Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Current situation for British trained Drs relocating to Canada?

Current situation for British trained Drs relocating to Canada?

Old Jun 26th 2013, 1:05 am
Just Joined

PumpkinPositive is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Current situation for British trained Drs relocating to Canada?

I will be starting my first year as a Dr (FY1) in the UK in Aug but thinking about my long term plans, one of which may include moving to Canada.

I have heard that foreign trained Drs including those from UK, Aus, NZ etc all struggle to become fully licenced in Canada even for rural GP posts, with many driving taxis and doing other random bits of work.

So my questions are

1. How difficult is it to become fully licenced in Canada, are some specialties easier than others?
2. Is this situation set to change at any point in the future?
3. Are there any alternative ways to become a fully licenced Dr?

These questions are a bit specific, but any input would be appreciated!
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Silverdoll747 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Current situation for British trained Drs relocating to Canada?

Hello!

There is a massive shortage of drs here in Canada. However the ease and requirements for getting settled here in Canada depend on the province you plan to move to. Different provinces have different requirements, exams to pass etc so you need to do your research really.

Also it is best if you move after completing your speciality training (obtaining your CCT and College registration) as the places for residency here are very limited for Canadian graduates much less an International/foreign graduate. You can start by attending a BMA careers fair to speak to some recruiters and also looking at the College website for the province you are interested in.

I am a UK trained GP settling in Alberta so can tell you more about the process here if you decide on Alberta.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 12:52 am
Just Joined

raptors is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silverdoll747
Hello!

There is a massive shortage of drs here in Canada. However the ease and requirements for getting settled here in Canada depend on the province you plan to move to. Different provinces have different requirements, exams to pass etc so you need to do your research really.

Also it is best if you move after completing your speciality training (obtaining your CCT and College registration) as the places for residency here are very limited for Canadian graduates much less an International/foreign graduate. You can start by attending a BMA careers fair to speak to some recruiters and also looking at the College website for the province you are interested in.

I am a UK trained GP settling in Alberta so can tell you more about the process here if you decide on Alberta.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Where are you in Alberta?
Old Jul 20th 2013, 12:59 am
Just Joined

Silverdoll747 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm based in Calgary
Old Sep 15th 2013, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

rakesh133 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Silverdoll747,

Thanks for your post, I too am a UK trained GP considering relocation. I would be grateful if you would PM me so that I may ask you a few questions. Thank you.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 2:07 pm
JSD
Just Joined

JSD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rakesh133
Hi Silverdoll747,

Thanks for your post, I too am a UK trained GP considering relocation. I would be grateful if you would PM me so that I may ask you a few questions. Thank you.
Hi All,

If you are interested the following are exhibiting at the BMJ careers fair in London on the 18th and 19th of this month:

http://www.albertaphysicianlink.ab.ca/

http://www.healthmatchbc.org/

They are doing seminars and will be a great source of information, specific advice for what documents need to approved and how the process works. I am also going along.

Thanks