK passport.)

You can receive his Canadian one on his behalf and courier it to him in the UK. Or, he can fly to a US PoE on his UK passport entering with ESTA and you can pick him up there and drive back over the border into Canada.

Last edited by Gozit; Sep 22nd 2022 at 1:34 am.