Wikiposts

CSQ and Quebec SW Program

Old Jul 11th 2012, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Airborne_Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CSQ and Quebec SW Program

Hi all,

I've had advice from a well known immigration attorney who advises me that as the FSW program is on hold, I would be eligible to apply for the above. He states it would take around a year (half the time for FSW) to gain PR.
I know my first step is to gain CSQ but I can't make out the process on CiC as its so confusing. Has anyone gone down this route and could you please tell me:
1. Is it quicker
2. Is it more expensive
3. Do I need more than basic french (attorney advised this is all I need)
4. Is it actually do-able

I am on the skilled worker list and have GCSE in French from 1994.

Any help on this would be very appreciated!
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:03 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CSQ and Quebec SW Program

Hi

Originally Posted by Airborne_Dan
Hi all,

I've had advice from a well known immigration attorney who advises me that as the FSW program is on hold, I would be eligible to apply for the above. He states it would take around a year (half the time for FSW) to gain PR.
I know my first step is to gain CSQ but I can't make out the process on CiC as its so confusing. Has anyone gone down this route and could you please tell me:
1. Is it quicker
2. Is it more expensive
3. Do I need more than basic french (attorney advised this is all I need)
4. Is it actually do-able

I am on the skilled worker list and have GCSE in French from 1994.

Any help on this would be very appreciated!
1. Well you find much help on www.cic.gc.ca you have to look at the Quebec site. You take the evaluation: http://www.form.services.micc.gouv.q...anguageCode=en to see if you qualify. Then you have to check http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...ers/index.html to see if the recent changes would effect you.
2. No it is not quicker, it is a two stage process.
3. Yes the fees are higher.
4. You may have trouble getting through the interview with basic french.
5. Doable? You have to take the evaluation.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice

To add to what PMM said:

Fees are much higher, as you pay the CSQ ($750 for principal applicant) fees and then the normal Federal fees on top of that.

In terms of it being quicker - yes, it is a 2 stage process, but it can be quicker than FSW (see my timeline below, and we took our time!) - however the CSQ processing times have increased a lot lately (from about 8 months to over 12), so who knows.

Just so you know, the CSQ process has also had changes lately and has become more restrictive: http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...s-receipt.html

In terms of your level of French, as PMM said, you may struggle at the interview. You'll have to take one of the approved French exams (TEFAQ, TEF or TCFQ) to determine your level. Having said that, it's not unheard of that people have gone there with very little French, but they are generally in extremely high demand occupations which take precedence over their language skills. You also have to ask yourself if you'd want to live somewhere where you can't properly communicate? Yes, some will say that you can perfectly live in Montreal only with English, but whether you'd want to do that is another thing...

Try the evaluation link provided above in the first place, and see how you fare - good luck!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, thanks for the reply guys, I think I'm going to explore this route.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

alexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nice

I got CSQ with basic French here in Montreal. I am learning still and it's a big deal!

However, I got top points in a number of areas namely age, children, education and occupation (aerospace.)

If you think you will get the points, give it a go. Your immigration consultant should be able to calculate your points for you.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alexbellamy
I got CSQ with basic French here in Montreal. I am learning still and it's a big deal!

However, I got top points in a number of areas namely age, children, education and occupation (aerospace.)

If you think you will get the points, give it a go. Your immigration consultant should be able to calculate your points for you.
Thats interesting Alex, I did the questionaire and entered "minimal" french for myself and "no" french for my wife. I believe I would score good points in other areas. Did you have to attend an interview? And how long did it take for you to get CSQ.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

alexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Airborne_Dan
Thats interesting Alex, I did the questionaire and entered "minimal" french for myself and "no" french for my wife. I believe I would score good points in other areas. Did you have to attend an interview? And how long did it take for you to get CSQ.
Yes we had to interview to confirm background, experience, review old pay slips etc. Interview was English with a small amount of French to demonstrate level.

We got CSQ within 3 months here in Montreal but engineering is a priority processing subject.

Good luck!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Alex and everyone else for replies. I thought the entire interview would be in french so thats a big relief.