Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Crossing border with Legal opinion-admissability

Crossing border with Legal opinion-admissability

Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:53 am
USA
Just Joined

USA is just really niceUSA is just really niceUSA is just really niceUSA is just really niceUSA is just really niceUSA is just really niceUSA is just really niceUSA is just really nice
Default Crossing border with Legal opinion-admissability

Planning to enter Canada from US (Land), a debt related matter occured in the middle east earlier and the financial institute issued an international warrant through the interpol.
i counsulted an immigration attorney in canada and he prepared a legal opinon and issued a letter to canadian immigration officer explaning that this offense is not equivalent to an offense as per canada law and therefore i'm admissable to canada under the canadian immigration law, he advised to take this letter while crossing the border (just incase).
to which extent i can rely on this letter at the border and doesn't it seem an interpol issue is different from criminal record admissability regardless the offense type! as canada has an obligation towards the requesting country?
kindly advise.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:34 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crossing border with Legal opinion-admissability

Hi

Originally Posted by USA
Planning to enter Canada from US (Land), a debt related matter occured in the middle east earlier and the financial institute issued an international warrant through the interpol.
i counsulted an immigration attorney in canada and he prepared a legal opinon and issued a letter to canadian immigration officer explaning that this offense is not equivalent to an offense as per canada law and therefore i'm admissable to canada under the canadian immigration law, he advised to take this letter while crossing the border (just incase).
to which extent i can rely on this letter at the border and doesn't it seem an interpol issue is different from criminal record admissability regardless the offense type! as canada has an obligation towards the requesting country?
kindly advise.
The letter might be nice to have, but the big but if there is an international warrant out for you, there is a good chance you may be arrested for extradition. I suggest you check the Interpol Red notices to see if you are listed http://www.interpol.int/Public/Notices/default.asp
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:52 am
USA
Just Joined

USA is just really niceUSA is just really niceUSA is just really niceUSA is just really niceUSA is just really niceUSA is just really niceUSA is just really niceUSA is just really nice

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The letter might be nice to have, but the big but if there is an international warrant out for you, there is a good chance you may be arrested for extradition. I suggest you check the Interpol Red notices to see if you are listed http://www.interpol.int/Public/Notices/default.asp
Thanks for your response, Interpol web site displays only tiny number of notices those approved to be published for public but much more is their yet to be published , so we can't decide if name not found!.
so the IO might concern on the warrant existance regardless the offense nature?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

"Debt related matter." Is this a default on a debt, which is not a criminal offence in Canada (or most Western nations) or something different - like fraud?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 4:16 am
USA
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
"Debt related matter." Is this a default on a debt, which is not a criminal offence in Canada (or most Western nations) or something different - like fraud?
Bouncing post dated company cheque with no intention to defraud, but Gulf (dubai) law consider it criminal offense (Fraud) if the cheque bounce for Non Sufficent Fund(NSF) against the signatory.
the fraud element was the concern of the canadian attorney prior to issue the legal opinion with careful review of all related documents.