Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Daughter is a UK nurse is it best to sponsor her

Daughter is a UK nurse is it best to sponsor her

Old Jan 13th 2022, 7:02 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 42
tinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Daughter is a UK nurse is it best to sponsor her

Looking for some advise on the the best and quickest way to get my Daughter and Fiance over to Canada to live.
We have had PR cards since 2014 but have only lived in Canada since 2017. Waiting for house sale and family issues prolonged our move.
Our dughter had a PR card but had to give it up as she wanted to finish her nursing qualification back in the UK and she did not meet the 730 days resident status.

After doing a lot of research i see things have changed a lot since we originally applied.

Is it best to go down the route of us sponsoring her as she is our daughter? not sure if her fiance could picky back of that application though.

I also see now there is an EE status but from what I have read this takes time and now have to have your name drawn out of a pop.

She realises that she will have to go back to school before she can practise nursing in BC, to get her nursing licence and also get her qualification authorised by BCCNM

Why do kids always think they know best 😩 she still has to come and go back to school. Age 23

Any help would be regretfully received as I do not want to go down the route of a consultant if I can help it as I know they are very expensive.

This community is great and helps lots of people out with their information and knowledge

King regards and thanks









tinabootes is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2022, 5:55 am
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,083
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter is a UK nurse is it best to sponsor her

Unfortunately you’re not able to sponsor her.

So she’ll need to look at what other visa options she’s eligible for. EE is the most common way to apply for PR, it doesn’t take long at all (around 6 months usually, maybe a bit more now with the Covid backlog). And it’s not a case of having your name picked, it’s that those with the highest points are selected and invited to apply for PR. So it will depend on her points score - get her and her fiancé to check in case he scores more than her.

Has she formally renounced her PR status? Does it have to be BC she moves to or would she look at other provinces? Lastly, what does her fiancé do?

It would probably be a good idea to ask her to join BE so that we can help her work out what she’s eligible for.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 14th 2022 at 5:59 am.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jan 16th 2022, 3:13 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 42
tinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter is a UK nurse is it best to sponsor her

Thanks for the advise, for some reason I thought the child sponsorship had been moved to 24 my mistake, it's 22. Wish she had made the desision last year.
Her partner is only a construction labour so she will have to be the main applicant.
She wants to come to BC to live with us so she is not looking at living anywhere else in Canada.
So funny how the country is so despatate for qualified nurses yet they have them bend over backwards before they can practice.
I'll have a look at the EE route and hope that she can get here, this year. She did think about maybe applying for a working visa and then while she was here, apply for her PR but I think that might take just as long.

think I/ she will have to do a lot more research. Can't believe how the system has changed in the last 7 years.

thanks





tinabootes is offline  
Old Jan 16th 2022, 7:13 am
  #4  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,704
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter is a UK nurse is it best to sponsor her

Hi

Originally Posted by tinabootes View Post
Thanks for the advise, for some reason I thought the child sponsorship had been moved to 24 my mistake, it's 22. Wish she had made the desision last year.
Her partner is only a construction labour so she will have to be the main applicant.
She wants to come to BC to live with us so she is not looking at living anywhere else in Canada.
So funny how the country is so despatate for qualified nurses yet they have them bend over backwards before they can practice.
I'll have a look at the EE route and hope that she can get here, this year. She did think about maybe applying for a working visa and then while she was here, apply for her PR but I think that might take just as long.

think I/ she will have to do a lot more research. Can't believe how the system has changed in the last 7 years.

thanks
1. You should note that there has not been a Skilled Worker draw in over a year for Express Entry.
PMM is offline  
Old Jan 16th 2022, 7:24 am
  #5  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,083
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter is a UK nurse is it best to sponsor her

Originally Posted by PMM View Post
Hi



1. You should note that there has not been a Skilled Worker draw in over a year for Express Entry.
They're resuming them soon though apparently.

OP, get your daughter to check she meets the Federal Skilled Worker criteria, and then check her CRS score.

An IEC may be a good option as back up, depending on her score.

Just checking, but has she lived with her fiancé for a year or more? If not, they'll need to be married if she wants him to go on her visa app.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2022, 5:39 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
mdonald1987's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Lancashire, England
Posts: 59
mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter is a UK nurse is it best to sponsor her

Originally Posted by tinabootes View Post
Looking for some advise on the the best and quickest way to get my Daughter and Fiance over to Canada to live.
We have had PR cards since 2014 but have only lived in Canada since 2017. Waiting for house sale and family issues prolonged our move.
Our dughter had a PR card but had to give it up as she wanted to finish her nursing qualification back in the UK and she did not meet the 730 days resident status.

After doing a lot of research i see things have changed a lot since we originally applied.

Is it best to go down the route of us sponsoring her as she is our daughter? not sure if her fiance could picky back of that application though.

I also see now there is an EE status but from what I have read this takes time and now have to have your name drawn out of a pop.

She realises that she will have to go back to school before she can practise nursing in BC, to get her nursing licence and also get her qualification authorised by BCCNM

Why do kids always think they know best 😩 she still has to come and go back to school. Age 23

Any help would be regretfully received as I do not want to go down the route of a consultant if I can help it as I know they are very expensive.

This community is great and helps lots of people out with their information and knowledge

King regards and thanks
Have a look at the BC PNP Healthcare programme. It’s specifically for healthcare workers, including nurses.

https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...e-Professional

She’ll need a job offer beforehand but they have a service that advertises posts where the employer is willing to sponsor. See below.

https://www.healthmatchbc.org/
mdonald1987 is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2022, 6:12 am
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,083
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter is a UK nurse is it best to sponsor her

Originally Posted by mdonald1987 View Post
Have a look at the BC PNP Healthcare programme. It’s specifically for healthcare workers, including nurses.

https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...e-Professional

She’ll need a job offer beforehand but they have a service that advertises posts where the employer is willing to sponsor. See below.

https://www.healthmatchbc.org/
Not sure she’ll have enough work experience to qualify from what the OP’s said, but EE would be much quicker & easier if she’s eligible. So personally I’d check that first and then explore other options if it’s a no go.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2022, 6:16 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
mdonald1987's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Lancashire, England
Posts: 59
mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter is a UK nurse is it best to sponsor her

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Not sure she’ll have enough work experience to qualify from what the OP’s said, but EE would be much quicker & easier if she’s eligible. So personally I’d check that first and then explore other options if it’s a no go.
Ah, yes, I’d forgotten about the 2 years experience. I guess it’s a long-term option if EE doesn’t work out. As you said above, if she could come on and give her CRS score, it may be easier to support her with it.
mdonald1987 is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2022, 8:33 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 42
tinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond reputetinabootes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter is a UK nurse is it best to sponsor her

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
They're resuming them soon though apparently.

OP, get your daughter to check she meets the Federal Skilled Worker criteria, and then check her CRS score.

An IEC may be a good option as back up, depending on her score.

Just checking, but has she lived with her fiancé for a year or more? If not, they'll need to be married if she wants him to go on her visa app.

sorry for the late reply Covid hit out family and blue screens was a no for me for awhile, yes she does meet the skilled worker criteria so I will get her to check her scores, but I heard that they haven't given invitations out of the pool for a long while.
She has been with her fiance for 3 years now and yes he will have to be on her visa app as he's just works for a general house maintenance company, so no degree.

I was thinking IEC might be a quicker option and then when they are here apply for PR

thanks for the info
tinabootes is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2022, 8:40 pm
  #10  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,083
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter is a UK nurse is it best to sponsor her

Originally Posted by tinabootes View Post
sorry for the late reply Covid hit out family and blue screens was a no for me for awhile, yes she does meet the skilled worker criteria so I will get her to check her scores, but I heard that they haven't given invitations out of the pool for a long while.
Sorry to hear about Covid, I hope you're all ok now. They haven't given out ITA's for the FSW program for quite some time due to Covid, you're quite correct, just as many other visa programs were paused (including IEC). But invites are supposedly starting again early this year.

Originally Posted by tinabootes View Post
She has been with her fiance for 3 years now and yes he will have to be on her visa app as he's just works for a general house maintenance company, so no degree.
When you say 'been with', you mean they've lived together for 3 years? If so, that's fine. They just need to prove that they've lived together as husband and wife for a year or more for him to go on her application. What exactly does he do though? Might be worth checking his NOC code and seeing if he's eligible under the Federal Skilled Trade program (which has a much lower point requirement than the FSW program).

Originally Posted by tinabootes View Post
I was thinking IEC might be a quicker option and then when they are here apply for PR
It could be quicker, it will depend on if she manages to get an invite this year though, she'll need to hurry up and apply if that's the route she wants to take as it opened a few days ago and there are already more people in the pool than visas available. So to maximise her chances of getting lucky in the lottery, I'd suggest she applies as quickly as she can. Note that her fiancé can apply too to double their chances, the only problem is that if he gets an IEC and she doesn't, then she would only get an open work permit if he gets a skilled job in Canada, depending on his NOC code that may not be possible? But check his NOC code and see if it's skilled or not.

HTH, best of luck, hope they're over with you at some point later this year.
christmasoompa is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.