Wikiposts

Dazed and Confused

Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

dchahin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dazed and Confused

Hello I have read some info regarding Immigrating into Canada but at this point I am confused. I see that this forum is read by people with previous experience and even lawyers so I'm just going to explain my situation hoping that you guys may offer some advice.

I am working in the US and can work until OCT2009. I work as an analyst and project manager for software implementation in Dynamics GP and Dynamics CRM (I just bring this up because I noticed that I could be eligible for the Software Developer — Services (NOC 9990.5) category)

Me and my common law partner have decided that we want to move to Canada and want to go ahead with our application. We both have bachelors degrees and almost 2 years experience.

I figured I could apply for residence based on the SW category but then I got very confused regarding temp work permits. The confusion came when I noticed that some people say that regardless of the PR I would need to get a work permit and fees might go up. Is this true? Should I try to get a permit based on the NOC9990.5 Category and then once in Canada apply for PR. Can I work once I have a PR without a TW?

It is all very confusing. I already paid for a consultation with immigration lawyer but he barely listened to my questions and was just eager to hang up on me.

Any ideas or recommendations will be more than appreciated.

Thank in Advance

DC
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:11 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dazed and Confused

Hi

Originally Posted by dchahin
Hello I have read some info regarding Immigrating into Canada but at this point I am confused. I see that this forum is read by people with previous experience and even lawyers so I'm just going to explain my situation hoping that you guys may offer some advice.

I am working in the US and can work until OCT2009. I work as an analyst and project manager for software implementation in Dynamics GP and Dynamics CRM (I just bring this up because I noticed that I could be eligible for the Software Developer — Services (NOC 9990.5) category)

Me and my common law partner have decided that we want to move to Canada and want to go ahead with our application. We both have bachelors degrees and almost 2 years experience.

I figured I could apply for residence based on the SW category but then I got very confused regarding temp work permits. The confusion came when I noticed that some people say that regardless of the PR I would need to get a work permit and fees might go up. Is this true? Should I try to get a permit based on the NOC9990.5 Category and then once in Canada apply for PR. Can I work once I have a PR without a TW?

It is all very confusing. I already paid for a consultation with immigration lawyer but he barely listened to my questions and was just eager to hang up on me.

Any ideas or recommendations will be more than appreciated.

Thank in Advance

DC
1. If you can find a job from a Canadian employer that fits in one of the seven IT exemptions, the employer doesn't need a Labour Market Opinion. With a suitable job offer you can apply for a work permit.
2. Once in Canada working, if the employer is will to offers you a permanent position once you receive Permanent Residence, you can apply through Buffalo for Permanent Residence "fast track" as you are in possession of a valid work permit and have been offered a permanent position.
3. Start your reading at the wiki or www.cic.gc.ca
Old Aug 12th 2008, 2:49 am
Just Joined

dchahin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply.

Where is the wiki?

I guess I'm also confused because I don't know what steps to take. Apply for PR first or try to get a job and apply for TW first.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dchahin
Thanks for the reply.

Where is the wiki?

I guess I'm also confused because I don't know what steps to take. Apply for PR first or try to get a job and apply for TW first.
Wiki is at the top of the page, We have SWPR in and my OH is IT sounds sim he is LMO exempt, The wait is a long one so we are going with a job and then expedite our application 9 we hope ) just need to sell the house first,