Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Criminal Rehabilitation/information only timescales?

Criminal Rehabilitation/information only timescales?

Old Jan 14th 2010, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Location: In a house.... In the UK.... It's enough for some,but not for me!
BuddyNHolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Criminal Rehabilitation/information only timescales?

Hi there,

I have been looking through this forum for a while and found it very helpful so firstly thanks!

After doing a couple of searches (and looking through a couple of hundred posts!) I have a more specific question about being deemed rehabilitated.

We are looking to emigrate to Canada in about 3 years once we have got everything sorted, however to first visit this coming september.

The problem is my mum has a criminal conviction from 1999 or 2000 which requires her to be deemed rehabilitated, we think there may be a chance that the conviction is already spent under UK law,which we will be looking into.

My main question is does anyone have experience of a more concrete timescale to get the deemed rehabilitated forms back as up to a year is pretty vague and concerning considering we are booked to go in 8 months (only looked into visa after an obvious oversight on our part) also when you send the IMM444E form for information only,how long oes that take to get back>?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)
Old Jan 14th 2010, 6:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal Rehabilitation/information only timescales?

Originally Posted by BuddyNHolly
Hi there,

I have been looking through this forum for a while and found it very helpful so firstly thanks!

After doing a couple of searches (and looking through a couple of hundred posts!) I have a more specific question about being deemed rehabilitated.

We are looking to emigrate to Canada in about 3 years once we have got everything sorted, however to first visit this coming september.

The problem is my mum has a criminal conviction from 1999 or 2000 which requires her to be deemed rehabilitated, we think there may be a chance that the conviction is already spent under UK law,which we will be looking into.

My main question is does anyone have experience of a more concrete timescale to get the deemed rehabilitated forms back as up to a year is pretty vague and concerning considering we are booked to go in 8 months (only looked into visa after an obvious oversight on our part) also when you send the IMM444E form for information only,how long oes that take to get back>?

Criminal rehab can take around a year, but can also be much quicker - no way of knowing in advance I'm afraid. What was her conviction for and what was her sentence?

And just checking, but is your mum just coming with you on holiday or is she planning on emigrating to Canada too? If so, what's the visa plan for her - she qualifies for a visa in her own right?

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Criminal rehab can take around a year, but can also be much quicker - no way of knowing in advance I'm afraid. What was her conviction for and what was her sentence?

And just checking, but is your mum just coming with you on holiday or is she planning on emigrating to Canada too? If so, what's the visa plan for her - she qualifies for a visa in her own right?

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
I was just hoping there may be a chance that it's quicker than a year so thanks for your reply!
I don't know the name of the crime exactly as we don't have the forms back yet but i think it was mis-representation on a benefit claim which they saw fit to prosecute (although leniantly with a suspended sentence) despite the circumstances showing it was unintentional.
She is planning to emigrate but after me as i intend to sponser her.
I will hopefully be on the priority occupation list as a college tutor or vocational tutor.
Thanks for the welcome and the reply :-)
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I was just hoping there may be a chance that it's quicker than a year so thanks for your reply!
It definitely can be, hope it is for you and you get it back in time for her to visit Canada with you later this year.

She is planning to emigrate but after me as i intend to sponser her.
That's ok, just checking as we've had a couple of people recently who've planned to take parents with them and not been aware that they can't, or who have not known the wait time for parental sponsorship.

I will hopefully be on the priority occupation list as a college tutor or vocational tutor.
Fingers crossed the list doesn't change between now and you applying. Good luck!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:57 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,

hope you're not getting your mum to fill out the forms
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

We got ours back in under a month. Cleared. No further questions asked, so must have filled in forms correctly/given them what they needed.

When I enquired re timescale, they told me a few months, and it came back a few days later. I would think it varies according to workloads at the time - we may have just got lucky.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice Christmasoompa, I hope the list doesn't change either or I might just have to change career! lol
I have tried to research everything to get it right and hopefully thats enough

Kaye5 - That is exactly what I was hoping to read as a reply! I thought that the up to a year advise was hopefully an extreme situation to cover them for busy times, I hope no-ones visiting and their not busy! Thank you

Beaverquest - I'm definitely going to fill out the forms, I'm 26 and tried to get my mum to do them but she doesn't mix well with forms She only does my washing/cooking/cleaning so I'm going to let her off
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

She only does my washing/cooking/cleaning so I'm going to let her off
Ah, boys and their mums eh? Sure you can cope without her for that long?!? By the time she gets over you can amaze her with your ability to fend for yourself.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Ah, boys and their mums eh? Sure you can cope without her for that long?!? By the time she gets over you can amaze her with your ability to fend for yourself.
lol is it worse that I am a girl in my defence she is retired and has nothing better to do. I mean she likes looking after me! .......
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

lol is it worse that I am a girl
Ooops, sorry! Just assumed from the username you were male.

in my defence she is retired and has nothing better to do. I mean she likes looking after me! .......
Yeah, yeah!! Bet you find she'll manage to fill her time without you to look after!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 15th 2010 at 4:41 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Ooops, sorry! Just assumed from the username you were male.

lol thats ok I guessed that was why, it was the name of our dogs and i just liked it as a name! I was also lazy doing my profile!

Yeah, yeah!! Bet you find she'll manage to fill her time without you to look after!
What do you mean?! she can't have a life! lol