CRS outlook

Old Jul 24th 2019, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

catnat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CRS outlook

Hi everyone, I just wanted to get some insights on the CRS trend this year and advice on improving my score. I currently have 451 points and entered the pool in early June this year. I'm rather surprised at the CRS trend this year; to think that this time last year, 451 was a safe bet for an ITA and this year the CRS has rarely dipped below 451. So, what I wanted to find out is:

1) do you think there's a chance that the CRS will reach 450 again this year?

2) what has caused the sudden influx of candidates with score of 451+? (I hope that the current trend of roughly 3000 applicants joining the 451+ bracket won't continue)

3) I'm thinking of retaking IELTS in an effort to bump my score up to 454 (I got a CLB of 10 in everything but writing, which was a CLB 9). In the event that my performance is worse the second time round, will I have to use the new score or can I use the higher score (my current score is valid for a little over another year)?

4) I'm currently preparing for TEF and wondered if anyone has any experience they can share regarding the difficulty of this test. I took AS-Level French and got a B, but that was over 10 years ago. I started taking daily 2 hour classes 2 weeks ago and my plan is to take it on 30 August.

Beyond doing a post-grad diploma/degree in Canada or a PhD (neither of which I want to do for financial reasons), I'm not really sure what else I can do to improve my score. Though I am considering doing a diploma in Canada as a means to obtaining a post-grad work permit (though I haven't researched this avenue yet and am not sure of the criteria).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Jul 24th 2019, 6:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CRS outlook

Originally Posted by catnat
1) do you think there's a chance that the CRS will reach 450 again this year?
Yes. But there's also a chance that CIC will scrap EE and introduce a list of only a few eligible occupations as they have done in the past, with them pretty much anything can happen. There are approx 6500 people in the pool scoring over 450 at the mo, so enough for at least the next couple of draws anyway.

2) what has caused the sudden influx of candidates with score of 451+? (I hope that the current trend of roughly 3000 applicants joining the 451+ bracket won't continue)
My guess (and it is just a guess) is that it will be people who now have enough Canadian work experience to apply, or who have obtained further education after not scoring enough a year or two ago. It could also be the introduction of extra points from things like Canadian siblings etc, so people that previously scored lower now get higher points.

3) I'm thinking of retaking IELTS in an effort to bump my score up to 454 (I got a CLB of 10 in everything but writing, which was a CLB 9). In the event that my performance is worse the second time round, will I have to use the new score or can I use the higher score (my current score is valid for a little over another year)?
You can use whichever you like, but you should already be scoring the maximum of 24 points if you're CLB Level 9 or above in all? What is your actual score? Re: TEF, 'basic' is about French A Level standard, so if you're at that or higher by the end of next month you should be fine for some extra points.

Beyond doing a post-grad diploma/degree in Canada or a PhD (neither of which I want to do for financial reasons), I'm not really sure what else I can do to improve my score. Though I am considering doing a diploma in Canada as a means to obtaining a post-grad work permit (though I haven't researched this avenue yet and am not sure of the criteria).
How about a job offer? Is that an option? A study permit could be good too if you have the funds. Can you break your points score down for us so we can see how you can bump it up a little? Although tbh, at 451 I'd imagine you'd get an ITA at some point, although it may not be in the next few draws.

Good luck.

Old Jul 24th 2019, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes. But there's also a chance that CIC will scrap EE and introduce a list of only a few eligible occupations as they have done in the past, with them pretty much anything can happen. There are approx 6500 people in the pool scoring over 450 at the mo, so enough for at least the next couple of draws anyway.

My guess (and it is just a guess) is that it will be people who now have enough Canadian work experience to apply, or who have obtained further education after not scoring enough a year or two ago. It could also be the introduction of extra points from things like Canadian siblings etc, so people that previously scored lower now get higher points.

You can use whichever you like, but you should already be scoring the maximum of 24 points if you're CLB Level 9 or above in all? What is your actual score? Re: TEF, 'basic' is about French A Level standard, so if you're at that or higher by the end of next month you should be fine for some extra points.

How about a job offer? Is that an option? A study permit could be good too if you have the funds. Can you break your points score down for us so we can see how you can bump it up a little? Although tbh, at 451 I'd imagine you'd get an ITA at some point, although it may not be in the next few draws.

Good luck.
Thank you so much for the feedback. My IELTS scores were L:9, R:9, W:7 and S: 8.5 (so I got 133 out of the 136 points available for a first language). My score breakdown is:CRS - Human Capital - Age83 CRS - Human Capital - Level of Education135CRS - Skill Transferability - Education50CRS - Skill Transferability - Foreign Work Experience50CRS - Human Capital - First Official Language Proficiency133
I scored 0 in the other categories.

I'm just paranoid about the impact of the upcoming elections on EE and worried that there might be another random 4 week gap in between draws which will cause the cutoff to shoot up again before it gets to 451.

I suppose I'll have to look into doing a post-grad diploma/degree in Canada as a plan B. I've been working on immigrating since last October and after all the time, effort and resources I've poured into the process it would be crushing to have nothing to show for it. Any advice on how I can improve my score or any other avenue to immigrate would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 6:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose I'll have to look into doing a post-grad diploma/degree in Canada as a plan B. I've been working on immigrating since last October and after all the time, effort and resources I've poured into the process it would be crushing to have nothing to show for it. Any advice on how I can improve my score or any other avenue to immigrate would be much appreciated.
Which province are you aiming for and what is your NOC code? When do you have your next birthday (i.e. when will you lose another 6 points)?

I don't see any point in doing a post grad diploma, from your score I assume you already have a masters? So it won't get you any extra points anyway?

Old Jul 24th 2019, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Which province are you aiming for and what is your NOC code? When do you have your next birthday (i.e. when will you lose another 6 points)?

I don't see any point in doing a post grad diploma, from your score I assume you already have a masters? So it won't get you any extra points anyway?
I'm pretty flexible regarding provinces as long as they aren't too remote. My preferences so far are Ontario, BC and Manitoba but I'm open to others.
My birthday is at the end of December.
Regarding the post-grad diploma, I was thinking that it might be a way to get a post-grad work permit and get some Canadian work experience or maybe a route to a PNP. I do already have a masters but not from a Canadian university.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 12:41 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Would an International Experience Canada 2 year open work permit be an option for you? If you are under 31 - or under 35 if you have an Irish ancestor - it could give you the chance to get a year or two of work experience if you are able to get an invite.

International Experience Canada: Who can apply
Old Jul 25th 2019, 1:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm pretty flexible regarding provinces as long as they aren't too remote. My preferences so far are Ontario, BC and Manitoba but I'm open to others.
My birthday is at the end of December.
Regarding the post-grad diploma, I was thinking that it might be a way to get a post-grad work permit and get some Canadian work experience or maybe a route to a PNP. I do already have a masters but not from a Canadian university.
I would doubt that you'd get an study permit for a diploma if you already have a masters tbh. When you entered the pool of applicants, did you tick Ontario as a province you wish to move to? Ontario PNP may be an option, they select those scoring over 400 or meeting specific criteria.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Would an International Experience Canada 2 year open work permit be an option for you? If you are under 31 - or under 35 if you have an Irish ancestor
OP will need the Irish citizenship option - she's 34 if my calculation are correct given her points for her age mentioned above.