British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Current FSW Process (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/current-fsw-process-733413/)

Porkis Sep 23rd 2011 7:12 pm

Current FSW Process

Hi Guys, as most of you have applied under the "old" system, does anyone have any real idea of the "current" process for a FSW application.

What I mean is, after you've applied, what currently happens next? :confused: as there's now no such thing as the 120 day email etc.

I would also appreciate any real life ideas as to realistic timeline going through London, again based on the current process.

Many thanks :)

Porkis

christmasoompa Sep 23rd 2011 7:14 pm

Re: Current FSW Process

Plenty of threads around with recent timelines etc if you want to have a search, but you'll first get a PER or NER (positive eligibility review - you can guess what NER stands for!), then nothing until med requests from what I understand. Figure about a year processing time although quite a few people have had it sooner recently.

HTH.

Porkis Sep 23rd 2011 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9638488)
Plenty of threads around with recent timelines etc if you want to have a search, but you'll first get a PER or NER (positive eligibility review - you can guess what NER stands for!), then nothing until med requests from what I understand. Figure about a year processing time although quite a few people have had it sooner recently.

HTH.

Thanks Oompa, although all of the threads I found were all 2010 and appeared to be based on the older way of doing things, ie years to get anywhere ?

christmasoompa Sep 23rd 2011 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Porkis (Post 9638493)
Thanks Oompa, although all of the threads I found were all 2010 and appeared to be based on the older way of doing things, ie years to get anywhere ?

When did you apply, and which NOC?

BE does have timeline threads, but it's not the main purpose of the forum so if you want more detailed timelines then I'd suggest you look at a website specifically for that purpose i.e. Trackitt.

Porkis Sep 23rd 2011 7:30 pm

Okay, I can apperciate that Oompa, and I've just found Trackitt, which looks ideal, thanks :)

Deeny Sep 23rd 2011 7:56 pm

Hi,

FYI: I applied under the new system in Sept 2010, received PER and file was sent to London VO on 13th Jan 2011. Still waiting to go into process.This may or may not be typical...some have gone through much quicker, some are still waiting.

Good luck with yours.

helcat12 Sep 25th 2011 1:02 pm

We applied under the "new rules" as FSW Cat2 on 7th Sept 2010.

We are IN PROCESS and have been asked to submit new police checks (as the first ones were about to run out by the time they started processing us:frown:) and also updated IM0008, which we did 3 weeks ago today.

Awaiting meds requests now........:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

RKS_in_Calgary Sep 27th 2011 3:43 am

We applied under the "new rules" as FSW Cat2 in Nov 2010 and recevied our letter asking us to send passports on 20 September (well, today actually as we are on vacation currently so can't action until next week but pretty amazed at how quick its been).

Good luck Helcat, sending good vibes again so hopefully you'll hear something soon:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

havana Oct 12th 2011 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by helcat12 (Post 9641015)
We applied under the "new rules" as FSW Cat2 on 7th Sept 2010.

We are IN PROCESS and have been asked to submit new police checks (as the first ones were about to run out by the time they started processing us:frown:) and also updated IM0008, which we did 3 weeks ago today.

Awaiting meds requests now........:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Hello Helcat

I am now very confused, my case is like yours. I got in 20 July 2011 a letter asking for updated IM0008, for that I have filled the old version of IM0008 not the new generic one. Am I wrong, could that be the cause of no further letter up to now??:confused:

Bosco Oct 12th 2011 8:56 pm

How long does the work visa process take?

What is the visa wokers normally apply for?

Is there a skills needed list?

Sorry for these basic questions - I am new to this forum.

helcat12 Oct 12th 2011 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by havana (Post 9671766)
Hello Helcat

I am now very confused, my case is like yours. I got in 20 July 2011 a letter asking for updated IM0008, for that I have filled the old version of IM0008 not the new generic one. Am I wrong, could that be the cause of no further letter up to now??:confused:

I don't know if that is the cause of any delay.
We assumed that they were asking for the updated IM0008 because they had changed the form. The information on it hasn't really changed, so that was all we could think of.
It is best to fill in the most up to date version of the forms whenever you are asked for them because they can ask again if it isn't the most recent version.

We sent in our new Police checks and the IM0008 by courier and they were received by the VO on the 3rd September.
Since then we have had no further communication. Medicals should be next for us, but when that will be is anybody's guess.:(

helcat12 Oct 12th 2011 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bosco (Post 9671831)

For Federal Skilled Worker you need to look at this site.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...lled/index.asp

It should answer all your questions initially and then when you have specific questions about your own circumstances forum members will be able to answer them for you.:)

christmasoompa Oct 13th 2011 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Bosco (Post 9671831)

Helcat has directed you to the website that should be able to help (if you look up the top of this forum it has a sticky thread called something like 'essential resources', it's in there as well), but just wanted to say that if you have any further questions it would be better to start your own thread.

It would also be helpful if you can clarify what type of visa you are talking about - it is a Skilled Worker application (which results in Permanent Residency, not a work visa), or a Temporary Work Permit? There are only 29 occupations eligible for a Skilled Worker application without a job offer, details will be on the link Helcat gave you. As for processing time, etc, it will depend on exactly which visa.

Lastly, please take the time to read the link in my thread, thanks.

Bosco Oct 17th 2011 7:45 pm

I am over 35. I don't know any employer or people in Canada.

I don't know anyone in Cnanda.

But I am interested to give it a go out there.

Would applying for a visa under the skilled worker catorary be my correct option?

expatdoris Oct 17th 2011 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bosco (Post 9680114)

Would applying for a visa under the skilled worker catorary be my correct option?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...lled/index.asp

The above link is a graet place to start. Good luck.

christmasoompa Oct 17th 2011 7:51 pm

If you re-read my reply, you'll see that I did ask that if you have any further questions you start your own thread - please do so, to avoid hijacking the OP's thread any more.

But in answer to your question, if you are definitely eligible as a Skilled Worker, then yes, that would be your quickest, easiest route to Permanent Residency.

helcat12 Oct 17th 2011 8:02 pm

To repeat, Bosco, you are really going to have to do the research yourself as no-one but you knows the details of your circumstances, which will dictate whether you are eligible for any of the immigration streams and if so, which ones might be the best choice for you.

If you go out to Canada and get a job offer (and fulfil the LMO requirements), then you can apply for FSW Category 2 or PNP but that is all I know about because that is what we looked into due to our circumstances not fitting any other immigration route.

Use the website link I posted and the Wikis christmasoompa directed you to and read carefully and thoroughly.
Only you can narrow it down to what could work for you and then when you have found what route/s you are eligible for, posters on this site can answer more specific questions.
At the moment, no-one can really advise you because there are so many routes and so many variables in applicants' situations which dictate their admissibility.
Good Luck finding a route that you can access.

havana Nov 12th 2011 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by helcat12 (Post 9671948)
I don't know if that is the cause of any delay.
We assumed that they were asking for the updated IM0008 because they had changed the form. The information on it hasn't really changed, so that was all we could think of.
It is best to fill in the most up to date version of the forms whenever you are asked for them because they can ask again if it isn't the most recent version.

We sent in our new Police checks and the IM0008 by courier and they were received by the VO on the 3rd September.
Since then we have had no further communication. Medicals should be next for us, but when that will be is anybody's guess.:(

hello Helcat
As you and me share close timeline, I am also waiting for medicals since 5th August 2011. On 18 October 2011 it was a year since our application was first received, thus I sent to London VO an email asking about when medicals will come?, after a while they replied (we recieved your updated documents, and your application is in background check. We cannot advise when that will finish, but it is likely to take some time). My records are clean, and do not know why it is taking all that time? what is your status now???

deekwalker Nov 13th 2011 9:10 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9638488)

HTH.

I re-applied on 14th sept 2011 as a fsw .my 1st application lacked info on my apprenticeship and college.My application was received by CIC on 24th Sept.
My credit card has not been charged yet is this a normal timeline and do I need to worry.When I applied last year my cc was charged within 2 days?
Thanks Derek and family hoping to move to Vancouver Island as an Industrial Electrician.

helcat12 Nov 14th 2011 1:31 am

Originally Posted by deekwalker (Post 9730145)
I re-applied on 14th sept 2011 as a fsw .my 1st application lacked info on my apprenticeship and college.My application was received by CIC on 24th Sept.
My credit card has not been charged yet is this a normal timeline and do I need to worry.When I applied last year my cc was charged within 2 days?
Thanks Derek and family hoping to move to Vancouver Island as an Industrial Electrician.

I do not know how long 2011 applications are taking at CIC to charge the credit card at the moment but it isn't uncommon for the first stage of FSW processing to take up to 4 months.
Even once they have taken the money, it is no guarantee that you have passed the first review.

When the review is completed, they will send you the notification (either positive or negative) by e-mail so keep an eye on your Inbox and Junk folder.
Personally, I think that you have a while longer to wait before you should expect to be hearing anything, but it could be before Christmas.