Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Crofty82's discussion on Quebec Landing

Crofty82's discussion on Quebec Landing

Old Jul 26th 2018, 10:25 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crofty82's discussion on Quebec Landing

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I cant see it being a problem as you have no intention of living in Quebec.
I know Quebec has a special application process but I thought that under the Canadian Charter, citizens and PRs could live anywhere in Canada? In which case why couldn’t a new PR ‘land’ at Montreal or Quebec City and then live in the province?

Not that I wish to live in Quebec, just curious.
Old Jul 26th 2018, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COPR - Landing city different from destination city

Originally Posted by crofty82

I know Quebec has a special application process but I thought that under the Canadian Charter, citizens and PRs could live anywhere in Canada? In which case why couldn’t a new PR ‘land’ at Montreal or Quebec City and then live in the province?

What if they had been nominated for PR by Manitoba? For me its simple if I suspect that they have no intention of living in the Province that nominated them then I won't land them therefore no PR status and still treated as a visitor. If suspected of being inadmissible for misrep or non compliance then entry could be refused and they end up being sent back home dependent on the circumstances. A Province could withdraw their PR application prior to being landed.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 4:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Further to Former Lancastrians very helpful post - which you should take heed of as he is a CBSA Officer!

Most Provinces require you to sign an undertaking that it is your intention to reside there for the foreseeable future. "All applicants must make a commitment to reside in xyz, with his/her dependents," They have nominated you for Permanent Residence because the Province wants you to live there and feels you can contribute to the Province in some way... and for no other reason.

There's an interesting article about it here.
In the case of individuals where indications at the POE are that they no longer intend to reside in the nominating Province/Territory, they may be reported under section A44(1) for non-compliance with paragraph 87(2)(b) of the IRPA.
Where it becomes evident that an individual never intended to reside in the nominating Province or Territory, this could give rise to an allegation of misrepresentation, pursuant to paragraph 40(1)(a) of the IRPA.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 27th 2018 at 4:54 am.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 10:22 am

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LizLon
This is a very interesting thread indeed. All of this makes sense (I'm assuming here as we are spousal application) if you have been nominated under a provincial system... but for a spousal application? We will be living in Ottawa because it's the closest city to Montreal! Which is where I'm from (kind of) and where my mother currently resides. My father is in Ottawa. My british spouse doesn't speak French, hence the move to Ontario... but only Air Canada flies direct to Ottawa from London and they are three times more expensive than a flight to Montreal (where we usually land when we go on holiday)...

So, if we land in Montreal with the intention of going to Ottawa (which, let's be in honest, in terms of distance is pretty darn close) will they send us back? Also what is the deal with Quebec having their own system? Could they turn us away or not 'land' us because we will be living in Ontario?

Many thanks!
That's kind of what I was getting at also. We're not a spousal application, we're applying for EE as FSWs; we received an ITA, applied and are now in the system.

As we weren't nominated by a province, under the law as I understand it we could both land and live in Quebec if we wished to.

With my pathetic French however it would not be advisable.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

That's kind of what I was getting at also. We're not a spousal application, we're applying for EE as FSWs; we received an ITA, applied and are now in the system.

As we weren't nominated by a province, under the law as I understand it we could both land and live in Quebec if we wished to.

With my pathetic French however it would not be advisable.
Not quite correct. If applying under Express Entry for Federal Skilled Worker you must plan to live outside the Province of Quebec

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-workers.html

Quebec has a special agreement with the Government of Canada on immigration. The province has its own rules for choosing immigrants who will adapt well to living there.

To apply as a skilled worker in Quebec, you must apply to:
Old Jul 27th 2018, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Not quite correct. If applying under Express Entry for Federal Skilled Worker you must plan to live outside the Province of Quebec

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-workers.html

Quebec has a special agreement with the Government of Canada on immigration. The province has its own rules for choosing immigrants who will adapt well to living there.

To apply as a skilled worker in Quebec, you must apply to:
Accepted, although I understood that to apply to the those applying to emigrate, rather than those who already have PR. From the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms:

Section 6: Mobility Rights
  1. Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in, and leave, Canada.
  2. Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right:
    • to move to, and take up residence in, any province, and
    • to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 1:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Accepted, although I understood that to apply to the those applying to emigrate, rather than those who already have PR. From the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms:
Which you don't yet.

I've moved your posts and the associated responses to a thread of your own - rather than hijack another thread - so you can discuss Quebec / Charter of Rights

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 27th 2018 at 1:57 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Which you don't yet.

I've moved your posts and the associated responses to a thread of your own - rather than hijack another thread - so you can discuss Quebec / Charter of Rights
Fair enough. I am genuinely fascinated to know if someone with COPR in hand who did not go via the PNP route would face any issues doing their landing at an airport in Quebec.

But then, I am widely regarded as someone who needs to get out more.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 2:38 pm
Banned

Fair enough. I am genuinely fascinated to know if someone with COPR in hand who did not go via the PNP route would face any issues doing their landing at an airport in Quebec.

But then, I am widely regarded as someone who needs to get out more.
It's always good to ask about things you are interested in - but perhaps not to quite that extent/depth on somebody else's thread.

I'm not sure you could do a "landing" in Quebec unless you had the required CSQ / Quebec approval etc. - you presumably could be refused by the CBSA officer as they would presume you were trying to evade the requirements for Quebec Immigration.. so would then risk being sent back on the next flight! If you were lucky they might just put you on a flight to Toronto I suppose.. but would it be worth the risk? Better to land elsewhere, wait 6 months or so and then relocate to Quebec as a Permanent Resident!

https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv....l-airport.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 27th 2018 at 2:42 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I'm not sure you could do a "landing" in Quebec unless you had the required CSQ / Quebec approval etc. - you presumably could be refused by the CBSA officer as they would presume you were trying to evade the requirements for Quebec Immigration.. so would then risk being sent back on the next flight! If you were lucky they might just put you on a flight to Toronto I suppose.. but would it be worth the risk? Better to land elsewhere, wait 6 months or so and then relocate to Quebec as a Permanent Resident!

https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv....l-airport.html
I suspect you absolutely right. I can see what Quebec are trying to achieve, but if one was minded to live there and foresaw issues such as those at their airport, all they'd need to do is complete their landing at Pearson or Ottawa, hire a car, drive over the border and be done with it. Personally, I wouldn't think it worth the risk as if they were found to have misled IRCC in their application their PR could of course be revoked.

Again, this is theoretical. If we are fortunate enough to get PR we will likely be choosing either Nova Scotia or Ontario. That said, we visited Montreal earlier in the year and found it a charming city.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crofty82's discussion on Quebec Landing

Except French is required for many jobs including all government positions,, and many areas of Quebec (even Montreal itself) are functionally unilingual ............. 2 years ago, we met a man on The Canadian (VIA's train from Toronto to Vancouver).

He was from Montreal, born and bred there, he had learnt French in high school and by plating on the streets with English-speaking kids. But he then had not spoken English again ........... he stayed in the same neighbourhood, but it became a French neighbourhood. He went to university, married a unilingual Montreal woman, and literally never needed to use English in his work or leisure.

Now over 60, he decided that he wanted to ride The Canadian to Vancouver, spend a few days there, and then fly back to Montreal. His wife could just say Hello, Goodbye and Thank you in English, but Robert found that his English began to return during the train trip from Montreal to Toronto, several hours in Toronto, and then on the train .............. but he also found that many of the passengers on the train were not eager to converse with him because one had to be patient.

We got on the train in Winnipeg, 2 days after it left Toronto, and by that time he was very coherent, his English had come back much better that my French ever would, and both OH and myself had many long interesting talks with him.

so while what you hypothesize MIGHT happen, I think it will be a relatively rare occasion that someone does it exactly that way.