Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

CSQ - Quebec Application - Employment References

CSQ - Quebec Application - Employment References

Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

halftheworldaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CSQ - Quebec Application - Employment References

We've decided to start getting all the supporting information together for our CSQ application, so this may be the first of many questions

I'm going to start by getting references for my employment history, but I don't really want to ask my current employer for a reference, is it okay to provide other evidence of my current employment like contract of employment?
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: CSQ - Quebec Application - Employment References

Originally Posted by neilt
We've decided to start getting all the supporting information together for our CSQ application, so this may be the first of many questions

I'm going to start by getting references for my employment history, but I don't really want to ask my current employer for a reference, is it okay to provide other evidence of my current employment like contract of employment?
Can't you ask your employer for a letter and tell them you need it for some kind of insurance plan or a rental agreement or something? You don't have to list your job duties in the CSQ employer reference letters so it could be quite a generic letter (your name, position, salary and duration of employment).
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kleinluka
Can't you ask your employer for a letter and tell them you need it for some kind of insurance plan or a rental agreement or something? You don't have to list your job duties in the CSQ employer reference letters so it could be quite a generic letter (your name, position, salary and duration of employment).
Thanks, good idea never really thought of that

Will give that a shot.

When you applied for your CSQ did you get copies of documents notarized?
Old Aug 19th 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Will give that a shot.

I submitted my employment letters as certified copies except the current job (my twp job) which was an original.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

1314jane will become famous soon enough

Will give that a shot.

It is important to have them certified as true copies, if they are not originals(this is the same as notarised, by the way).

I confided in a senior colleague, not my manager, that I was planning to emigrate and she did the letter for me. My husband did the same.
It is important to do it from current employers - this is what they will use to "code" your employment and therefore employability and this means more points!
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 1314jane
It is important to have them certified as true copies, if they are not originals(this is the same as notarised, by the way).

I confided in a senior colleague, not my manager, that I was planning to emigrate and she did the letter for me. My husband did the same.
It is important to do it from current employers - this is what they will use to "code" your employment and therefore employability and this means more points!
Thanks for the reply, we're planning on getting all copies notarised.

Just need to find all the documents and request references we need to support our application

Not sure what our chances are of being selected are, i've been through the selection grid and I think we look okay on paper, it may come down to what the immigration officer gives us for adaptability, so fingers crossed
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kleinluka
I've been looking into the details for employment references and I think I need to provide a job description as well. When you applied did you just provide the basic details (i.e. your name, position, salary and duration of employment)

Taken from the Quebec website:

Les attestations de travail doivent être produites sur le papier en-tête de l’entreprise. Elles doivent être datées, signées et porter le nom du signataire. Elles doivent aussi contenir les renseignements suivants :

* vos dates de début et de fin d'emploi;
* le cas échéant, votre numéro d’immatriculation à la sécurité sociale relative à votre activité professionnelle;
* les coordonnées de vos employeurs, y compris leur numéro de téléphone;
* les postes que vous avez occupés et la description des tâches que vous avez effectuées.

I think the last bit is looking for a job description or maybe my french isn't very good
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Benoit is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been looking into the details for employment references and I think I need to provide a job description as well. When you applied did you just provide the basic details (i.e. your name, position, salary and duration of employment)

Taken from the Quebec website:

Les attestations de travail doivent être produites sur le papier en-tête de l’entreprise. Elles doivent être datées, signées et porter le nom du signataire. Elles doivent aussi contenir les renseignements suivants :

* vos dates de début et de fin d'emploi;
* le cas échéant, votre numéro d’immatriculation à la sécurité sociale relative à votre activité professionnelle;
* les coordonnées de vos employeurs, y compris leur numéro de téléphone;
* les postes que vous avez occupés et la description des tâches que vous avez effectuées.

I think the last bit is looking for a job description or maybe my french isn't very good
Hi,

My "attestation de travail" had my name, the name of the company I work for, the day I started working for them, my job title, a brief description of my job and the contact details of the person who wrote the letter.

I hope this will help,

Benoit
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

sasi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Benoit
Hi,

My "attestation de travail" had my name, the name of the company I work for, the day I started working for them, my job title, a brief description of my job and the contact details of the person who wrote the letter.

I hope this will help,

Benoit
I am also in the process of starting to gather documents to apply for the CSQ. But I'm waiting to done with school in early 2010. My question is, do I have to list all the jobs I had...? I am student and I have had odd jobs not relevant at all to what I'm studying, for which I can't even get a reference letter on "letterhead". I will graduate with a bachelor in nursing and other than I dont have any other diploma and wont have any experience as a nurse but It does not seem to be a requirement anymore for CSQ even though it does get you some additional points.
My first language is french (did primary and secondary education in French), english being my second language. I am single, no children, never been to Canada/Quebec and dont have any close relatives there. I have about 56 points without the adaptability points... I guess what I am looking for is advice and tips from ppl who have been through the process before.
Thanks for readin...!
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Benoit
Hi,

I hope this will help,

Benoit
This is what I did as well, and for all employment. You will also need university transcripts if applicable. They are also quite hot on proving language ability, even just a self attestation. My french husband also had to prove he could actually speak french!

All in all, from date of application to receiving the CSQ was only 4 months - expect longer if you haven't any french "evidence". Immigration Canada was only 2 months after this including processing our medicals.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 1314jane
This is what I did as well, and for all employment. You will also need university transcripts if applicable. They are also quite hot on proving language ability, even just a self attestation. My french husband also had to prove he could actually speak french!

All in all, from date of application to receiving the CSQ was only 4 months - expect longer if you haven't any french "evidence". Immigration Canada was only 2 months after this including processing our medicals.
One thing we still need to decide is who to put down as the main applicant

My girlfriend's french is a lot better than mine but my employment experience may be in more demand.

At the moment I think it would be better for my girlfriend to be the main applicant as her French is better, anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Honestly, I don't think it matters. We put my husband in the end, not because of the language, but his job got more points than me (mine is regulated in QC) - it's the points in the end that matter, so that may be your best option.

All that will happen in the end is that the main applicant "signs" to declare how much money you are bringing in once you go to customs as landed immigrants.

The french thing IS important, but as long as you have a good attestation for your language abilities (and we had no formal qualifications other than my o-level!) that should be fine. Employability is more important in the long run..

Hope that helps!
Old Aug 24th 2009, 2:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sasi
I am also in the process of starting to gather documents to apply for the CSQ. But I'm waiting to done with school in early 2010. My question is, do I have to list all the jobs I had...? I am student and I have had odd jobs not relevant at all to what I'm studying, for which I can't even get a reference letter on "letterhead". I will graduate with a bachelor in nursing and other than I dont have any other diploma and wont have any experience as a nurse but It does not seem to be a requirement anymore for CSQ even though it does get you some additional points.
My first language is french (did primary and secondary education in French), english being my second language. I am single, no children, never been to Canada/Quebec and dont have any close relatives there. I have about 56 points without the adaptability points... I guess what I am looking for is advice and tips from ppl who have been through the process before.
Thanks for readin...!
I guess i shouln't have posted my post here... kind of hijacking the OP's topic... Sorry, i didn't mean to.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sasi
Thanks for readin...!
For the CSQ you only need references for the last 5 years, but I think you should try and get as many references as you can and include a covering letter explaining why you haven't been able to provide references for all your past employment. I know I won't able to get reference for one of my past employers as the company as gone bust during the recession, so will need to explain that somewhere in my application.

If you leave gaps in your employment or education history they'll probably want to know why, so its better to explain it up front rather than at an interview.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

For the CSQ you only need references for the last 5 years, but I think you should try and get as many references as you can and include a covering letter explaining why you haven't been able to provide references for all your past employment. I know I won't able to get reference for one of my past employers as the company as gone bust during the recession, so will need to explain that somewhere in my application.

If you leave gaps in your employment or education history they'll probably want to know why, so its better to explain it up front rather than at an interview.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much Neilt for your answer, yes that helps. But I was thinking I have been a full-time student for the past 5 years so student has been my principal activity and I probably won't have much experience as a nurse when I'll be ready to apply. Of course I have worked here and there as student, so I guess my question is If I did provide maybe 2 reference letters from 2 past employers would that be ok? and not provide all of them? (some places i only worked like 1 month, some other places I was a temp for a couple of weeks, so really can't get to all of them).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.