Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

D.I.Y. or Use a consultant or lawyer?

D.I.Y. or Use a consultant or lawyer?

Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:00 am
Just Joined

ted34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default D.I.Y. or Use a consultant or lawyer?

Hi Everyone,

I am a self employed plumber from the U.K. am I interested in immigrating to Canada with my wife under the Federal Skilled Worker route.
I was wondering how many of you out there chose to undertake the process yourself or hired a consultant / lawyer to help you and if so who did you choose and how good were / are they.

Many Thanks

Ted.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:25 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D.I.Y. or Use a consultant or lawyer?

Welcome to BE

Once upon a time there was a poll asking the same thing, and I seem to recall it was about 2:1 in favour of DIY. That might go back to the older process, which was perhaps a bit more complicated, but it gives an idea.

There are good and bad consultants/ lawyers out there, but generally the applicant will end up gathering all the supporting documentation/ evidence for the application, and thats really the hard work.

FWIW there is a wiki on the topic...
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...on_Consultants

Good Luck!
Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

We did the spousal route. We visited an immigration consultant when we were visiting Canada about 2 years ago. We asked a lot of questions and when we decided to apply, chose to do it ourselves. The paperwork was endless and we had to provide piles of documentation and photos. We couldn't figure out where an Immigration consultant would have been able to help with any of it.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:47 am
tmb
Forum Regular

tmb is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Allie73
We did the spousal route. We visited an immigration consultant when we were visiting Canada about 2 years ago. We asked a lot of questions and when we decided to apply, chose to do it ourselves. The paperwork was endless and we had to provide piles of documentation and photos. We couldn't figure out where an Immigration consultant would have been able to help with any of it.
I used the DIY route, many posts on here state that even if you employ a consultant etc... you still end up compiling all the documentation which is most of the work. So I guess unless your case is complicated ask yourself where they would add any value?
Old Oct 7th 2010, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza69 is an unknown quantity at this point

we used a consultant and gor ripped off £6000. we didnt have a clue where to start with the immigration process thats why we chose to use a consultant. Never got our money back as the company went bust but like people say you end up doing all the hard work yourself so i dont see the point of one. we did it on our own in the end. You will get alot of help on this site if you get stuck with any questions.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:48 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ted34
Hi Everyone,

I am a self employed plumber from the U.K. am I interested in immigrating to Canada with my wife under the Federal Skilled Worker route.
I was wondering how many of you out there chose to undertake the process yourself or hired a consultant / lawyer to help you and if so who did you choose and how good were / are they.

Many Thanks

Ted.
Are you concerned it might be harder or more complicated because of your self-employed status?
Old Oct 8th 2010, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: D.I.Y. or Use a consultant or lawyer?

Hi,

Many thanks for your replies, I wasn't concerned that it may be harder because I'm self employed, it was just the uncertainty of the whole process and weather we would be able to do it on our own but it seems that a lot of people go the D.I.Y. route.

Is anyone going to the Emigrate exhibition tomorrow in Yorkshire?

Many Thanks

Ted.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

GandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant future

We did the work ourselves. The paperwork was endless, but ultimately it is not too bad. We went to one of the emigrate shows, which had people from some of the provines and the High Comission; we asked them "Can you do the paperwork yourself or is it better to get a consultant/lawyer?" The unequivical answer was do it yourself. We are planning on using the money we saved by do doing the work ourselves to get our stuff shipped to Canada.

Hope this helps and good luck.

p.s. The emigrate show we went to was a couple of years ago, not too bad, in our opinion, but I wouldn't make a long trip to one (say more than 50 miles)and you can get a truckload of info on here.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 4:09 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Many thanks for your replies, I wasn't concerned that it may be harder because I'm self employed, it was just the uncertainty of the whole process and weather we would be able to do it on our own but it seems that a lot of people go the D.I.Y. route.

Is anyone going to the Emigrate exhibition tomorrow in Yorkshire?

Many Thanks

Ted.
Waggle is going to an Expo this weekend - could be the same one.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 6:00 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

We decided to do all the paperwork ourselves. Being a "Consultant" myself (not immigration though I hasten to say), I am rather dubious of a service that hand holds you through a process that is extremely well documented. There is also a huge amount of information and support on this site if you have any issues. For us, the secret was not to look at the whole immigration question as one exercise, but to break it down into baby steps; each one of which is surmountable. Then, when you've got all the separate bits, start to put them together from the beginning to the end. I know this sounds like stating the "bleedin' obvious", but really, it works. A Consultant might reassure and double check things for you, but I think you can cross check and then cross check again (and again) yourself.

Good luck - we will be on Vancouver Island by this time in 2 weeks! Bloody hell!!
Old Oct 9th 2010, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Gary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really nice

Hi,

We did the whole process ourselves. The forms and guides are all available on the immigration website.
You also have this site which will answer all your questions.
You will find that even with a consultant you will be doing most of the paperwork and research.
We applied in 2006 when you had to send the whole file off at the time of application. This took us around 4 months to complete and file as they like it.
We have been here since Feb this year and it was all worth it 200%
Get your forms off!
I applied as an electrician.
Best of luck with it.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

VW092906 is on a distinguished road

we have been doing it ourselves, or I should say I have been doing it all MYSELF! lol (its me who wants to go home, so my job to get us there)

it has been taking me forever and to be honest I have been feeling like I wanted to hire a lawyer for an hour or two just to get me past my last set of questions and reassure me that I have filled out all the correct information, forms etc... but the cheapest quote I got was for $250 an hour so have just plugged on. Im so glad I have found this site, and wish I had thought to find it sooner!

good advice above as well from whoever said to do it in small chunks, I have to say it has been daunting. Especially when you dive into the whole thing and try to see it all done at once.

good luck to you
Old Oct 10th 2010, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: D.I.Y. or Use a consultant or lawyer?

Hi Everybody,

Many thanks to all of you for your own personal in sight and your opinions.
We went to the Emigrate show in Harrogate today and picked up a few new bits of info, so i think that we may go the D.I.Y. route and just take our time and triple check everything and not rush anything.

One very interesting fact that a lady from the High Commission in London said during her presentation was that they have not received a single application back from Sydney N.S. since June 26th this year and the visa office in Sydney was currently sending back 90% of applications because the were filled out wrongly or had some information missing.

Once again many thanks

Ted
Old Oct 10th 2010, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shazza69
we used a consultant and gor ripped off £6000. we didnt have a clue where to start with the immigration process thats why we chose to use a consultant. Never got our money back as the company went bust but like people say you end up doing all the hard work yourself so i dont see the point of one. we did it on our own in the end. You will get alot of help on this site if you get stuck with any questions.
We used a consultant and they were fab. They completed all the paperwork for us, they completed our resumes, given us lots of useful advice. They were expensive but for us we have no regrets using them. I take my hats of to the guys on here who did it all themselves.... we were just partly lazy partly worried that we would do it wrong!!! But we got the visa!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 9:04 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Hi Everybody,

Many thanks to all of you for your own personal in sight and your opinions.
We went to the Emigrate show in Harrogate today and picked up a few new bits of info, so i think that we may go the D.I.Y. route and just take our time and triple check everything and not rush anything.

One very interesting fact that a lady from the High Commission in London said during her presentation was that they have not received a single application back from Sydney N.S. since June 26th this year and the visa office in Sydney was currently sending back 90% of applications because the were filled out wrongly or had some information missing.

Once again many thanks

Ted
Hi Ted,

We completed our own application. It was November 2009 when we started completing rough drafts.........and quite a few drafts later, we actually sent it off in Feb 2010, so for me it took a while making sure things were right!

We got through the paper sift at Nova Scotia, got our 120 day letter and sent the file off with 2 weeks to spare.

As I knew the contents of the 120 day letter before I got it, I had at least an additional 7 weeks to gather docs, (between sending off app and before our letter arrived at the end of April)

I referred to the forum for help when needed, otherwise used the official guide that they give you.

Now is the nail biting time though, as we're waiting for the file to be reviewed, not knowing which way it's going to go! There are many people in the same boat though

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and if I can be of any help, feel free to PM me.

Cheers, katie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.