Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Current IEC VIsa Looking to start up a business?

Current IEC VIsa Looking to start up a business?

Old Dec 29th 2016, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Greenroyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Current IEC VIsa Looking to start up a business?

I am currently a year into my IEC Visa and I'm looking for information regarding starting up a small company. First of all is this allowed on the IEC Visa? Secondly if so are there any grants available for someone on the IEC for start up costs etc?

Thanks
Old Dec 29th 2016, 2:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current IEC VIsa Looking to start up a business?

Originally Posted by Greenroyd
I am currently a year into my IEC Visa and I'm looking for information regarding starting up a small company. First of all is this allowed on the IEC Visa? Secondly if so are there any grants available for someone on the IEC for start up costs etc?

Thanks
Nothing stopping you doing it. Start up costs on an IEC are a bit risky. What happens when you have to leave Canada, you shut it down?
Are you starting a company or just starting up as a proprietorship?

No grants, its on your own dime. If you cannot afford it, this could be your first hurdle.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I would be the sole proprietor for the whole thing, I would like to think that it would have some growth. Regards to the visa after a year, my partner and I are looking to apply for PR early in the New year through a second year contract for her work. Would I need to apply separately as an entrepreneur or stick with the common law through hers?
Old Dec 29th 2016, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenroyd
Thanks, I would be the sole proprietor for the whole thing, I would like to think that it would have some growth. Regards to the visa after a year, my partner and I are looking to apply for PR early in the New year through a second year contract for her work. Would I need to apply separately as an entrepreneur or stick with the common law through hers?
Providing you qualify as common law and she gets a job in skill level 0, A or B then you would be eligible for the spousal open work permit. I tend to think it would be much easier than applying under the Start Up Visa programme.
Determine your eligibility – Start-up Visa
Old Dec 29th 2016, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Ok great, it looks like the start up visa is very complicated with having to secure investors which I am not looking to do as of yet. It seems that the common law route would be much easier to secure