Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Criminal Rehabilitation - My story to help others

Criminal Rehabilitation - My story to help others

Old Jun 11th 2011, 7:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal Rehabilitation - My story to help others

Originally Posted by mojovibe
Yes you will be ok, most driving offences are only misdemeaners and not incriminating. You don't even have to mention that you possess them on your licence on the background check form, as there was no arrest for the offences. The fact that you have no trace on your background check, means you are clear of any incrimination that could cause a delay or rejection from the immigration section. I had an OPL ban some years ago, and mine came back as no trace even though there was a court hearing. Your police certificate only lasts for about 3 months, then you may have to submit another, but they carry out an interpol check on you anyway when the time arises, usually at the port of entry when you move there. So I wouldn't worry about minor offences such as no insurance or speeding and the like. I got caught driving with no L plates and no insurance back in 81, and I got a £300.00 fine and 2 endorsements. That really hurt me, as my wages were only £19.50 a week, and I gave my mum a tenner a week board money. That was much worse than having a criminal record I can tell you.

Anyway good luck with your application and all the best.
Sorry, but driving without insurance *is* a criminal offence. I agree that other driving offences such as speeding are just civil, but driving without insurance is not one of those.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point

How come that there is *no trace* on his background check then?

Last edited by mojovibe; Jun 11th 2011 at 11:23 pm. Reason: missing text
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mojovibe
How come that there is *no trace* on his background check then?
Not a clue. But driving without insurance or a licence is criminal, only things like speeding etc are civil.

He'll still need to declare them on his forms anyway.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

dewales001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not a clue. But driving without insurance or a licence is criminal, only things like speeding etc are civil.

He'll still need to declare them on his forms anyway.

On the letter that came with the Police Certificate, NO TRACE means you do not have any convictions, cautions, reprimands or final warning held on the PNC.

I strongly believe the points and fines I got from the court were given as Fixed Penalty notice and not convictions. Also, I wasn't arrested nor detained for these offences.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 2:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dewales001
On the letter that came with the Police Certificate, NO TRACE means you do not have any convictions, cautions, reprimands or final warning held on the PNC.

I strongly believe the points and fines I got from the court were given as Fixed Penalty notice and not convictions. Also, I wasn't arrested nor detained for these offences.
Doesn't matter if you weren't arrested or detained, that has no bearing on it at all. Somebody that receives a court summons for criminal damage may not have been arrested, but it's still a conviction if they are found guilty.

What kind of visa are you applying for? Your call, but personally I'd just declare them - if you don't think they are criminal convictions then it doesn't matter does it? But at least then you've been honest and won't be at risk of having your visa or PR revoked at a later date.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Police certificate statistics (PDF) is an interesting overview from ACPO of immigration related police certificates issued over the last few years.

Summary of applications:
90,000 certificates per year
23% are premium service

Results:
85% NO TRACE
3% NO LIVE TRACE
11% TRACE
Old Jun 30th 2011, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Sun10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nightwolves20
I had a dd and an unlawfull wounding from back in 96, as it was old enough i was deemed rehabilitated,only found out i needed the rehab paperwork on my 3rd visit to Canada. 2 previous visits i sailed through passport control, grabbed my bags and was off, visit 3 it took 3 1/2 hours in immigration. Had to tell em the whole story, explain sentences, 12 month ban and 9 months suspended for 2 years respectively while my(Canadian) fiance, now wife was waiting to pick me up from the airport. They interviewed her too and i eventually got a temporary residency permit for my stay for $200. Moral of the story, if you have a record, dont chance it. I was told i could have been refused entry to Canada and if that happens you're barred for life.
When i got my rehab paperwork back i had no problem, just sailed through again.

Getting the paperwork was easy too, downloaded the forms from the Canadian High Commision site, sent it back with my police check, came back really quick.

Just waiting to move now, i got my visa in my passport 2 weeks ago on Thursday !!!!! Woohoo!
I hope this helped someone,it is do-able with a record
Hi

How long it takes to apply for Information only.

Many Thanks
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

It took my son 16 weeks and (2 enquiry emails) to get his back.

Hope they're quicker with your's!

Poppit
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Jack333 will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice for my brother in-law, I know the answer in here somewhere but its all rather confusing!!

I am moving to Canada with my wife in August under the spousal sponsorship route.... My sister and her husband are now considering making the move but my brother in-law Tony has past convictions.

OK here goes back in 2000 Tony was 18 years old and convicted of Aggravated assault and received a 12 month custodial sentience only serving 6 months being released on the 27th July 2001 and this was spent in a young offenders prison not an Adult!!

The same year he was released he lost both his mum and sister in a road accident and although its no excuse in September 2001 he was found drunk driving. He went back to court where the judge took pity on him and gave him a driving ban of a year and a fine of 300.00

Can you please answer me this?
- Tonys first conviction will be tens years this month so does that mean he is or will be Rehabilitated for this particular offence??

- The DUI was was a ban of a year which ended in September 2002! so am I right in thinking that September 2012 will be the ten years rehabilitation??

Since 2002 he has not been involved in any criminal offences and has maintained a steady and successful job and has raised 3 wonderful children.

We have just applied for his ACPO so are awaiting that, once received do you think it would be wise to apply for rehabilitation or information only?? Sorry for the rather in-depth post!!

Many thanks Jack.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 8:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

From my limited knowledge of criminal rehab, seems you've got it right and in 2012 he'll be ok. Could be worth trying for criminal rehab now as it's close to the 10 year expiry, or just do an info only so he can find out where he stands.

Of course, this assumes that he's definitely eligible for a visa? That needs to be his first step before worrying about rehab, although he'd need that to visit you anyway I guess.

HTH.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:49 am
Just Joined

confused79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I would be really grateful for some help/advice. My husband had a DD conviction in August 2001. It was a 2yr ban and 100 hrs community service. Following the advice on this forum we received his police certificate today and it is still listed on it although it occured nearly 10 yrs ago, we thought that as it is over 5 years it may come back no live trace or stepped down.

Anyway we are planning to go to Canada in September (we didnt realise there would be any problems until only a week ago). So my question is has anyone sent away a rehab form for info with a police certificate listing the conviction and had it come back ok?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated as we're all booked up to go to my best friends wedding and this has really stressing me out.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by confused79
Hi all,

I would be really grateful for some help/advice. My husband had a DD conviction in August 2001. It was a 2yr ban and 100 hrs community service. Following the advice on this forum we received his police certificate today and it is still listed on it although it occured nearly 10 yrs ago, we thought that as it is over 5 years it may come back no live trace or stepped down.

Anyway we are planning to go to Canada in September (we didnt realise there would be any problems until only a week ago). So my question is has anyone sent away a rehab form for info with a police certificate listing the conviction and had it come back ok?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated as we're all booked up to go to my best friends wedding and this has really stressing me out.

Thanks in advance
From what you've said, your husband won't be automatically deemed rehabiliated until August 2013 (it's 10 years from the end of sentence i.e. the ban, not 10 years from conviction).

So he'll need to apply for rehab to enter Canada - info on what he needs to do is here...........http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp

Good luck.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

dasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys I have a question:

I hit a pedestrian after running a red light, I wasn't speeding nor DUI. Just was an accident. Is it a criminal offense according to Canadian law?

I was convicted to 4 months prison but I did not go to jail, instead, the gave me 2 years of conditional.

Cheers
Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dasalcedo
Hey guys I have a question:

I hit a pedestrian after running a red light, I wasn't speeding nor DUI. Just was an accident. Is it a criminal offense according to Canadian law?

I was convicted to 4 months prison but I did not go to jail, instead, the gave me 2 years of conditional.

Cheers
What were you actually charged with? You've said it wasn't speeding or DUI, but not what it was.

And how recent was this, was it since you sent in your police check for your FSW application, or prior to it? If the latter, what did your police check say?
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

dasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What were you actually charged with? You've said it wasn't speeding or DUI, but not what it was.

And how recent was this, was it since you sent in your police check for your FSW application, or prior to it? If the latter, what did your police check say?
Thanks christmasoompa, I was charged with personal injury according to the court documents. The accident was in 1.999 but I got the conviction in 2003.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.