Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Daft question re one way flights and LMOs

Daft question re one way flights and LMOs

Old Nov 6th 2011, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Daft question re one way flights and LMOs

Hey everyone

I read a post a while ago and it mentioned one way tickets and being unable to board a plane to Canada unless you had a return ticket??

Just checking that if you are entering with your LMO in hand and applying for TWP at entry you go in on a one way ticket surely?

Probably a very daft question but would be even more daft not to ask it and end up in a royal mess at the airport!

Thanks
Old Nov 6th 2011, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

irishgirl33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Daft question re one way flights and LMOs

yes my hubby went on a one way ticket and LMO.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishgirl33
Thanks - I thought as much - just wanted to check!
Old Nov 7th 2011, 1:40 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishgirl33
Confirm so did mine.
LMO and job offer letter were all he needed.
At Manchester all they did was look at LMO and they were more than happy to let him get on the plane with that.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

If you've not booked yet, don't forget that it usually works out cheaper to get a return on the scheduled airlines (AC, BA etc).

When we flew out here we booked a return, with the return date as far in the future as possible. A month before the 'return date', we called Air Canada and asked for them to postpone it a bit longer. They turned it into a flight voucher valid for 5 months (that would have been one year since we flew the outbound flight)

Anyway, we didn't go home, so I called Air Canada a week before the voucher expired and they gave us a refund of GBP#100 per ticket. That was despite having tickets that were advertised as 100% totally unrefundable

Last edited by wolstie; Nov 7th 2011 at 11:06 am.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolstie
It usually works out cheaper to get a return on the scheduled airlines (AC, BA etc).

When we flew out here we booked a return, with the return date as far in the future as possible. A month before the 'return date', we called Air Canada and asked for them to postpone it a bit longer. They turned it into a flight voucher valid for 5 months (that would have been one year since we flew the outbound flight)

Anyway, we didn't go home, so I called Air Canada a week before the voucher expired and they gave us a refund of GBP#100 per ticket. That was despite having tickets that were advertised as 100% totally unrefundable
Good advice there - thanks.... I like your style! (I love a good refund!!)
Old Nov 7th 2011, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Good advice there - thanks.... I like your style! (I love a good refund!!)
Ha ha, thanks.

To be honest, it wasn't as clear cut as that. When I first phoned the Customer Service advisor, she said "No, you're not entitled to anything back, but you can e-mail our finance department and see what they say". Did that, and then 2 weeks later got an e-mail saying my card will be refunded.

I think at least they have to refund your airport taxes , given that you won't be using the airport!

The only time a one way ticket will work out cheaper is with Air Transat / Canadian Affair.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

venrichard is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone.

I've booked my air transat tickets for myself and family last week, 1-way only, as I've got an LMO to hand at POE. However, I didn't know that 1-way tickets could be an issue. I've phoned up Air-Transat and they insist that we need to have return-tickets (£1200 extra!!!) since we don't have Canadian passports or PR or TWP. Is there anyone else who had this problem but managed without paying huge extra?

Regards,
Ven
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:03 am
Wales to Saskatoon!

JulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really nice

Originally Posted by venrichard
Hi everyone.

I've booked my air transat tickets for myself and family last week, 1-way only, as I've got an LMO to hand at POE. However, I didn't know that 1-way tickets could be an issue. I've phoned up Air-Transat and they insist that we need to have return-tickets (£1200 extra!!!) since we don't have Canadian passports or PR or TWP. Is there anyone else who had this problem but managed without paying huge extra?

Regards,
Ven
We will be going over on a nomination and applying for my WP at POE.. does that also mean we will have to have a return ticket???
Old Sep 30th 2012, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Those coming across on TWPs, LMOs, PNP and the IEC programmes are not required to have a return ticket as far as CBSA are concerned. Ever tried booking a return flight for 2 years ahead of time?
As long as you have documentation ie contracts LOIs then you will be fine.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 12:48 pm
Wales to Saskatoon!

JulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really nice

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Those coming across on TWPs, LMOs, PNP and the IEC programmes are not required to have a return ticket as far as CBSA are concerned. Ever tried booking a return flight for 2 years ahead of time?
Thanks Former Lancastrian for that info
Old Sep 30th 2012, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Is that based on personal experience or someone you know?
Old Sep 30th 2012, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by venrichard
Is that based on personal experience or someone you know?
FL is a CBSA agent so he knows the rules
Old Sep 30th 2012, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
FL is a CBSA agent so he knows the rules
Brilliant! I just wanted to avoid any issue at the airport especially with my family alongside. Air transat staff gave me misleading information. Thanks FL and Geordie Lass.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

biddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud of

We've flown air transat twice with 1 way tickets and never had any issue with them so that person just didn't know what they were talking about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.