Deferring entry

Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:22 am
Just Joined

curioustom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Deferring entry

Hello all

I am looking to apply as a skilled worker. From general posts on the forum there does not seem to be many jobs available in my field (accountancy) at the moment. However, because the application process is lengthy this situation may have changed by the time any application came to fruition.

If the situation had not changed and I was still unable to find a job, would it be possible to delay moving to Canada? If so for how long would any approved application remain open?
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:28 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of
Default Re: Deferring entry

Originally Posted by curioustom
Hello all

I am looking to apply as a skilled worker. From general posts on the forum there does not seem to be many jobs available in my field (accountancy) at the moment. However, because the application process is lengthy this situation may have changed by the time any application came to fruition.

If the situation had not changed and I was still unable to find a job, would it be possible to delay moving to Canada? If so for how long would any approved application remain open?
You would usually have a year from the date of your medicals to land. But you can land and become a permanent resident on a short trip, then return to the UK.

Once landed, you need to spend two years out of five in Canada to retain your status. This is called the residency obligation. There have been many threads about that on this forum, so do a search to learn all about it.

You could go back to the UK for a couple years or so after landing before actually moving here. Many people do that. Just don't wait too long.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Deferring entry

Hi,

Since the revolution in processing new skilled worker applicants at the end of last year, they are suggesting that processing times should be 6-12 months.

This applies to people whose profession is on the list:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/THE_LIST-Canada

Or if people have arranged employment in the appropriate skill category.

So the wait of 3-5 years isn't going to apply now, because not everyone is being approved. Some people are getting their applications back within a few weeks of applying.

Hope this helps,

Sarah
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

where are you looking to end up in Canada?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:23 am
Just Joined

curioustom is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the information. Applying and then being able to work in the uk until I could find a job in Canada would make things much easier for me.

I was looking at British columbia and Alberta due to what I've heard about where jobs are available (though the situation no longer seems quite as good) but would be willing to consider elsewhere