Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Deadline today for 1000s of temp. foreign workers

Deadline today for 1000s of temp. foreign workers

Old Apr 2nd 2015, 9:12 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deadline today for 1000s of temp. foreign workers

Originally Posted by Aviator
It is harder for folks coming here with permanent residency then not being able to find work, or work in a field they are expert in. They have an expectation of living here permanently and some gave up everything in their birth country to do so. Many had the expectation of work and resuming their careers, to find themselves doing menial work to make ends meet. Some of these jobs are supposed skill shortages, but when they get here, there are no jobs.

At least temporary workers had (or should have) the expectation of it being temporary (as in not for ever), even if there was a hope for permanency. One would assume they would have a plan 'b' as they may be going back home.
100% agree.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 9:32 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

...and why we have so many Phd taxi drivers!
Reality check: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/res...stats/taxi.pdf

It's slightly dated (2006 census) but out of 50,000 taxi drivers in Canada, only 200 were immigrants with a PhD (field unspecified) or MD. Another 55 Canadian taxi drivers had similar academic qualifications.

Similar figures for pilots are unavailable.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 9:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Reality check: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/res...stats/taxi.pdf

It's slightly dated (2006 census) but out of 50,000 taxi drivers in Canada, only 200 were immigrants with a PhD (field unspecified) or MD. Another 55 Canadian taxi drivers had similar academic qualifications.

Similar figures for pilots are unavailable.
Still 200 more than I would expect.

I did not know any Phd pilots. Some of us only had a limited education, many buttons are coloured and different shapes so we could figure out what they were for and the only window at the end, was at the front, so we went to the right bit. It was always good when one arrives at a strip of asphalt, hoping the right one and if the aeroplane can be used again, bonus!
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Ontheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond repute

It is harder for folks coming here with permanent residency then not being able to find work, or work in a field they are expert in. They have an expectation of living here permanently and some gave up everything in their birth country to do so. Many had the expectation of work and resuming their careers, to find themselves doing menial work to make ends meet. Some of these jobs are supposed skill shortages, but when they get here, there are no jobs.

At least temporary workers had (or should have) the expectation of it being temporary (as in not for ever), even if there was a hope for permanency. One would assume they would have a plan 'b' as they may be going back home.
No I'm sorry, the two are totally different, If someone chooses to apply for PR and comes to Canada and is unable to get a job in their field (which sad though it is, it is possible as no one has recruited them for a specific role and brought them into the country for that specific post), they can take any job, and like everyone else establish themselves in the country and if necessary take what qualifications are required to enter their old fields...such is life, same would happen in the UK if you got laid off. Also a PR holder can easily go home and work for a year or more in their old field and return (unless they have burned their bridges)...a TWP can't

A temporary worker, especially one that (like me) was canvassed by his Canadian Employer while happy in the UK looking for a specific skill set who had an established life and career and was lured under the clear promise of CEC PR, does I feel, have a right to be upset and have a whinge, it makes no difference I get PR through marriage (luckily). But for Canadians to say "how dare the TWP whinge" kind of smacks of "yessus boss, sorry boss, I will do what I is told boss".

If you wish i will send you the welcome pack from my employer from 2 years ago, welcoming me to Canada and informing me that if I came it would lead to eventual CEC PR, also included is letters from the HR and the immigration consultant all saying the same thing. I took all of these on good faith. My employer knew to get the people they wanted to uproot they wouldn't do it for a 2 year contract...PR was the carrot. My employer was cute in implying (not saying, just implying) we had to do a set amount of service to apply and the HR and immigration consultant actually said the same (although never in writing) ...but of course both of those are in the employ of the company..and misunderstood the rules to the companies benefit. Rather than applying directly on day one, which at that time was the case and we all could, we all waited, by the time of the changes to the system reached our ears it was too late.

It was on that understanding..the leading to PR... I took the role, that paid less than what I earned in the UK, and on that understanding I sold my life up, rather than put it on hold. To suggest I just packed my bags and believed the world owed me everything, and should have a plan B is insulting.

I might add to enhance the illusion we are coming for good the job offer (re-reading it all now) is for a full time post rather than a 2 year contract, and even stresses that....slap my employer, don't slap me.

Last edited by Ontheroadoflife; Apr 2nd 2015 at 10:32 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 10:40 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

And maybe, under the rules as they were then, it would have led to PR. But the government can change things at any time, as you discovered.

I don't think any TWP can whinge about ending up being a TWP not a PR really. The clue is in the name. "Temporary". The only guarantee of your status is the visa in your passport, not what an employer says. Harsh lesson but true.

Having said that, i do think fastfood TWPs who have been here years should be allowed to stay.

The bottom line is: resources are limited and a state has the ability to limit access to those resources on whatever grounds it chooses, because it has the power (through democracy?) to do so. it's just pointless to complain about it - you may as well complain about nation states existing at all. Unfortunately for TWPs, many Canadians feel they are losing out by having so many come here, and there is evidence to back that up. Since the nation state has a duty to it's citizens not its TWPs, it's no surprise in any conflict of interest between the two the citizens would win out.

it just sucks for the TWPs who have been used by employers.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Apr 2nd 2015 at 10:43 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Ontheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond repute

Just presenting the other side of the argument, it seemed very one sided at one point, just saying there is two sides.

I am not complaining, if I had not of came here as TWP I would never have met my wife (she finds the accent sexy..finally found a woman that doesn't tell me to shut up) .I won the lottery in my book, if we live here, the UK who cares, as long as we are together!
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 11:29 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ontheroadoflife
It was on that understanding..the leading to PR... I took the role, that paid less than what I earned in the UK, and on that understanding I sold my life up, rather than put it on hold. To suggest I just packed my bags and believed the world owed me everything, and should have a plan B is insulting.
Whatever your understanding, temporary is not permanent. One can hope for permanent residency, but to come with that expectation in my view is unwise, as some are now seeing, as rules can and do change.

One should always have a plan b, seems like you have anyway, find a Canadian spouse and off you go, all done.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 11:44 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Whatever your understanding, temporary is not permanent. One can hope for permanent residency, but to come with that expectation in my view is unwise, as some are now seeing, as rules can and do change.

One should always have a plan b, seems like you have anyway, find a Canadian spouse and off you go, all done.
1. Just to add one point. The Temporary workers had 4 years notice that this was going to happen, so the had time to determine or find a route to PR. Most other CIC changes are usually not announced in advance.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Unfortunately for TWPs, many Canadians feel they are losing out by having so many come here, and there is evidence to back that up. Since the nation state has a duty to it's citizens not its TWPs, it's no surprise in any conflict of interest between the two the citizens would win out.

it just sucks for the TWPs who have been used by employers.
I have seen this argument before...my job has been advertised and empty for 8 months...who am I taking it off of exactly? Except the lazy, who want to sit and complain that Temporary workers are the reason a job is not in front of them, I think before that the excuse was first nations, and after it will be all these PR holders or something else. I actually will be glad (and happy to see) when TWP disappears, as suddenly all these "disadvantaged" citizens can be given the choice of flipping burgers or serving coffee or washing toilets..you have no job..there you are..go work for it, if they want my job...move..take it...my employer would be damn glad...they are worried sick about staff shortages!! Thats the other side, which i hope doesn't happen..you take all the TWP away, and suddenly there is no person to take your order at Mcdonalds, in fact as a local place had to they need to close early everyday as they can't get the staff. so you think i know i'll go to Walmart and get the stuff for a sandwich instead..but the shelves are empty as currently (as in my local) Walmart have 14 vacancies, 6 for shelf and handling staff. Damn...okay then...go to a bar and get a pub meal...but heck wouldn't you know it, the local has been bar snacks only for over 2 months as they can't get a chef. You want work..no problem...come move to Calgary...it's everywhere, they got job offers left right and centre! if you don't want to, don't complain about me taking the job instead, I had an interesting discussion in a bar with a guy who said i shouldn't be there etc etc, and was doing "his" job, after a couple of beers had loosened him up, turns out he was on his third DUI and had spent a year in prison for something drug related..I'm sure my employer would welcome him with open arms..<koff>, he was on some state benefit, and unemployed and showing on the figures no doubt, which people say is proof I'm stealing jobs, but there is no way on gods earth my employer would touch him with a pole!

As i said, who am I taking work off of

My job is hard graft, damn hard graft it's there still on job-bank if interested. i can assure you if you apply and you have the skills and aptitude my employer will give it to you in a heartbeat and be glad to have you.

Unless of course those permits we have been waiting for and the company got the local MP involved about (because of course our company is owned and run by a citizen) suddenly show up then your out of luck as I'm keeping it after PR and into Citizenship.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

I find that exceptionally offensive, you know exactly what you are inferring, and for your information we could get married tomorrow to keep me here, but have kept our plans as original as everything is booked, I am going home at the end of the month and getting married in November to return to the UK to await PR...exceptionally offensive sir, and you have shown your colours!
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Ontheroadoflife
I find that exceptionally offensive, you know exactly what you are inferring, and for your information we could get married tomorrow to keep me here, but have kept our plans as original as everything is booked, I am going home at the end of the month and getting married in November to return to the UK to await PR...exceptionally offensive sir, and you have shown your colours!
Such is life!
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 12:55 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Those affected are in low skill jobs, something that had never been possible until the new government listened to the wrong business persons. There was never any chance of PR at that skill level and finally, the 4 year rule is standard.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 1:20 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Ontheroad there is evidence that low-skilled TWPs were in fact taking jobs off locals. This issue is not just about you, and your experience on a TWP - were you working in Tim HOrtons making coffees?
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Ontheroad there is evidence that low-skilled TWPs were in fact taking jobs off locals. This issue is not just about you, and your experience on a TWP - were you working in Tim HOrtons making coffees?
No skill level B, High wage Median, owing to all the TWP hubbub we got caught in the crossfire because of it, our renewals are, right now i should imagine at the bottom of someones in-tray who is being encouraged to not break any processing records to show the new steps are working (cynical, I am), owing to all of the knee-jerk a 3 month renewal process is now entering it's 8th month...( 10 days processing...pah)

First Application..6 weeks, returned, no reason, consensus of changing over to new system.

Second Application...7 weeks returned as ESDC had changed the form and added a box since we had submitted the application..that one was out-standing,it was legal when you applied and filled in correctly, we (ESDC) changed the form, so now it isn't.

Third Application...now in week 20...file number etc...but long time to be patient and not work and watch hard earned savings dribble down...although our ex-employer has been kindly giving us interest free loans to stop us going home

Of course there is also the question of the 4 years...8 months have been spent awaiting renewals, but you can bet we get that taken off the new permits if they arrive this month (otherwise we would be 4yr 8 months in Canada..if that makes sense), so would be 16 months instead.

Last edited by Ontheroadoflife; Apr 3rd 2015 at 2:25 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

scotty1974
Re: Deadline today for 1000s of temp. foreign workers
By the sounds of this article, the IEC and similar visas are going to be next....

Ottawa to limit number of foreign youth working in Canada - The Globe and Mail

ExKiwilass

Re: Deadline today for 1000s of temp. foreign workers
"Ottawa has reciprocal agreements with 32 countries, but is concerned that Canada accepts far more young workers each year than the number of young Canadians accepted by partner countries"

fair enough.

Canada is johnny-come-lately to the idea of restricting the number of young workers

23 years ago my daughter and OH went to New Zealand for 10 months, in effect a gap year for the daughter.

NZ had a reciprocal agreement with Canada re students and young people being able to work and travel in the country EXCEPT there was a high rate of unemployment among NZ youth 16-25 ..........

as a result no foreign young people were able to get work, regardless of any agreements.

Australia would have honored the reciprocal agreement, which allowed young people to stay for a year and work wherever they could find work as they travelled around the country

We had a friend who was in a position to get my daughter an offer of a job which ordinarily would have been enough for her to get a working visa ............. not at that time, if she did not take that exact job and stay in it for the exact time stipulated in the visa, she would have been thrown out immediately.

She went down there with the OH, and volunteered at several jobs, some of the people then "found" a bit of money that "had been lost in the garden or hall" and gave it to her, but we basically supported her, but she was not able to do as much travelling on her own as had been intended.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.