Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Criminal Record ! ... can i still get in?

Wikiposts

Criminal Record ! ... can i still get in?

Old Jan 19th 2009, 2:48 am
Just Joined

paul_37h is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Criminal Record ! ... can i still get in?

Hi Everyone , I have a criminal record , do you know if it will hinder/halt any attempt to emmigrate ?

Many Thanks
Paul
Old Jan 19th 2009, 2:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal Record ! ... can i still get in?

Originally Posted by paul_37h
Hi Everyone , I have a criminal record , do you know if it will hinder/halt any attempt to emmigrate ?

Many Thanks
Paul
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

Put simply, it may do. It will depend on the exact crime(s), sentence(s) and how long ago it was. If you can provide us with that info then somebody will be able to tell you whether or not you would be inadmissable to Canada and whether you can apply for criminal rehab.

Old Jan 19th 2009, 2:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks Chris , the crime (which didn't happen by the way ) is under investigation , I am awaiting to see if i will be charged (so would rather no divulge yet) .

I have land in NS , and my brother is there , I have been planning for some years , now this rubbish is causing me grief beyond belief . I am hoping It will sort itself out asap .

I was just wondering if the worst happened where i would stand .

Many Thanks.
paul
Old Jan 19th 2009, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

Oooh, IF convicted it seems doubtful since 5 or 10 years must have passed since your last conviction depending on severity.

A good guide to the rules is below;

http://www.canadavisa.com/immigratio...ilitation.html
Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks , lets hope justice is served , as i have my heart set on NS .
Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_37h
Thanks Chris , the crime (which didn't happen by the way ) is under investigation , I am awaiting to see if i will be charged (so would rather no divulge yet) .

I have land in NS , and my brother is there , I have been planning for some years , now this rubbish is causing me grief beyond belief . I am hoping It will sort itself out asap .

I was just wondering if the worst happened where i would stand .

Many Thanks.
paul

Ok, well it will depend on many things but assuming that the crime makes you inadmissable to Canada, you would have to apply for criminal rehabilitation before you can apply for any Canadian visa or enter Canada (cannot even visit without going through criminal rehab). The problem is that you cannot apply for criminal rehab until 5 years has passed from the end of your sentence - so if you are charged you have a long wait before you can apply for criminal rehab and cannot even visit Canada in the meantime.

This page from the CIC website may help...............http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/rehabil.asp