Current Timescales - Skilled Visa

Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

ScottishDad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Current Timescales - Skilled Visa

Hi, I was wondering if anyone know the current timescales for a Skilled Visa?

Thanks
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Timescales - Skilled Visa

It's hard for people to say because there are no timescales to go on for the current system since it changed recently. However, I'd go on something in the region of 12 (if you're very lucky) to 18 months (more likely) from point of application, give or take.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
It's hard for people to say because there are no timescales to go on for the current system since it changed recently. However, I'd go on something in the region of 12 (if you're very lucky) to 18 months (more likely) from point of application, give or take.
Yes it's hard to tell at the moment. However "new" applications arriving at London CHC should go straight to background/security/medicals stage, so this should mean at least a few months less time at visa office than those applying under the previous rules with 120 day letter etc.

Visa offices like Manila and Singapore are already issuing medical requests to "new" applicants, so whereas the busier London office will doubtless be a month or two behind, I reckon we'll see the first medical requests for new rules applicants around April time. This means probably visa issued around July - making around 1 year (just under) for total time from applying to CIO.

All guesswork of course
Wayne.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waggle

All guesswork of course
Wayne.
or wishful thinking
Old Feb 21st 2011, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family
or wishful thinking
Well partly But also we can see from other visa offices that new applicants are already getting medical requests, so it's just a question of how far behind London are, and whereabouts the new applications will "slot in" with the other pre-June-26 applications already at the background/security/medicals stage.

Wayne.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 2:39 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waggle
Well partly But also we can see from other visa offices that new applicants are already getting medical requests, so it's just a question of how far behind London are, and whereabouts the new applications will "slot in" with the other pre-June-26 applications already at the background/security/medicals stage.

Wayne.
But they should clear the backlog first I say.. more wishful thinking
Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by james.mc
But they should clear the backlog first I say.. more wishful thinking
In terms of fairness to individual applicants, clearing the backlog first would be the best thing to do. But in terms of meeting what the Canadian government deems to be priorities with regards to their labour market, it isn't.

As Falcore's recent response from the Minister indicates, the 2007 and backlog applicants aren't on their list of priorities at the moment.

I have nothing but the deepest sympathy for backlog applicants, I know it must be very frustrating to have to wait such a long time. However, if an applicant finds his or herself on the in demand occupation list there is nothing to stop them from submitting a parallel application under the new rules. And at any time they can secure a job offer and submit a parallel application that way.

And although they have to wait a long time, the backlog applicants do have the luxury of not needing to have 1 year's work experience in one of the in-demand occupations. So although the process is much longer, they do at least have a foot in the door which is unavailable to many people now wishing to apply.

Personally I don't see why they can't just hire more staff in order to get through the backlog more quickly. It's not like they don't have the money with the large amount of processing fee revenue they get!

Wayne.