criminal record oops

Old Oct 14th 2009, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Location: Peru Minishant in a while newfoundland or calgary not that theres much difference
aufctartanarmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default criminal record oops

Hi

My family and myself are looking to move to canada we're just awaiting my fiancee's proof of citizenship coming through therefore she is going to sponsor me the thing i'm worried about is my criminal record has anyone on the board been in the same situation heres mine

2005 guy tries to hit my dad with a glass, reflex from me Ko'd the guy 13 witnesses unfortunately only 3 were mine

2006 almost 1 year later police arrive at my house charge me with assault £250 fine couldnt prove in court it was self defence on my fathers behalf as only 3 witnesses were in my favour

so was just hoping to hear if anyone has recently moved to canada with a criminal record and if it takes longer than someone without a CR
Old Oct 14th 2009, 7:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: criminal record oops

Originally Posted by aufctartanarmy
Hi

My family and myself are looking to move to canada we're just awaiting my fiancee's proof of citizenship coming through therefore she is going to sponsor me the thing i'm worried about is my criminal record has anyone on the board been in the same situation heres mine

2005 guy tries to hit my dad with a glass, reflex from me Ko'd the guy 13 witnesses unfortunately only 3 were mine

2006 almost 1 year later police arrive at my house charge me with assault £250 fine couldnt prove in court it was self defence on my fathers behalf as only 3 witnesses were in my favour

so was just hoping to hear if anyone has recently moved to canada with a criminal record and if it takes longer than someone without a CR
Hi,

I presume you know that you are inadmissible to Canada until at least 5 years have passed from the end of your sentence? And that you'll need criminal rehabiliation in order to enter Canada or apply for any type of visa.

So you'll need to wait until 2011, then apply for criminal rehab (before you apply for your visa) and then hopefully shouldn't have any problems.

Hopefully this section of the CIC website will help answer any questions you have....................http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/rehabil.asp

Hope that helps.