Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Current timescale for BC PNP visa?

Current timescale for BC PNP visa?

Old Apr 9th 2011, 11:24 am
Just Joined

happybunny39 is just really nicehappybunny39 is just really nicehappybunny39 is just really nicehappybunny39 is just really nicehappybunny39 is just really nicehappybunny39 is just really nicehappybunny39 is just really nicehappybunny39 is just really nice
Default Current timescale for BC PNP visa?

Hi.

We have the job offer, agreed by HRSDC and are submitting a joint visa with the employer.

I have three questions - any help would be appreciated.

1) How long does a BC PNP PR (British Columbia Provincial Nomination programme Permenent Resident visa) current take to assess and approve?

2) How long do you have after issue of visa to enter Canada and get your passport stamped?

3) If the job doesn't work out for any reason, are we then free to look elsewhere?, or do you have to do a specific time frame with the sponsoring company? (Hopefully all will be well, but it is always a good idea to have a 'B' plan, just in case). Does the company have to get back to the Visa office with your attendance and progress? Just how stable is this visa??????

Thanks guys, all help is appreciated
Old Apr 9th 2011, 11:26 am
Just Joined

happybunny39 is just really nicehappybunny39 is just really nicehappybunny39 is just really nicehappybunny39 is just really nicehappybunny39 is just really nicehappybunny39 is just really nicehappybunny39 is just really nicehappybunny39 is just really nice
Default Re: Current timescale for BC PNP visa?

and ....final question.... Can I send husband on ahead to get settled and then follow with the kids (ie once his visa is stamped are they all validated) or do we all have to make a trip to get passports stamped and then leave and come back when arrangements are sorted (very expensive option! but not sure how it all works)

Cheers
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

nichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud of

From our experience, you're currently looking at about 14months+.

We've been in BC on a 3yr temp work permit since 2008 and we're sponsored by my wife's employer (health care). BC PNP application initially sent off August 2009, accepted October 2009 (2 months). We then sat on it for a while and sent off the federal aplication 1 Apr 2010. Did medicals 6 Sep2010 (no issues). We're still waiting for the result, so thats 12 months and counting for the federal part so far, who knows how much longer!
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nichburton
From our experience, you're currently looking at about 14months+.

We've been in BC on a 3yr temp work permit since 2008 and we're sponsored by my wife's employer (health care). BC PNP application initially sent off August 2009, accepted October 2009 (2 months). We then sat on it for a while and sent off the federal aplication 1 Apr 2010. Did medicals 6 Sep2010 (no issues). We're still waiting for the result, so thats 12 months and counting for the federal part so far, who knows how much longer!
Hi, thanks for that - OMG that is such a long time!!!

From what I read though, I think it is a different processing system if you already hold a work permit and are already landed in Canada and working (????). We have been offered a job, which has passed the HRSDC assessment, and therefore the visa is needed in order to take up the job (we aren't applying for TWP in the interim, but are applying for direct BC PNP and will only leave when full PR via the BC PNP is issued). My understanding is that this way it should take approx 6 months or less, but have I got that wrong????? Re looking at the CIC.BC.Ca website, this seems a seperate avenue from applying after a TWP is already in hand????

Can anyone clarify or correct me on that? or enlighten me more?
Old Apr 10th 2011, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Vbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really nice

Originally Posted by happybunny39
Hi, thanks for that - OMG that is such a long time!!!

From what I read though, I think it is a different processing system if you already hold a work permit and are already landed in Canada and working (????). We have been offered a job, which has passed the HRSDC assessment, and therefore the visa is needed in order to take up the job (we aren't applying for TWP in the interim, but are applying for direct BC PNP and will only leave when full PR via the BC PNP is issued). My understanding is that this way it should take approx 6 months or less, but have I got that wrong????? Re looking at the CIC.BC.Ca website, this seems a seperate avenue from applying after a TWP is already in hand????

Can anyone clarify or correct me on that? or enlighten me more?
With the BC PNP certificate, they will issue you a work permit so you can go to Canada and start working. At the same time, you can submit the application for PR on the federal level at the specified consulate in the letter (London?)

That's my understanding
Old Apr 10th 2011, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vbomb
With the BC PNP certificate, they will issue you a work permit so you can go to Canada and start working. At the same time, you can submit the application for PR on the federal level at the specified consulate in the letter (London?)

That's my understanding
So you still only end up with a temporary work permit???? Not sure I want to relocate my family and give all the power to the employer. Leaves you in a very submissive position, as they literally have control of your life. Scary....

Mmmmm...need to think on this more andf re read stuff.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

BTW, the reason I am anti work permit and want permenence is we have already had the experience of moving to the other side of the world and being made redundant with only two weeks' notice - in a VERY rural area, with no local jobs. Luckily we had pushed through the PR (only took us 4 months from landing - New Zealand), and had the right to go self employed, so I was hoping there was a way of doing this in Canada too - as otherwise that would have been a VERY hairy situation.

From my experience, I know a few people this has happened to. Employers seem to do this to people on work visas, as they can 'make the problem go away' - as you have to leave the country if you can't find new employment.....
Old Apr 10th 2011, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

That's my understanding
Hi VBomb. I think I may have read the attached wrong then? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...p#confirmation . I took this to mean that I can apply immediately for PR. It says that processing time (yes, I found it! ) is currently 84 days, and it says 'If your application is approved, the visa office will issue a permanent resident visa to you. Your permanent resident visa includes your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and your entry visa'. That is where I thought it meant it would be issued up front, that they give you the entry visa with it

I presumed that they fast tracked it as the employer wanted the employee. Can anyone make sense of this? I find their website quite confusing

Cheers
Old Apr 11th 2011, 12:29 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Hi VBomb. I think I may have read the attached wrong then? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...p#confirmation . I took this to mean that I can apply immediately for PR. It says that processing time (yes, I found it! ) is currently 84 days, and it says 'If your application is approved, the visa office will issue a permanent resident visa to you. Your permanent resident visa includes your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and your entry visa'. That is where I thought it meant it would be issued up front, that they give you the entry visa with it

I presumed that they fast tracked it as the employer wanted the employee. Can anyone make sense of this? I find their website quite confusing

Cheers
The BC PNP program allows you once approved to apply for a Permanent Residency - as mentioned before this takes a bit longer than a year. However, in the mean time BC PNP will issue you a letter in order to work on a TWP until you receive your PR visa.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Vbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really nice

Cheers
You might get your TWP in 84 days but definitely not the PR in 84 days. It takes about 12 months. You can submit 2 applications immidiately after receiving BC PNP nomination certificate. It will be employer dependent so if your wife quits her job, you might not get your PR. Some consulates requires an up to date employment letter when you submit the passport for VISA
Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:43 am
Just Joined

You might get your TWP in 84 days but definitely not the PR in 84 days. It takes about 12 months. You can submit 2 applications immidiately after receiving BC PNP nomination certificate. It will be employer dependent so if your wife quits her job, you might not get your PR. Some consulates requires an up to date employment letter when you submit the passport for VISA
So how does the immigrant protect themselves against rogue employers? What if someone mistreated you or unfairly dismissed you and refused to play game with the visa office? What options would you have? (Apart from not working for a rogue employer in the first place, but how would you know until you got there?)

Last edited by happybunny39; Apr 11th 2011 at 8:25 am. Reason: privacy
Old Apr 12th 2011, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

So how does the immigrant protect themselves against rogue employers? What if someone mistreated you or unfairly dismissed you and refused to play game with the visa office? What options would you have? (Apart from not working for a rogue employer in the first place, but how would you know until you got there?)
That's a great question. There's no straight answer.

First, the employer can't just pay you anything they want, they need to pay you the "average" salary for that position in order to qualify for BC PNP. And if you already have PNP, it means the office has already filtered and made sure the employer is legit: years in business, business license, number of employers etc.

Your wife is a nurse right? I doubt she's gonna be taken advantage of since she's probably working for Fraser Health? It's a government agency...

In any case, if that happens, you can just talk to BC PNP, but it's not guaranteed that you're gonna get PR because it's employer driven

This sorta happened to me and I just kinda sucked it up. They paid me the minimum salary. They send me on multiple client visits, sometimes with 2 hours notice overnight in remote areas up north!!!! Of course they can't do that to any of the senior associates in the office and just because I have to stick with them till I get PR, they know I just have to do it

CAN'T WAIT to give my notice
Old Apr 12th 2011, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Your wife is a nurse right? I doubt she's gonna be taken advantage of since she's probably working for Fraser Health? It's a government agency...

This sorta happened to me and I just kinda sucked it up. They paid me the minimum salary. They send me on multiple client visits, sometimes with 2 hours notice overnight in remote areas up north!!!! Of course they can't do that to any of the senior associates in the office and just because I have to stick with them till I get PR, they know I just have to do it

CAN'T WAIT to give my notice
No not a nurse, I am a social worker, but we are applying under hubby's job. (Shhhhh! don't tell him about my wife lol)

Secondly, man that sucks!!!
Isn't there anyone out there fighting for the rights of immigrants? After all, we are there trying to build up their country (and yes, I know for personal reasons too, but that still doesn't make us any less human).

I am very worried about just having a TWP. Firstly from my experience of hubby being made redundant with two week's notice. We have had friends who had to leave their home behond as they lost their job and couldn't get a new visa. Don't immigrants on TWP have ANY rights at all????????
Old Apr 12th 2011, 6:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Don't immigrants on TWP have ANY rights at all????????
No, as evidenced by the many people on this forum who have had to return to the UK after being made redundant or similar on a TWP. The name of it is Temporary Work Permit, so from CIC's point of view you are not supposed to sell up everything in the UK and leave your life behind, as it's only a temp visa for a couple of years.

Workers in Canada have much less rights generally than in the UK anyway, and those on a TWP are tied to one employer so do not have the security that PR brings.

If it's important to you (and I can understand if so, I don't think TWP's are ever ideal for families tbh, although great if you're young, free and single with no kids to worry about) then you'll have to rethink. If you are a social worker, then why not apply for FSW so you all have PR before you go?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

No not a nurse, I am a social worker, but we are applying under hubby's job. (Shhhhh! don't tell him about my wife lol)

Secondly, man that sucks!!!
Isn't there anyone out there fighting for the rights of immigrants? After all, we are there trying to build up their country (and yes, I know for personal reasons too, but that still doesn't make us any less human).

I am very worried about just having a TWP. Firstly from my experience of hubby being made redundant with two week's notice. We have had friends who had to leave their home behond as they lost their job and couldn't get a new visa. Don't immigrants on TWP have ANY rights at all????????
Yeah it sucks but put it this way, if someone is willing to go through such length to hire a foreign worker, it means that they can't find any local Canadians doing the same job with the quality/expertise desired and/or the pay rate expected

I don't think this will happen to you as much when you work for larger companies or government agencies. It's usually just the smaller companies trying to cut cost. Plus in my case, I graduated from uni in 2009 so not expecting any special treatment compared to the other people in the office been there for 3+ years and in their 30s with kids

I wouldn't sell your house and bring all belongings over here, why not rent for a year and once you get your PR, you can move more permanently?

Last edited by Vbomb; Apr 13th 2011 at 5:45 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.