Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Current Points Pass Mark changing?

Wikiposts

Current Points Pass Mark changing?

Old Jan 7th 2008, 7:58 am
Just Joined

netreg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Current Points Pass Mark changing?

Hi,

Would anyone be able to advise on how often the points pass mark changes.. The reason i asked was that a few months ago I used a site to do a free points test and a short while ago I received an email from them stating, and i quote

"Also I should note that I am now advising all my clients that the current pass mark of 67 points may be increased in the near future."

Is this just a little trick to panic people into signing up with a 3rd party or is the points pass mark changing

any advice is very much appreciated...
thanks

Darren
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:04 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Points Pass Mark changing?

With a certain degree of regularity we hear that the points threshold may be raised.

It may be raised. It may not be raised.

Whether or not it is raised is almost irrelevant.

The only type of application that relies on points is a permanent residence visa application via the skilled worker route. Those applications are taking in the order of 5 years to be processed.

If you want to get into Canada more quickly -- say within a year or so -- I recommend that you read the BE Wiki article called Getting into Canada quickly.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by netreg
Hi,

Would anyone be able to advise on how often the points pass mark changes.. The reason i asked was that a few months ago I used a site to do a free points test and a short while ago I received an email from them stating, and i quote

"Also I should note that I am now advising all my clients that the current pass mark of 67 points may be increased in the near future."

Is this just a little trick to panic people into signing up with a 3rd party or is the points pass mark changing

any advice is very much appreciated...
thanks

Darren
Well, it might and it might not.

But why would you want to sign up with 3rd party?
Do you have a past conviction?
Don't you have enough points?
Can't you read and write and use someone else to post here for you?
Do you think there is anything about your history that may complicate your application?

If you are averagely intelligent, can read and understand instructions, fill out forms and gather needed documents, why not do it yourself. No need to shell out £££££ extra for a consultant. And if you do use one, make sure it is one who is CSIC registered.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by YYZlover
But why would you want to sign up with 3rd party?
I don't want to use them, i just used their site to do a points check

Judy, Thanks for the wiki reference.

I'm intending to submit a skilled worker PR application... but I'm also actively job hunting as well to try and get a temporary work permit. So it really looks as though that is going to be the quickest route..

When you submit your application does the pass mark at the time you submitted count or is it the pass mark when the application is processed?

thank you
Darren
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:37 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by netreg
When you submit your application does the pass mark at the time you submitted count or is it the pass mark when the application is processed?
Darren, if you apply for PR from the UK, you'll probably have to use the Simplified Application Process.

CIC's web page on the topic states:
The simplified application process guarantees your place in the processing line. Your application will be processed based on regulations that are in effect on the date that you submit your application, even if they change after you apply.
About the pass mark ....... If you were to come to Canada on a temporary work permit, and if your employer then was to offer you a permanent job, that job offer would add 10 points. In most cases, such a job offer also would result in your PR application being fast tracked (that is, it likely would be processed within a year or so).
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Darren, if you apply for PR from the UK, you'll probably have to use the Simplified Application Process.

The simplified application process guarantees your place in the processing line. Your application will be processed based on regulations that are in effect on the date that you submit your application, even if they change after you apply.
About the pass mark ....... If you were to come to Canada on a temporary work permit, and if your employer then was to offer you a permanent job, that job offer would add 10 points. In most cases, such a job offer also would result in your PR application being fast tracked (that is, it likely would be processed within a year or so).
Judy,

thank you for clarifying... i remember now seeing that statement when looking at the Simplified Application form... I'm trying to absorb so much, but i guess a lot of you guys have already got the t-shirt on that one

thanks again.
Darren
Old Jan 7th 2008, 10:11 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

Just a quick note as it seems again that many misinterpret the statement from CIC website.

- Pass mark is not listed in Regulations.

- Current Regulations clearly state in section 77 as follows:

For the purposes of Part 5, the requirements and criteria set out in sections 75 and 76 must be met at the time an application for a permanent resident visa is made as well as at the time the visa is issued.

- Thus statement on CIC website telling you that application will be processed as per Regulations on the date of application doesn't mean "against the pass mark at that time" - it only means as per Regulations at that time. And the above section 77 is part of the Regulations. Pass mark isn't.

- Thus, if pass mark changes during your wait you will be assessed against such new pass mark, exactly as Regulations at the time of application already stated in section 77.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

ndugu will become famous soon enoughndugu will become famous soon enough

We applied in 2005 and there has always been rumors about pass mark increase. I've personally never belived and will never do until I hear it from CIC and see it on their webpage. Don't panic! I don't think it will increase in the near future but be sure there will always be rumour fans and their supporters
Old Jan 7th 2008, 10:54 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

It is irrelevant what we may think as CIC may change the pass mark at any time, as per IRPA and it's Regulations. Fact that pass mark hasn't been changed since 2003 makes it more than less likely to be changed sooner than later.

But with the current government's policy of moving from independent to employment based immigration, introduction of CEC class, shifting visa quotas from SW class to PNP and CEC - government may not even think anymore about pass mark as management tool as it was intended to be.

Less and less visas available every year to SW without arranged employment will replace any management effect pass mark would have.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

the big burp is on a distinguished road

i think andrew has the right idea, with all the prioritising of arranged employment applications they dont have to change the passmark as it will become incresingly less important. my bet is on that the passmark will remain as is for the time being and the govt will work on fast tracking those in canada, with arrangement employment etc