British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Current Citizenship Timeframe??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/current-citizenship-timeframe-405897/)

Hughsie Nov 3rd 2006 3:07 pm

Current Citizenship Timeframe???

Hi guys,
We've been in Canada as PR's for a little under 4 years and are finally ready to apply for Canadian Citizenship - yippee. Can anyone share their experiences with regards to timeframes in this final process? I've heard it's about a year, but as we all know, things can change overnight in the world of CIC!!!

Cheers
Hughsie

PMM Nov 3rd 2006 4:59 pm

Re: Current Citizenship Timeframe???

Hi

Originally Posted by Hughsie
Hi guys,
We've been in Canada as PR's for a little under 4 years and are finally ready to apply for Canadian Citizenship - yippee. Can anyone share their experiences with regards to timeframes in this final process? I've heard it's about a year, but as we all know, things can change overnight in the world of CIC!!!

Cheers
Hughsie

12-15 months, see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...rocessing.html

PMM

Seamus73 Nov 3rd 2006 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Hughsie
Hi guys,

Cheers
Hughsie

Hughsie,

I sent in my form in Feb 2006, my test was in July and my oath ceremony in October! So about 6 months start to finish with me - I live in Mississauga if that makes any difference to expected timescales?

One thing I still find rather odd is that my Citizenship card shows as being issued in March...

Good luck with it, the day I got my Citizenship was a very happy and proud day for me.. and when my new passport arrived I couldn't stop grinning for days!

- Seamus

Souvenir Nov 4th 2006 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Seamus73
One thing I still find rather odd is that my Citizenship card shows as being issued in March...

I wondered about that too. I asked an immigration officer in Ottawa airport. The date on the card is the date on the photo you sent them.

I got mine September last year. Timeline about 12 months. Because Quebec likes to be different, the test and ceremony were the same day.

For those applying for a Canadian passport, hand deliver your application, if you can. It'll speed up the process and they will also check the forms on the spot (they are very picky, particularly about the photo).

PMM Nov 4th 2006 4:53 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I wondered about that too. I asked an immigration officer in Ottawa airport. The date on the card is the date on the photo you sent them.

I got mine September last year. Timeline about 12 months. Because Quebec likes to be different, the test and ceremony were the same day.

For those applying for a Canadian passport, hand deliver your application, if you can. It'll speed up the process and they will also check the forms on the spot (they are very picky, particularly about the photo).

Also much better to complete the application on line and then you are directed to the express lane at the passport office to hand in your application, can save hours of waiting.

PMM

Hughsie Nov 5th 2006 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Seamus73
Hughsie,

I sent in my form in Feb 2006, my test was in July and my oath ceremony in October! So about 6 months start to finish with me - I live in Mississauga if that makes any difference to expected timescales?

Good luck with it, the day I got my Citizenship was a very happy and proud day for me.. and when my new passport arrived I couldn't stop grinning for days!

- Seamus

Thanks Seamus & congrats on your Citizenship... our day will come too - hopefuly in ther not too distant future!!!

ck1 Dec 20th 2006 5:50 pm

update: I sent in my application at the start of October 2006 and have just received a notice to sit my test in January 2007.

Hughsie Dec 20th 2006 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by ck1
update: I sent in my application at the start of October 2006 and have just received a notice to sit my test in January 2007.

That's crazy! 4 months... good luck in January!

Interested Dec 21st 2006 10:44 pm

Anyone else got timelines? I am interested as well.

ck1 which cic office did your applicaion get sent to?

ck1 Dec 22nd 2006 4:48 am

Mine got sent to the Toronto office...

Does any one know whether the test is multiple choice and appx how many questions there will be?

Originally Posted by Interested
Anyone else got timelines? I am interested as well.

ck1 which cic office did your applicaion get sent to?

Interested Dec 22nd 2006 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by ck1

Does any one know whether the test is multiple choice and appx how many questions there will be?

Thanks ck1 - I guess that's the one at St.Clair, Do you know how they assign the office your app. gets sent to?

I am not sure about the test - apparently it is not too difficult, just make sure you read up on the booklet they sent you.

Seamus73 Dec 22nd 2006 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by ck1

The test is multiple choice and I think there were around 20 questions. You have to get 12 to pass, but there are a couple you HAVE to get right on the voting system.

The Richmond public library in BC has an on-line sample test which is similar in style to the real on. The link (if it lets me post it!) is http://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship/

When I took my test the person administering it told us all "Don't worry, this test is designed for people to pass". I think as much as anything its a test of whether or not you really can speak English or French! I think I spent around 5 minutes actually answering the questions. The other 4 hrs I spent at the test centre were sat waiting for people to be processed.

Read the booklet they send and you will be fine

Good luck

- Seamus

fire Jan 2nd 2007 2:16 am

I sent my application end of February 2006 and they haven't schedule me for the test yet!
I live in Calgary Alberta , should I start to worry? :confused:

celine_uk Jan 2nd 2007 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by fire (Post 4241239)
I sent my application end of February 2006 and they haven't schedule me for the test yet!
I live in Calgary Alberta , should I start to worry? :confused:

if I was you I'd call the cic call centre for status update, my partner applied in October and they told him they are doing background checks on him

fire Jan 2nd 2007 3:43 pm

Thanks for the advise.
I called them this morning and the agent said that it takes Calgary office 10 months to schedule me for the exam after they do the background check and that I won't hear from them before April.
It took me less time to apply for immigration in the first place :D