Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Crossing border with more than 10,000CDN

Crossing border with more than 10,000CDN

Old Dec 28th 2004, 2:50 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 180
Raska will become famous soon enoughRaska will become famous soon enough
Default Crossing border with more than 10,000CDN

I know, when crossing the border, i should report if I carry more than 10,000 CDN with me. The question is:

Is that 10,000 per person or per family? meaning, if we are 2 people and we have (ie. 14,000 CDN) with us, do we still need to report if each one is carrying just 7,000 CDN?

Thanks

Last edited by Raska; Dec 28th 2004 at 2:52 pm.
Raska is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2004, 11:41 pm
  #2  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 4,483
Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crossing border with more than 10,000CDN

Originally Posted by Raska
I know, when crossing the border, i should report if I carry more than 10,000 CDN with me. The question is:

Is that 10,000 per person or per family? meaning, if we are 2 people and we have (ie. 14,000 CDN) with us, do we still need to report if each one is carrying just 7,000 CDN?

Thanks
Answer the immigration officer's questions truthfully and you should have no problem. There are forms to fill out if you have the amount you mention and slitting it between family members will not solve the problem so fess up. They need to know where the money is coming from.
Jim Humphries is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2004, 2:23 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 180
Raska will become famous soon enoughRaska will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Crossing border with more than 10,000CDN

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Answer the immigration officer's questions truthfully and you should have no problem. There are forms to fill out if you have the amount you mention and slitting it between family members will not solve the problem so fess up. They need to know where the money is coming from.

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your reply, but please don't get me wrong. I just though if we are two then there should be no need to report unless it exceeds 20,000 for both of us and i was not sure if that rule (reporting over 10,000 CDN) stands for one person or one family.

Thanks anyway.
Raska is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2004, 4:59 am
  #4  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 4,483
Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crossing border with more than 10,000CDN

Originally Posted by Raska
Hi Jim,
Thanks for your reply, but please don't get me wrong. I just though if we are two then there should be no need to report unless it exceeds 20,000 for both of us and i was not sure if that rule (reporting over 10,000 CDN) stands for one person or one family.

Thanks anyway.
I put that in just to be clear.
Jim Humphries is offline  
Old Dec 30th 2004, 1:14 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 175
rahul_singh23 will become famous soon enoughrahul_singh23 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Crossing border with more than 10,000CDN

Jim,

One clarification pls. Does it work at port of entry?

If I take same day bank amount receipt from ATM and 2-3 weeks old bank statement from US bank having more than sufficient money.

Or Do I need real cash/bank draft/cashier check/ travelling check?

Thanks


Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
I put that in just to be clear.
rahul_singh23 is offline  
Old Dec 30th 2004, 1:29 am
  #6  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 4,483
Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crossing border with more than 10,000CDN

Originally Posted by rahul_singh23
Jim,

One clarification pls. Does it work at port of entry?

If I take same day bank amount receipt from ATM and 2-3 weeks old bank statement from US bank having more than sufficient money.

Or Do I need real cash/bank draft/cashier check/ travelling check?

Thanks
The bank statement and ATM slip will be sufficient.
Jim Humphries is offline  
Old Jan 1st 2005, 10:15 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 117
nonong is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Crossing border with more than 10,000CDN

I had a post on this issue when I landed before. The bottom line is this:

* DO NOT BRING CASH (or you are also liable to U.S. Customs).
* Ask the bank to issue you a Cashier's Check, payable to BOTH YOUR name and YOUR wife's name.
* DO NOT endorse/sign the check on the back, or it automatically becomes "bearer form", which means it becomes like cash since anyone can then cash the check after it is signed/endorsed by you and your wife on the back
* U.S. law requires that any amount in bearer form in excess of US$10,000 must be declared to U.S. Customs, while Canadian law requires that any amount in bearer form in excess of CAD$10,000 must be declared to Canadian customs. BUT, and here is a big BUT, Canadian customs officers are NOT very knowledgeable about the law. They are not aware that if the money is not in bearer form, EVEN if it exceeds $1 Million, that it does NOT have to be declared. So it is better to declare the money to Canadian customs, just to play safe, or you can search the web, print a copy of the law, and bring a copy with you so that you don't have to declare the money but you have something to show in case they find it if they search you.


Originally Posted by rahul_singh23
Jim,

One clarification pls. Does it work at port of entry?

If I take same day bank amount receipt from ATM and 2-3 weeks old bank statement from US bank having more than sufficient money.

Or Do I need real cash/bank draft/cashier check/ travelling check?

Thanks
nonong is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.