Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Deadline for entering country permanently

Deadline for entering country permanently

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

sand grownun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Deadline for entering country permanently

I hope someone can please help with this query. My daughter 'landed' in Canada on 15 December and then returned to UK to complete her education. I know she has to spend 730 days in Canada to keep up her permanent residency. She wants to take further education in UK, does this mean she would have up to 14 Dec 2010 before she needs to return to Canada on permanent basis?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

SinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Deadline for entering country permanently

Originally Posted by sand grownun
I hope someone can please help with this query. My daughter 'landed' in Canada on 15 December and then returned to UK to complete her education. I know she has to spend 730 days in Canada to keep up her permanent residency. She wants to take further education in UK, does this mean she would have up to 14 Dec 2010 before she needs to return to Canada on permanent basis?
She needs to spend 2 years in a 5 year block going back wards to meet PR requirements. If she landed on 15 Dec 2007, she needs to be back in Canada by 14 Dec 2010 if she returned to UK the same day she landed. She needs to stay in Canada for 2 years before she can go outside for upto 3 years in order to maintain PR.

Last edited by SinghPro; Jun 23rd 2008 at 9:27 am. Reason: typo
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, I understand she would need to spend 3 years here from 2010Would she be ok to go out of country on vacation as long as she is working here or would vacation time be deducted from 730 days residency? Sorry if I am being a bit thick here, but she has just hit me with this wanting to take further education in UK, so plans have now changed.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

SinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sand grownun
Thank you, I understand she would need to spend 3 years here from 2010Would she be ok to go out of country on vacation as long as she is working here or would vacation time be deducted from 730 days residency? Sorry if I am being a bit thick here, but she has just hit me with this wanting to take further education in UK, so plans have now changed.
Every single overnight day a PR spends outside gets deducted from the days in Canada requirement. The requirement is to STAY in Canada 2 years out of 5 years and she comes on the very last day she can not leave canada even for a 1 day without the risk of losing PR. The law changed in 2002 and not its a plain numeric thing with no interpretation of intent in play. There are wonderful schools in Canada too.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your prompt response, I will relay this information to her and she can then make up her mind.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

If she comes out to visit you in Canada before she moves out there, for example, she may choose to spend the summer vacation with you, then this will count towards her days of residency.