Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Daugther PR expired and SIN lost, can we do anything?

Daugther PR expired and SIN lost, can we do anything?

Old Jul 28th 2015, 7:52 am
tmb
Forum Regular

tmb is on a distinguished road
Default Daugther PR expired and SIN lost, can we do anything?

Hi,

My situation,

Gained PR in 2009 up for renewal in 2014 which I did for me and my son and have since become citizens. My daughter returned to the UK to study and has recently fininished her degree and wants to return to Canada. She applied to renew her PR status (on time) however it was returned as she doesnt have a driving licence as she was still in the UK. She has also mis placed her SIN number.

She is now here and trying to obtained SIN, driving licence and renew PR with said driving licence however we are finding ourselves it a virtual circle, cant get driving licence without valid PR cant get PR without valid driving licence, cant get SIM without either!

Any suggestions?
Old Jul 28th 2015, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

enak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daugther PR expired and SIN lost, can we do anything?

There must be a way out of that (using original COPR, that kind of thing), but if not then I do have one thought:

I wonder if your province does something like the Ontario card (a card used here in Ontario for people who don't have a driving license).

They don't need much ID to get in the first place, and can be used whenever a driving license is expected for ID.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I hesitate to mention this, but jic it helps; my son managed - after a fair amount of hoop-jumping - to get a DL in Qc with a COPR (and a photocopy of his lost/expired PR card). He did however, meet residency requirements.

It required a certain amount of firm, *polite*, insistence ...

Also: start thinking about/digging through all and any paperwork you may have filed without thinking about it, & may have forgotten, for her SIN #. (That's how we found photocopy of son's PR card- lord knows why I had it, but it helped ).

Last edited by Shirtback; Jul 28th 2015 at 8:20 am.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Actually: important question aside from your daughter's main problem; *does* she meet the RO?
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:55 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tmb
Hi,

My situation,

Gained PR in 2009 up for renewal in 2014 which I did for me and my son and have since become citizens. My daughter returned to the UK to study and has recently fininished her degree and wants to return to Canada. She applied to renew her PR status (on time) however it was returned as she doesnt have a driving licence as she was still in the UK. She has also mis placed her SIN number.

She is now here and trying to obtained SIN, driving licence and renew PR with said driving licence however we are finding ourselves it a virtual circle, cant get driving licence without valid PR cant get PR without valid driving licence, cant get SIM without either!

Any suggestions?
Depending when she moved back to the UK. Has she been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days in the last 5 years?

You don't 'renew' PR status, you have it, or you lost it and have to start again. You renew a PR card, so long as you have met the above residency requirement.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa....asp#appendixA

Service Canada should be able to provide her with her SIN if she goes in and had ID.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:57 am
tmb
Forum Regular

No she didnt as she was vack in the UK at university
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:59 am
tmb
Forum Regular

She has just maganed to get her driving licence! now for the PR card situation. I tried to renew on time evenb though my daughter didnt meet the required time. I explained that she was in the uk at university which she finished last week. The application was returned to me asking for additional proof of ID, i.e. the driving licence, although this was in December, now we have it I will try again....
Old Jul 28th 2015, 9:05 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tmb
She has just maganed to get her driving licence! now for the PR card situation. I tried to renew on time evenb though my daughter didnt meet the required time. I explained that she was in the uk at university which she finished last week. The application was returned to me asking for additional proof of ID, i.e. the driving licence, although this was in December, now we have it I will try again....
If she did not meet the residency obligation, she maybe SOL with PR, regardless of being at university and has to reapply for permanent residency, assuming she can meet the criteria.

One section of the application to renew asks for address history for the last 5 years, another work or educational history and another for travel history. Section D asks about residency obligation and days out of Canada. You also have to give consent for CBSA to hand over history of entries to Canada. This may cause a problem.

Last edited by Aviator; Jul 28th 2015 at 9:07 am.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tmb
Congrats on getting her DL; with that she should be able to recover her SIN.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 28th 2015 at 9:12 am. Reason: Sorry SB, but rule 2 and all that....
Old Jul 28th 2015, 9:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tmb
No she didnt as she was vack in the UK at university
If she's not lived in Canada for at least 730 days out of s rolling 5 year period since landing, then she can't renew her card as she's not maintained her status. Choosing to attend university abroad doesn't help.

Or am I misunderstanding you? Has she met her residency obligations?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 28th 2015 at 9:11 am.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Shirtback
DON'T.

Your daughter should wait until she meets RO before sending in PR card renewal.

Congrats on getting her DL; with that she should be able to recover her SIN.
If the form has gone in and been returned for more ID, the cats out the bag now.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Aviator
If she did not meet the residency obligation, she maybe SOL with PR, regardless of being at university and has to reapply for permanent residency, assuming she can meet the criteria.

One section of the application to renew asks for address history for the last 5 years, another work or educational history and another for travel history. Section D asks about residency obligation and days out of Canada. You also have to give consent for CBSA to hand over history of entries to Canada. This may cause a problem.
Re bolded: no. As she is back in Canada, she needs to meet the RO (730 days on a rolling basis, counting back from the day she applies to renew PR card). All she has to do now is stay in Canada until she meets that requirement, *then* apply.

If she applies now, yes, she'll be in trouble.

Usual reminder that one does not require a valid PR card to live and work in Canada...

And on the whole, yes, OP's daughter has been very lucky so far. If I were her, I wouldn't tempt fate.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Aviator
If the form has gone in and been returned for more ID, the cats out the bag now.
If the application was rejected, no. If there was a request for further information, then the application should be withdrawn until such time as she meets RO.

It's not a question which comes up here often, but it does elsewhere, far too frequently....

Basically, if she's back in Canada, & doesn't leave until she satisfies the RO, she's in the clear.

It would be nice if PMM could weigh in
Old Jul 28th 2015, 9:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

From the first post, I don't think the daughter is in Canada yet though ('she wants to return').

So unless she gets a very dozy immi officer when she does return, she's going to lose her PR status.

Although I'm still hopeful that we've all misunderstood and the OP will say she has spent enough time in Canada to maintain her PR status. If it was only a 3 year degree and she returned to Canada for each break, etc.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
From the first post, I don't think the daughter is in Canada yet though ('she wants to return').

So unless she gets a very dozy immi officer when she does return, she's going to lose her PR status.

Although I'm still hopeful that we've all misunderstood and the OP will say she has spent enough time in Canada to maintain her PR status. If it was only a 3 year degree and she returned to Canada for each break, etc.
From OP's first post: she is now here ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.