Currently Visiting - Want To Stay

Old Jul 27th 2017, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Currently Visiting - Want To Stay

the same thing applies .............. the employer has to prove there are no Canadians willing and able to do the job. There are more immigrants doing farm work, but the ones in BC (and I presume elsewhere) come in on limited admittance ............ usually for the farming season. Most of them come up from Mexico, or are immigrant South-east Asian elderly men and women

and to be blunt .............. after reading all the horror stories re payments (don't even think "salary"), housing, feeding, conditions ........ I would not recommend anyone go that route. It's brutal hard work for little pay.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brocky
Does anyone have an insight into how things work with regards to farm workers? I have read that it's a hugely in-demand field (no pun intended) and visa requirements are somewhat relaxed for people in that line of work. Of course, it would be a completely new venture for me, job-wise, but my brother-in-law - being a service manager for an agricultural equipment service company - has plenty of contacts in the farming industry in SK. I'm now thinking that it could be worth investigating and hopefully getting some experience and a job offer in that area.

Thoughts, anyone?
Likely this is what you are thinking of https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...icultural.html

SAWP. Only applies to farm workers from Mexico and parts of the Caribbean.

Managers with farming experience and farm management experience are eligible for the Self Employed program.

All other farm workers would go through the same process as everyone else. Without experience in farming, I doubt this would be a way for you.

You don't seem to be picking up on the 'marry a Canadian' suggestion, this is likley going to be easier than finding a job without in demand skills and qualifications!

Last edited by Aviator; Jul 27th 2017 at 4:31 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:29 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
the same thing applies .............. the employer has to prove there are no Canadians willing and able to do the job. There are more immigrants doing farm work, but the ones in BC (and I presume elsewhere) come in on limited admittance ............ usually for the farming season. Most of them come up from Mexico, or are immigrant South-east Asian elderly men and women

and to be blunt .............. after reading all the horror stories re payments (don't even think "salary"), housing, feeding, conditions ........ I would not recommend anyone go that route. It's brutal hard work for little pay.
Mexicans and Caribbean only for SAWP. Asian workers have come under regular PR and sponsorship.

The payment and conditions stories have in part related to SAWP, but also a lot to do with labour contractors, which hire PRs and Canadians, mostly Indo-Canadians workers. SAWP requires min wage, accommodation and flights be paid for by employer. It is a temp position for a season only.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 6:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have personal experience of this low-skill pilot project?

Temporary Foreign Worker Program: Hiring foreign workers in occupations that require lower levels of formal training

Was just thinking if the OP was able to obtain a low skill job under the pilot (perhaps from contact his family have, if the employers were willing to apply for an LMIA) and if they were able to get one, then the OP could apply under the PNP for Saskatchewan Experience Class after 6 months working, perhaps.

You sometimes see jobs in the hospitality industry (particularly in out-of-the-way places) that are prepared to apply for an LMIA. Truck driving might be another possibility, if the OP has or could get his licence.

https://www.saskatchewan.ca/resident...wan-experience

Just thinking outside of the box.

Alternatively, have you checked to see what points you would score under Express Entry?

Old Jul 28th 2017, 3:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
.... You don't seem to be picking up on the 'marry a Canadian' suggestion, this is likley going to be easier than finding a job without in demand skills and qualifications!
He may think you, and the others, are joking, but I know you're not, as it is equally possible "south of the border". Disclose: I would be unlikely to be living in the US were it not for my wife being a US citizen - we met on line 19 years ago, and have been married for 17 years.

That said, qualifications and experience suitable for a decent job/income, or at very least being on the path towards a decent job/career, are going to make you a more attractive catch. :nod

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 28th 2017 at 3:42 am.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 5:28 am
Just Joined

jm_5671 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm surprised only one person has mentioned express entry so far, I assumed most adult Brits moving to Canada would go through this route? Fill out this survey here to see if you are eligible: Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?

I think you'd likely apply for EE under a skilled workers visa (thats what Im doing right now), its a points based system that ranks you for on you job, education, age etc. One minor bonus for you is that having a sister in Canada will give you a small points boost.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 6:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jm_5671
I'm surprised only one person has mentioned express entry so far, I assumed most adult Brits moving to Canada would go through this route? Fill out this survey here to see if you are eligible: Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?

I think you'd likely apply for EE under a skilled workers visa (thats what Im doing right now), its a points based system that ranks you for on you job, education, age etc. One minor bonus for you is that having a sister in Canada will give you a small points boost.
I'm not sure the OP will qualify as a FSW personally, I did a quick tot up when he first posted but based on what he's said he wouldn't score enough.

But i suspect the reason most haven't suggested EE (as well as it probably not being an option for him) is that he's asking about visa routes that will enable him to stay in Canada, which EE wouldn't do as it would take too long. I think people were trying to find him quicker solutions.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 1:55 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jm_5671

You get points for having a sister in Canada? I didn't know that.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 2:19 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The OP sounds desperate. Is there something wrong with going home, getting an education in a skill which will actually get you a decent paying job and then applying? A university degree takes 3-4 years. Once you have a degree you can look at emigrating. In the meantime, match.com or eharmony.com are great ways of making connections with nice Canadians of the opposite (or same, whatever floats your boat) sex, which might be an alternate way in.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 6:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
You get points for having a sister in Canada? I didn't know that.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...bility-896301/